Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    I'm running 10.5.7 on a Mac, and I've tried Fugu, Terminal, and CyberDuck to transfer files to my Pre. It's rooted, and I've installed DropBear. I can't for the life of me figure out how to transfer a file TO the cursed thing. Download from? All day, every day. But that ain't helping me get a PNG file on my Pre for the Global Search hack.

Any ideas? I'm not an *****, and can understand simple directions (sit, lie down, roll over). Can anyone stop me from bashing my Pre in with a wet noodle?
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    BTW- the error I'm getting has to do with permissions. Somehow I feel like a sudo command would get the job done, but I'm just guessing. No way to put in "sudo" in either CyberDuck or Fugu as far as I know, and I'm really not too sure about the right format for SCP, to be honest.
    Use winSCP and put the following in the SFTP server protocol field: sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server

see here: pre dev wiki: SFTP Access
    Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    yeah i had the same problem i couldn't figure out any other way to do it except for using terminal, just use sudo before the command: sudo cp
    Global Posts
    453 Global Posts
    Finally got it- could only use the terminal.app. Here's the format, in case anyone's wondering. This assumes you're copying FROM your computer TO the Pre you've SSH'd into.

Code:
    scp [short user name]@[computer's ip address]:~/[Desktop]/[file name] [Path on the Pre]
    Couple things:

Replace "[Desktop]/[file name]" with whatever the path is- the "~" puts you in your user folder.

Put it together, and what've you got? Beside bibbity-bobitty-boo, of course. Here's an example:

Hope this helps someone- that took freakin' forever.
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    HA!
    Global Posts
    108 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by buyrihn View Post
    I'm running 10.5.7 on a Mac, and I've tried Fugu, Terminal, and CyberDuck to transfer files to my Pre. It's rooted, and I've installed DropBear. I can't for the life of me figure out how to transfer a file TO the cursed thing. Download from? All day, every day. But that ain't helping me get a PNG file on my Pre for the Global Search hack.

Any ideas? I'm not an *****, and can understand simple directions (sit, lie down, roll over). Can anyone stop me from bashing my Pre in with a wet noodle?
    please ignore: i'm not able to right to /usr/app/com.palm...../ directories after all, just /var ones.

i figured out in Cyberduck if you make a change in preference, SFTP, file transfers to use SCP, i can connect using SFTP to transfer back and forth from mac to pre. i never could figure out how to send a file to the pre short of through the USB port. for what it's worth.
    Last edited by aric; 06/30/2009 at 07:28 PM.
    i had the same problem on my mac. what i did is change the owner of the apps folder to the user name i made for my self. this is probably not cool to do, but it works for me

chown yourusername /usr/palm/applications/

now i can write to the apps folder using cyberduck.

btw: im using coda to do my coding and im loving its built in ftp server since it can modify files in the phone itself right on the same window. so i code, hit save and a second later i get a growl notification saying the file has been uploaded. then i open the app in my pre and see the progress

works sweet, i recommend it
    Quote Originally Posted by edgarwong View Post
    i had the same problem on my mac. what i did is change the owner of the apps folder to the user name i made for my self. this is probably not cool to do, but it works for me

chown yourusername /usr/palm/applications/

now i can write to the apps folder using cyberduck.

btw: im using coda to do my coding and im loving its built in ftp server since it can modify files in the phone itself right on the same window. so i code, hit save and a second later i get a growl notification saying the file has been uploaded. then i open the app in my pre and see the progress

works sweet, i recommend it
    Does anyone know if changing the permissions to the applications folder to the custom set userid do anything harmful? Does this mean i can only install applications from sftp as opposed to using root in terminaL?
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    root can always do whatever it needs to, but changing the owner on the applications isn't a good idea. If they need to access system resources, but aren't owned by root, it's not likely to work.