1.    #1  
    How should I do this? I have already untared the WebOS image into a folder and also untared the resources/NovacomInstaller.pkg.tar.gz file. What next?

I tried following the Mac instructions but can't seem to actually run NovacomInstaller.pkg (which makes sense as it seems to just be a folder).

Anyone?
    No one seems to be working on rooting the pre using Linux. I keep watching the predev wiki page, but no one has posted a procedure.
  3.    #3  
    Its crazy.. it should be much much easier than the other two methods, especially windows considering how everything I've seen on both of the guides are things I do almost daily on ubuntu. I feel like I'm just missing something simple..
    You can try running a VirtualBox Windows XP 32 bit to run the talk.py script... Just set up USB in VirtualBox, and you should be good. Thats how I rooted my Pre in Vista x64. Then you can telnet in or SSH in after you set that up, and once you set up SSH, you won't have to root the Pre again until an OS update comes out.
  5.    #5  
    Would I need to have a windows Cd, or torrent the OS, to use in virtualbox, or it it already "setup" to do this. I already have VBVBVB $installer$..
    Quote Originally Posted by theromanone View Post
    Would I need to have a windows Cd, or torrent the OS, to use in virtualbox, or it it already "setup" to do this. I already have VBVBVB $installer$..
    You'd have to have or acquire your own cd/image...
    Quote Originally Posted by theromanone View Post
    How should I do this? I have already untared the WebOS image into a folder and also untared the resources/NovacomInstaller.pkg.tar.gz file. What next?

I tried following the Mac instructions but can't seem to actually run NovacomInstaller.pkg (which makes sense as it seems to just be a folder).

Anyone?
    I think the instructions may be wrong for MacOS. I can't see how you can "run" a folder in a UNIX OS. If we can get a Mac person to tell us how it works, we may be able to run the root hack on Linux.

Are there any Mac people here that can comment?
    Quote Originally Posted by richrisa View Post
    I think the instructions may be wrong for MacOS. I can't see how you can "run" a folder in a UNIX OS. If we can get a Mac person to tell us how it works, we may be able to run the root hack on Linux.

Are there any Mac people here that can comment?
    PKG is a package installer for Mac OS, thats why you can run it on a Mac, you're not going to get far trying to run it on linux or windows.
    I don't think you can run a pkg on unbuntu. You need the novaterm file to get into the Pre root prompt. I have attached the opt folder from my Mac. Try opening the novaterm file through Terminal on ubuntu.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    I don't think you can run a pkg on unbuntu. You need the novaterm file to get into the Pre root prompt. I have attached the opt folder from my Mac. Try opening the novaterm file through Terminal on ubuntu.
    Its close, but novacom bails with an error. Thanks.

I'll have to find a windoze machine somewhere.