1.    #1  
    Anyway to convert the existing Pre Dev Wiki hacks into email installable ipk packages?

Threre are a number of great hacks but I'd prefer to not have to root the Pre. Since there's the new email loophole for ipk installing I was hoping these could easily be converted to an installable method without rooting the pre.

Here are the hacks of interest from pre dev wiki:

Autocorrect dictionary
    Camera mods
    Downloading in web browser functionality
    Dialer themes
    GPS Tracking
    Notifications/Reminders
    Also

Add/Remove Pages
    Turning phone onto roaming
    Not sure if anyone wants to convert them since palm is bound to close that loophole(as they should since its a security risk) in the next update. its alot safer to root your phone or wait for the SDK.
    Most of these require changing existing Web OS files, which is much dicier than installing a fresh application in a new location. I would expect that a central app to manage these "hacks" would be the safest way to go, just like hackmaster in the Palm OS days.
    I am not skilled enough to root my Pre or I would because i really want a couple pages and roaming I guess I will wait. I also want to change my notifications but i will wait for pimp my pre to fix some of the bugs
    Someone has already tried, unsuccessfully, to get cpu-scaling installable via this hack. Nocando, I'm pretty sure you can't overwrite operating system files with ipkg without remounting the filesystem.
    Copyright laws prevent developing an ipkg which contains a modified Palm file in it's entirety.

We have a Git repo where we're starting to store patches for these modifications: modifications in WebOS Internals - Gitorious - we're assuming context diffs to Palm files are kosher until we are advised otherwise by Palm.

It should be possible for people to write simple .ipkgs which download a patch from this repo, and use stgit to apply it (and use stgit again to remove it in the prerm script of the ipkg, so that a new version of the ipkg with an updated patch will unapply the old patch first, then apply the new patch).

It needs to use stgit rather than just plain old patch, in case multiple patches touch the same file.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by jsblair17 View Post
    I am not skilled enough to root my Pre or I would because i really want a couple pages and roaming I guess I will wait. I also want to change my notifications but i will wait for pimp my pre to fix some of the bugs
    I think an easier thing would be, Having a nice video telling people how to root their pre's...

If no one does it by the time it comes out in Canada, I will.