1.    #1  
    Hey guys, I searched and looked across the forums and also looked for an FAQ but didn't see any so I'll go ahead and ask my question.

I am interested in rooting my Pre but I am concerned that there might be permanent effects (like a bricked iPhone during jail breaking or pushed update)

I am familiar with the webos doctor application... Will this bring back my phone to stock no matter what? I don't want Sprint telling me I am SoL with a bricked 500 dollar phone!

Thanks a lot for your time.
    yes, it will absolutely bring it back. but rooting _by itself_ is very safe. All rooting is doing is opening up the port. The operating system itself was always there running.

Really safe.
    Nope, you don't have to worry about that and even if you wreck any of the files you can use the webOS doctor to make it just like new.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by rboatright View Post
    yes, it will absolutely bring it back. but rooting _by itself_ is very safe. All rooting is doing is opening up the port. The operating system itself was always there running.

Really safe.
    Thanks... aside from making CPU changes in terms of frequency and the sort, is there anything really dangerous to do that should be avoided?
    Yes, never ever do rm -rf /

Other than that, read pre dev wiki: Basic Linux Use and make sure you understand the commands.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    Yes, never ever do rm -rf /

Other than that, make sure you understand the commands.
    Even if I do that I can still recover though, with the flash, yes?

Fyi: i've been admining *nix boxes for 5 years now
    I think you can recover with the webOS doctor but I am unsure if you erase the whole FS...

8.    #8  
    well if it really is a ROM flash, from my experience you can really do most anything you want and always bring it back.. I just wanted to verify with you guys!