1.    #1  
    Now that people have figured out how to install apps on a non-rooted Pre... is anyone out there bright enough to figure out how to get telnet/SSH installed this way? I'm too chicken right now to root my Pre, and not skilled enough in the ways of Debian to figure out how to install it myself. I'd imagine an Debian/ARM version of SSH exists already though, so perhaps it's just a matter of finding a link to it and sending it to myself? Or does the package need to be modified?

Now, assuming we can get it on there, what would be interesting is to see if one could telnet or SSH to localhost and access the filesystem natively without having to root the Pre...
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    You can install ajaxphpterm and use it form your browser to use telnet.
    pre dev wiki: Graphical Shell with ajaxPHPterm

But you will need to root your phone.
    there is no way to do it without rooting... yet. but the tutorials on pre dev wiki: Welcome to the Pre/webOS Development Wiki are pretty easy to follow.

1. pre dev wiki: Enable Root Access
    2. pre dev wiki: Next Steps After Rooting

Then you can do a bunch of things, but you would be interested in these:
    3. pre dev wiki: Pre Terminal Options
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the replies... maybe I'll work up the courage to root my Pre tonight. But it would be awesome if someone out there figured out how to do it using the email trick
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Jones View Post
    Thanks for the replies... maybe I'll work up the courage to root my Pre tonight. But it would be awesome if someone out there figured out how to do it using the email trick
    Just remember that "rooting" your pre isn't like "rooting" an iPhone, which can be a scary process. You just type in the konami code and you're done.
  6. huh
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    The wiki provides simple step by step copy and paste instructions for rooting and then installing SSH. I would highly recommend doing that as it opens up the door for simple (also copy / paste edits) for you to try. My favorite being the roaming add-on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Doktor Jones View Post
    if you screw up its a simple fix... just run the web os doctor which you will be linked to when rooting your pre