Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Tip Calculator

I'm wondering if it make flames come out of my phone or if it is what it says it is.
    tip calculator works, but there is no "." so it only does whole numbers, and doesn't allow you to put the decimal place with the keyboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    tip calculator works, but there is no "." so it only does whole numbers, and doesn't allow you to put the decimal place with the keyboard.
    I concur. It is also deletable although I did put it right back on. As far as I can tell no bugs and it serves it's purpose you just have to round to the nearest dollar.
    For the record though, it is much better than the one I did!

All he has to do is get that decimal button in there.

Also, I don't think the tip should be rounded, I think it should give it exactly and if you choose to round up or down (especially if you're paying with cash) then do so.

If you're paying with credit, make it easy on yourself and put the tip amount exactly, since the calculator gives you the total - you don't have to do any math.
    LMAOOOOOOOOOOOO.

I downloaded the app, tried the app, e-mailed the developer with the "add decimal button" suggestion, told him he did a great job, and then came to the forum to give feedback and praised his work some more.

Right after I wrote that here in the forum, I received a nasty response from him accusing me of being a cheapskate for wanting my tip rounded to the nearest penny!!

LMAOOOO, in my post above I said that I didn't think the tip should be rounded. My only critique was about the display of dollar amounts as 999.99 instead of 99999.

Still lmaoooooooo.

Developers being fanboys of themselves and not accepting valid suggestions - not cool!
    Did the Tip Calculator delete completely or is it still in the directory like SimplyFlipFlops?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Had to post the full exchange. Dude is funny, I'm still laughing.

ME: I had done a tip calculator using javascript, but yours is much better.

The only thing I see wrong is that perhaps you should change out one of the clearing buttons for a “.” Button.

It seems to only do whole numbers. If you know basic math, you can figure it out – but for presentation sake, $17.65 should be displayed as 17.65 instead of 1765.

Great work!

HIM: Jesus, why are so many of you people such cheapskates that you want your tip to be accurate to the *penny*??

ME: Perhaps it's your time of the month or something, because you seem to be hypersensitive to a legitimate critique of the again, GREAT work you did.

I am not asking you to round the tip to the nearest dollar (your reference to the cheapskates) - I'm talking about the DISPLAY, not rounding.

Price in your app is the bill total. It doesn't allow me to put the bill as what it is $43.65, it only allows 4365. My bill isn't four thousand three-hundred and sixty-five dollars though. Likewise, if the tip is supposed to be $6.55 it should display as 6.55 instead of 655.

Jesus, if you can't handle valid suggestions for your app, maybe you should stop developing!

The only thing worse than being someone else's fanboy, is being your own fanboy!

HIM: > $43.65, it only allows 4365.

And it never occurred to you to just enter 44.

ME: How about this, don't call your app Tip Calculator, change it to Tip Estimator

HIM: Tell you what, I'll get right on writing that Scrooge McAsperger's mode! You've totally convinced me.

** ADVICE ** if you're a male developer going through M-PMS, don't release your app until your male PMS spell is over.
    Had to post the full exchange. Dude is funny, I'm still laughing.
    I think I have seen this episode on Seinfeld.
    VisorPhone Clone
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    he's even edited the webpage, complaing about people asking for decimals. it's pretty insane that people would want a decimal on a calculator i know.
    Man, I love that tip calculator just the way it is. Don't need a decimal point, I'm happy to round up, put the even-dollar tip amount on the check and add the thing in my head.
    LOL.

That's hilarious.

[sarcasm]

Seriously, he does such hard work out of the goodness of his heart and all he gets in return is "where's the decimal point?"

such thanklessness.

[/sarcasm]
    Don't **** him off anymore than he already is... He will release a decimal point fix for your @sses all right...
  13.    #13  
    From the website:
    It only does whole numbers, because if you insist that your tip be accurate to the penny you are a cheapskate weirdo. Here in the Colonies, we use paper money, not coins. If your bill is $44.22, just enter $45. Don't go all Scrooge McAsperger's on us, ok?
    You really set him off Taalibeen. I'm not sure where he is living but it sounds like all the money is made of paper. Some kind of no coins zone.

Anyway....like you said good app, just needed a bit of tweaking.
    Had to post the full exchange. ...
    More important to me than the functionality of the app is the attitude of the developer. I'll just use the calculator app in the Pre.

edit: Correct that from "more important" to "as important". :-)

thanks
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Works great, minus the decimal. First thing I noticed. Too bad he has an attitude.
    The first think I would say is, if you are using a tip calculator you are already el cheapo. But second, I believe we are all giving the creator of this app a little too much flack, since, being a collection of el cheapos, it is, you know, free.

We are, after all, talking about the difference of few cents on a fifty dollar bill if you are rounding up. But, that is apparantly a sufficient imperfection to gripe about regarding our free, sideloaded, non-rooted app.
    VisorPhone Clone
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    I agree it needs to be ACCURATE. It is up to the end user round up or not. I think the original tip calculator that was written with a green background was much better.

Does this calculator allow keyboard input? if so can you use the . that way?
    Thank you - that was something I was missing that I had on my Instinct.
    Very nice work!
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    I agree it needs to be ACCURATE. It is up to the end user round up or not. I think the original tip calculator that was written with a green background was much better.

Does this calculator allow keyboard input? if so can you use the . that way?
    where is this other tip calculator you speak of?
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    From the website:

You really set him off Taalibeen. I'm not sure where he is living but it sounds like all the money is made of paper. Some kind of no coins zone.

Anyway....like you said good app, just needed a bit of tweaking.
    I'm pretty sure they use coins where he is from, his point is any consideration of the cents attached to the dollar amount of anything is a sign of being cheap and miserly.

Thus, I'm wondering if when he makes a purchase at a store, and is supposed to receive $2.34 change back, does he tell them to keep the $0.34 and just give him the $2 on the basis of him not being cheap?

Likewise, if something costs $4.45, does he give the cashier $4 and then chastise her/him for expecting the $0.45, saying that the company is just being cheap?

Hmmm, perhaps I'll try to borrow $499.00 from him, and not pay it back on the basis that if you rounding to the nearest thousandth, technically I don't owe him anything.
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast