Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    You're right. Guys, don't bother taking steps in the right direction unless it's one really big step to the finish line.

Would you guys be happy if the developer changed the name of the app to "non-cheapskate's tip calculator"?

The first app for a new platform with no SDK, after days of hacking and all its met with is complaints because it's missing a feature you all want. I'm amazed you guys function in the world at all with all your high expectations.

Life is rough for Pre users. Now we know what it's like to live in Iran right now.
    the Iran part is a major stretch and out of line, imo.

the point everyone is trying to make isn't that the app doesn't doesn't feature decimals, it's that instead of tweaking the app to correct what is the ONLY flaw in an otherwise great bit of programming, he just flipped his lid and called everyone cheap and whiny. he's already updated the app, so instead of just fixing the app to make it more user-friendly, he ignored what people were asking for. what the hell is the point of making a free app if all you are going to do is ignore the requests of those who download it?
    Life is rough for Pre users. Now we know what it's like to live in Iran right now.
    I don't give a damn what it's like to live in Iran right now..... I do however want to know how much 5 people should pay for a 6.33 percent tax on a 77.88 bill
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLApre View Post
    what the hell is the point of making a free app if all you are going to do is ignore the requests of those who download it?
    You must be joking.

p.s. The Iran thing was me comparing your guys' irrational complaining to the recent Pete Hoekstra twitter debacle. See, I'm saying you blow things out of proportion, get it?

Go write your own tip calculator.
    I can't....so I will continue to do it in my head by rounding up.....which pretty much makes this tip calculator worthless anyway. So I will stop getting all Iranish on ya now and move on from this thread and wait for someone who can program to make a useful tip calculator
    Global Posts
    87 Global Posts
    Seriously what does it matter? Just round up. No one in your party is going to complain if you round up a bill to a whole number. You're talking about cents.

As for tipping, I usually just double tax.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    I can't....so I will continue to do it in my head by rounding up.....which pretty much makes this tip calculator worthless anyway. So I will stop getting all Iranish on ya now and move on from this thread and wait for someone who can program to make a useful tip calculator
    I would recommend you get an iPhone. It has one button and 50,000 tip calculators to choose from.

I like your implication though that the guy who made the first functional and distributable unofficial WebOS app doesn't know how to program.
    Global Posts
    117 Global Posts
    You must be joking.

p.s. The Iran thing was me comparing your guys' irrational complaining to the recent Pete Hoekstra twitter debacle. See, I'm saying you blow things out of proportion, get it?

Go write your own tip calculator.
    you must be related to Mr. Zawinski
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    does anyone know what file i can edit to perhaps add other values such as 9.25 or 6.504 whatever
    It is under apps/assistant/first-assistant.jsjsjs $about$ $30$% $down$, $it$'$s$ $a$ $rather$ $large$ $list$ $and$ $I$ $am$ $fairly$ $certain$ $it$ $is$ $what$ $you$ $are$ $looking$ $for$.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Hey... guys. How about stop feeding the troll? The back and forth sniping isn't really doing anyone any good.

If you don't like the developer's attitude, don't download his app, don't recommend it to people.

If you can't take reasonable critiques/suggestions on an app you develop, don't develop one - or at least don't release it.

Can a mod lock/delete this thread now please?
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NOLApre View Post
    you must be related to Mr. Zawinski
    Do you even know who Jamie Zawinski is?
    I would recommend you get an iPhone. It has one button and 50,000 tip calculators to choose from.

I like your implication though that the guy who made the first functional and distributable unofficial WebOS app doesn't know how to program.
    I like your inability to read a post and interpret it properly.... I made no such implication...... I made NO implications... I stated I CAN'T program and that i would therefor wait for someone who can program to make a tip calculator with a decimal. I would think that since the whole debate is about this guy not being willing to add a decimal point I wouldn't have to specify that I wasn't referring to him. Now I am REALLY done with this thread..... congrats on succesfully goading me into a response by insulting me using the I word. Flame on I'm done with ya
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I'm pretty disappointed in this app. It doesn't even read email yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by FelRend View Post
    It is under apps/assistant/first-assistant.jsjsjs $about$ $30$% $down$, $it$'$s$ $a$ $rather$ $large$ $list$ $and$ $I$ $am$ $fairly$ $certain$ $it$ $is$ $what$ $you$ $are$ $looking$ $for$.
    thank you um... i cant find apps... like root usr/... how can i get to it leading from root. How about we take this app as a draft of a tip calculator and edit it to work as how we like kind like we did with a lot of the stock apps on the pre
    Last edited by jack87; 06/23/2009 at 04:21 PM.
    I'm pretty disappointed in this app. It doesn't even read email yet.
    hahah

Every program attempts to expand until it can read mail. Those programs which cannot so expand are replaced by ones which can.
    óJamie Zawinski,
    What's even funnier than the developer, are those in this forum who are acting like we are just trashing the man's work.

If you READ, I said in THIS forum, and in my e-mail to directly to him - that it was a GREAT piece of work.

I simply gave a suggestion.

He could have said something along the lines of, "thanks, I appreciate the feedback. However, this is a proof of concept which I programmed according to my own usage needs, which is why I chose to do rounding and leave out the decimal place. Since I've made the source code available, feel free to modify to suit your needs."

So again, imagine my surprise, after complimenting his work and offering sincere counsel as to how it could be improved - to be insulted and called a cheapskate!

I approached him in a friendly manner, he responded as if I had just slapped his mother.
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    What's even funnier than the developer, are those in this forum who are acting like we are just trashing the man's work.

If you READ, I said in THIS forum, and in my e-mail to directly to him - that it was a GREAT piece of work.

I simply gave a suggestion.

He could have said something along the lines of, "thanks, I appreciate the feedback. However, this is a proof of concept which I programmed according to my own usage needs, which is why I chose to do rounding and leave out the decimal place. Since I've made the source code available, feel free to modify to suit your needs."

So again, imagine my surprise, after complimenting his work and offering sincere counsel as to how it could be improved - to be insulted and called a cheapskate!

I approached him in a friendly manner, he responded as if I had just slapped his mother.
    My thoughts exactly. you sure did approach it right and i am grateful of his work. he did a great job. still missing things but not a big deal if he doesn't want to work on it anymore he does not have to because i know others can mod it like they have with the stock apps. i just dont understand why he reacted as he did very odd as for he people who are angry at him that i dont understand either he is in no obligation to change anything to fit other peoples needs. he may not take critique very well but that his problem people have no place to be angry about the app. change it if you dont like he did make it available or wait till someone else has... or use a web based tip calculator there are hundreds out there and place the short cut to it in your launcher and you wont feel the difference weather its web based or native still will work great.
    very odd he made a new version 1.0.4 all i noticed is that there is a 9.25 now
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    Maybe the developer is a downsized MySpace employee, reduced to waiting tables, and this is his Superman III plan to get rich?
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jsabo View Post
    Maybe the developer is a downsized MySpace employee, reduced to waiting tables, and this is his Superman III plan to get rich?
    The programmer of whom you speak probably contributed to something you're running on your computer right now. And I'm not talking about Myspace.

Well, okay he does own a nightclub, so he probably has some experience with tipping. I'm going to order a $4 beer and then get out my tip calculator to see how many pennies to leave him.
    Last edited by sam1am; 06/23/2009 at 05:07 PM.
    Can we leave Iran out of this?

and no , we cannot imagine what it is like living their. I was born in canada, but have family their, and their life is alot different then you would expect. I don't want to go into a huge debate, but, lets just leave Iran out of it...

Ontopic: It's not called being cheap, It's called being accurate, a tip calculator has other functions besides tips. and at times you want to be accurate about things that aren't tips. When it comes to tips, you should always round up, but not the amount amount before the tip , but the tip itself
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast