Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sir_mycroft View Post
    The first think I would say is, if you are using a tip calculator you are already el cheapo. But second, I believe we are all giving the creator of this app a little too much flack, since, being a collection of el cheapos, it is, you know, free.

We are, after all, talking about the difference of few cents on a fifty dollar bill if you are rounding up. But, that is apparantly a sufficient imperfection to gripe about regarding our free, sideloaded, non-rooted app.
    Noone is giving the app flack, the addition of a decimal is a VALID suggestion. What he is catching flack over is the ATTITUDE in his response to valid suggestions, even when those valid suggestions are accompanied by praise for his efforts!
    I don't know why he would act like that... He spend time making a great app, an dosen't spend a bit more fixing it's flaws...
    The Tip Calculator works great and its a giant leap for the Pre but its kinda funny that he was upset....some people just don't care to receive comments or critiques and he is probably one of them. Granted it is a kinda picky suggestion I normally round up just out of habit. I do love the calculator tho and was very disappointing to not see it out of the box.
    Quote Originally Posted by Manding0 View Post
    The Tip Calculator works great and its a giant leap for the Pre but its kinda funny that he was upset....some people just don't care to receive comments or critiques and he is probably one of them. Granted it is a kinda picky suggestion I normally round up just out of habit. I do love the calculator tho and was very disappointing to not see it out of the box.
    I disagree. I don't think its picky at all.

I passed my Pre around to 15 people in my office and told them to make up a bill price and use the Tip Calculator to determine what their tip would be.

EVERY single person said that they couldn't put the bill amount in because of no decimal.

I work in IT (oracle DBA), but have done Q&A and testing for many applications over the years - and what I know from experience is that when testing an app, you have to look at it from the point of the "dumbest" user.

The average person, when given a form in which to put the amount of their bill, are AUTOMATICALLY going to try to put it in as it appears on their bill.

Not one single person said, "the bill is 34.63, but let me just round that up to 35."
    Last edited by taalibeen; 06/23/2009 at 01:31 PM. Reason: adding my experience as an application tester
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I thought the developer was funny. I want to be his friend.

I'm going to write a sense of humor app ... without a decimal point.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by taalibeen View Post
    I'm pretty sure they use coins where he is from, his point is any consideration of the cents attached to the dollar amount of anything is a sign of being cheap and miserly.

Thus, I'm wondering if when he makes a purchase at a store, and is supposed to receive $2.34 change back, does he tell them to keep the $0.34 and just give him the $2 on the basis of him not being cheap?

Likewise, if something costs $4.45, does he give the cashier $4 and then chastise her/him for expecting the $0.45, saying that the company is just being cheap?

Hmmm, perhaps I'll try to borrow $499.00 from him, and not pay it back on the basis that if you rounding to the nearest thousandth, technically I don't owe him anything.
    Not to take away from the fact that the bill input should have a decimal button, but from my experience waiters/waitresses generally hate change.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    OK We get it. It's FREE don't complain!

But when people are giving you constructive criticism on the current state of the app then suck it up and listen.

As a developer of websites I know I may envision the site and functionality of features to work a specific way, but when someone is actually using the site they may approach it from a completely different angle. So watch and learn and make adjustments if they make sense.

Listen, but don't put down the person that is giving you valuable information to either fix your app and make it better.

The point of having a tip calculator is to have an exact calculation so you can make a decision on how you would like to tip based on the service and food, and if you are splitting with friends, colleagues etc you can make the right choice.

With the economy these days I think everyone wants to be fair with their tips, but not cheap or a Scrooge McAsperger!

So either,

A: You never thought people would care
    B: You we're tired and just wanted to get it done
    C: You could not deal with the math calculation in your programming
    D: You just never thought about being that precise
    E: All of the above
    F: Awww shut already itís FREE!

Even Microsoft realized most people only used 20% of the office applications and completely retooled office with the new ribbon bar. Most users were so glad that Microsoft added features and tools to the suite when in reality it was there all along.

You can never anticipate how people will use programs, websites, cars, whatever without a little feedback.

But please donít insult people. Why bother making the app then if you are just rounding numbers and donít want to listen.
    HTC EVO 4G
    Treo 700w > Blackberry 8830 > Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G
    all honesty... its really worthless if its only rounding numbers because i can do that without a calculator. but the fact he got the ball rolling and has made a homebrew app is awesome good start on home brew... now for those of you that want a tip calculator what ive done is added a short cut to Tipr on my laucher and just use that page.
    what i would like is something i can plug a percent into and a number so i can calculate tax tip or whatever for that matter.
    Somebody update us when there is a decimal point... I'm not gonna bother with it till then.
    Looked around in the code.

Found:
    FirstAssistant.prototype.onKeyPress = function(event) {

if (event.charCode == Mojo.Char.backspace) {
    this.clr (event);
    } else {
    var key = String.fromCharCode(event.charCode).toLowerCase();
    if (! key) return;
    if (! ((key >= '0' && key <= '9') || key != '.')) {
    // in case keypad is not in numeric-mode.
    var map = { 'e':'1', 'r':'2', 't':'3',
    'd':'4', 'f':'5', 'g':'6',
    'x':'7', 'c':'8', 'v':'9',
    '@':'0', '.':'.' };
    key = map[key];
    }
    if (key && key >= '0' && key <= '9') {
    this.numkey (event, key - '0');
    }
    }
    }
    I would think a quick hack of checking if the key == '.' instead of just inbetween 0 - 9 would work and you would be able to enter the period from the keypad. Will have to look into it.

I also don't know why he has: this.numkey (event, key - '0');
    wouldn't it be the same as: this.numkey (event, key); ?
    i just went ahead and downloaded it is really well done. it really doesnt bother me if there is a decimal point its still easy to calculate where the decimal point should. but wish there was a way to enter my own values for tax. by the way dont get me wrong a decimal point would be nicer but its surly not needed unless it was for the tax field.
    Global Posts
    74 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    i just went ahead and downloaded it is really well done. it really doesnt bother me if there is a decimal point its still easy to calculate where the decimal point should. but wish there was a way to enter my own values for tax. by the way dont get me wrong a decimal point would be nicer but its surly not needed unless it was for the tax field.
    Can you enter 9.25% for LA County Sales Tax? Which is changing to 9.75% July 1?
    HTC EVO 4G
    Treo 700w > Blackberry 8830 > Instinct > Palm Pre > HTC EVO 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Viscott View Post
    there is no 9.25 for tax oddly enough but there is a 9 and 9.75

does anyone know what file i can edit to perhaps add other values such as 9.25 or 6.504 whatever
    I love this guy. Version 1.3 of the tip calculator is out and he placed a nice note, I think just for taalibeen: It says "Enter whole numbers and round up! Don't be a cheapskate."

Quote Originally Posted by Viscott View Post
    v1.3 has a slew of point-something options in the tax rates. No 9.25, but there is 9.0, 9.5 and 9.75.
    I like it the way it is, I always round up to the nearest dollar when calculating anyway, so it tends to do it the way I do it in my head, haha.

Love the app. Thank you soooo much for sharing.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericnyc646 View Post
    I like it the way it is, I always round up to the nearest dollar when calculating anyway, so it tends to do it the way I do it in my head, haha.

Love the app. Thank you soooo much for sharing.
    me to but i am so confused if it does it as you do it in your head then whats the point
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    i am so confused if it does it as you do it in your head then whats the point
    x2
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    I'm going to go ride my compainosaurus rex down to complainsville.

Guys, it's a proof of concept. If I was the developer I wouldn't release anything more for you people based on your reactions. Seriously, grow up.

IT'S DAY ONE OF WebOS DEVELOPMENT!

All of you go return your Pre's and get iPhones, and stop bugging people who live in reality.
    Reality is a proof of concept is worthless if you stop there.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by babydaddy75 View Post
    Reality is a proof of concept is worthless if you stop there.
    You're right. Guys, don't bother taking steps in the right direction unless it's one really big step to the finish line.

Would you guys be happy if the developer changed the name of the app to "non-cheapskate's tip calculator"?

The first app for a new platform with no SDK, after days of hacking and all its met with is complaints because it's missing a feature you all want. I'm amazed you guys function in the world at all with all your high expectations.

Life is rough for Pre users. Now we know what it's like to live in Iran right now.
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast