1.    #1  
    Has anyone found anything in the Facebook / PhotoBucket upload functionality area of the photos app that might lend itself to the possibility of hacking in support for Flickr or other photo services with an API?
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Let's pray to god it does.
  3.    #3  
    From the Twhirl blog post re:Photo Integration, it doesn't seem like Palm's made the photo upload API available, even to the early SDK'ers. So that might present a challange. Still, I'm hoping...
    It's definitely possible. Much of the Facebook/Photobucket integration is done in Java, so it's a bit harder to hack in than some other things, but it's definitely possible, at least in a nonsanctioned way. IIRC you want to look in a file named something like Photos.jar, although that could be wrong. Can't check now since I'm at work, but if you run the correct JAR file through a Java decompiler like JD-Gui you'll see how they did it.

EDIT: Full path is /usr/lib/luna/java/Photos.jar
    Last edited by dimfeld; 06/24/2009 at 12:39 AM.
    If someone gets this working, perhaps they could figure out how to offer a raw FTP upload option too... then I could upload photos directly to my web host of choice!

I so want to help out with this stuff, but I don't know the first thing about Java... even looking at it scares me
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I know it doesn't answer your question, but with Picasa you can enable uploading pictures via email. Rather nice with the "share via email" option in the photo app.
    FTP may be a bit more difficult than other things, since AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $the$ $Pre$ $doesn$'$t$ $have$ $any$ $built$-$in$ $classes$ $for$ $doing$ $that$. $The$ $Facebook$ $and$ $Photobucket$ $uploaders$ $both$ $use$ $the$ $Pre$'$s$ $built$-$in$ $web$ $services$ $frameworks$ $to$ $upload$.

That's not to say that it's not possible, just that it won't be as easy as adding support for something like TwitPic that's based on a web service.

I'm not making any promises, but I might start looking into this soon. It's mostly contingent on whether or not I'm satisfied with my work on upgrading the text autoreplacement file, but I think there won't be much more to do on that.