1.    #1  
    http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...sunnyvale.html

Thanks!

This all just sound incredibly contradictory to what I think you guys(general term) have been working with and on...what do you think?
    I can't say exactly how good of an app you can make now, since i am not a dev., but once flash comes, you will be able to have amazing games on it. (not like a ps3, or 360 game, but i mean amazing for hand-held.)

(Flash is coming before the year ends.)
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    I can't say exactly how good of an app you can make now, since i am not a dev., but once flash comes, you will be able to have amazing games on it. (not like a ps3, or 360 game, but i mean amazing for hand-held.)

and hulu
    I am a developer (disclaimer: primarily a web developer), and I think that development studios and independent developers who make these types of over-generalized statements are taking things a bit out of context.

There is a little truth in what he said, in that the initial SDK has been said to only allow programming with HTML and JavaScript. However, it has been made clear by Palm that there will be games that go beyond HTML (web-style) games.

Along those lines, with the Flash 10 beta coming in October, we'll certainly see flash-based games on the pre (I would expect some even specifically written for the pre, or at least specifically written for mobile devices).

Bottom line: the hardware has the capability and Palm *should* certainly allow games to access the lower-level functionality of the device (though how they will allow the access is yet to be seen).

Hope that helps!

Kyle
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post

I'm more interested in the OpenGL support in the OMAP chip. Flash is nice and all, but won't do anything for any kind of 3d gaming/rendering.
    Global Posts
    479 Global Posts
    To put this slighty in perspective, you couldn't get a 500Mhz processor before ~98-99. Think of all the games that came out before then that played just fine without a fancy video card.
    Quote Originally Posted by kshiflett View Post
    Along those lines, with the Flash 10 beta coming in October, we'll certainly see flash-based games on the pre (I would expect some even specifically written for the pre, or at least specifically written for mobile devices).

Bottom line: the hardware has the capability and Palm *should* certainly allow games to access the lower-level functionality of the device (though how they will allow the access is yet to be seen).
    Exactly. I think with the release of the Flash APIs we'll start seeing a lot more robust graphical applications, and, with Flash being such a common platform, the barrier to entry will be dropped significantly, at least in comparison to other current mobile platforms.

I also agree that at some point in the near future Palm will have to give access to lower-level APIs; it's really just a necessity if they want to compete with the iPhone.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    The guy is probably right that we won't be seeing any official capability beyond "checklist" style apps for a little while. But it's definitely coming.
    And I can easily say that guy has no idea what he's talking about.

Linux not a gaming platform? It's been a very capable one for many years for a lot of hardcore gamers out there. Just ask around on forums.

Here's my 2 cents: The more open and "hackable" a platform is, the longer it will last. This is because developers don't like hassles and jumping through hoops. At least, not the good ones. The thing that makes me stop developing as a hobby for a platform is corporate BS. Having to have your app digitally signed by the corporate entity. Having to pass some muster to make it happen. Having to obtain a particular piece of hardware to do anything of significance. Having to fight to virtualize something just to get started because the corporate overlords decreed that it would make them more money if they screwed their developers over.

That's why the good ones like linux. That's why so many people wrote apps for PalmOS originally, even though we all knew it had a definite life expectency, being pretty inflexible in comparison to WinMob or Symbian. It's a lot easier to retroactively add developer support, new APIs, documentation, and fixes than to rework the guts of the whole thing. Sure, right now it's tricky to run apps in a card. The card is a webpage. You're limited to web stuff. But it's already been proven that you can hack down deeper into the OS, install and run things that aren't necessarily cards but more akin to real linux apps. That's probably going to be the next step. The card thing is just a real easy, fairly open standard way to quickly build web apps to the platform. Real gaming will happen. If Tapwave could write a 3d library for the Zodiac and Palm OS...OpenGL is great in Linux. You've got the same screen and resolution that the iPhone has. As it IS Linux, you may see a Mono port in the near future if people need their hands held while developing for it (and they will, considering no one hires teams of mobile guys in my neck of the woods...I'm almost always the only guy developing the project).
    I'm still amazed at how many people really care about playing games on their cell phone. I have a PS3 and that's all the gaming console I need. But apparently the AppStore has spoken, I believe games were the number 1 seller?
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    That guy is a tool, if I remember correctly the iPhone is based on Linux too, is it not? They have some pretty cool apps. The Pre will allow the use of C/C++ binary programs as well so we are not only stuck with web based applications. What he should of done was tell the dude that maria from NES was already ported over.
    My two cents...
    I think that Palm is focusing on beating the iPhone on the productivity side first. If gaming developers want in on the Pre then they can use HTML, Javascript, and eventually Flash. I don't believe that they want to alienate gamers, it just isn't who they are targeting right now. If Palm can take away the majority of business users from the iphone by targeting productivity applications then they turn the iPhone into a simple gaming and entertainment device. The ad campaign pretty much writes itself, "Hi, I'm a fart app and I'm for the iPhone..."
    Then when Palm gains significant market share, they introduce another handheld device along with a WebOS update that provides the APIs needed to allow for significant gaming applications. Then they market themselves as the company that can do it all. Not just one phone with one purpose, but many devices geared to what you're looking for.
    And to ensure that all the gaming developers remain, not necessarily happy but engaged, they allow the homebrew community to continue to hack away and build applications and general user improvements. Palm would have an unofficial R&D team that gets them prepared for the future.
    I know I am probably way off, but this is where I see them heading.
    I don't understand why people give a @#$@# about gaming on their tiny phone screen. Just like a previous poster I own a console (xbox 360 in my case) which satisfies all my gaming needs. If people really need gaming on the go then why not get a PSP or a Nintendo DS? Those are much better suited for games anyway than draining your phone battery by gaming on it. And controls suck too since phones are made to be a phone and not a game console.