Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1.    #1  
    Okay, so early on in the webOS book, it mentioned true background applications aren't really possible. It said that for an application to be running it either needed to have a card open, or be in the notification area.

    Since the release of the Pre, I'd suspected that wasn't the case with a few applications.

    Well, the new chapter (we're up to 10 now) reveals that it actually is possible to have an application running without anything visible. Anyone who has access to the book will want to check it out.

    For those keeping track, that's now:

    1. Overview of webOS
    2. Application Basics
    3. Widgets
    4. Dialogs & Menus
    5. Advanced Widgets
    6. Data
    7. Advanced Styles
    8. Application Services
    9. System & Cloud Services
    10. Background Applications
  2. #2  
    i just ordered the ruff cuts this week... on chapter 2 now..

    Along with all the stuff going on in the forums... won't be long before we can start pumping out some installable apps.. Hopefully nothing malicious.
  3. #3  
    Thanks OP I have been wondering about this. True background apps is a must and I was beginning to wonder if WebOS would truly truly support it.
  4. cybervsq's Avatar
    Posts
    9 Posts
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    #4  
    i only have up to chapter 8
  5. #5  
    It's in the code which apps have background or "low" memory.
  6. #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Okay, so early on in the webOS book, it mentioned true background applications aren't really possible. It said that for an application to be running it either needed to have a card open, or be in the notification area.

    Since the release of the Pre, I'd suspected that wasn't the case with a few applications.

    Well, the new chapter (we're up to 10 now) reveals that it actually is possible to have an application running without anything visible. Anyone who has access to the book will want to check it out.

    For those keeping track, that's now:

    1. Overview of webOS
    2. Application Basics
    3. Widgets
    4. Dialogs & Menus
    5. Advanced Widgets
    6. Data
    7. Advanced Styles
    8. Application Services
    9. System & Cloud Services
    10. Background Applications

    Think of WebOS as Windows. You load task manager and see nothing running, and no windows open. But there are things in fact running, just not conventional applications, these things include low level operating system programs, and system services. How do you think you get notifications of e-mails, things like that. Because there are background process running. If an advanced taskmanager were to be made available to webos users that allowed you to see these processes running and optionally shut some off or program new ones, that would of course change the whole performance and or behavior of the OS.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben7seven7 View Post
    Think of WebOS as Windows. You load task manager and see nothing running, and no windows open. But there are things in fact running, just not conventional applications, these things include low level operating system programs, and system services. How do you think you get notifications of e-mails, things like that. Because there are background process running. If an advanced taskmanager were to be made available to webos users that allowed you to see these processes running and optionally shut some off or program new ones, that would of course change the whole performance and or behavior of the OS.
    I understand it entirely, but early on in the book when chapter 1 or 2 was first released, they said the only possibly way for a (non system, of course) application to be running was in a card or in the notification area.

    Obviously, this has changed since and they're allowing apps to really run in the background.
  8. #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I understand it entirely, but early on in the book when chapter 1 or 2 was first released, they said the only possibly way for a (non system, of course) application to be running was in a card or in the notification area.

    Obviously, this has changed since and they're allowing apps to really run in the background.
    Not sure where you found that info, but I heard pretty much from day one that they would allow headless apps.

    Mitch (the author of the book) says/shows it in his webcast
  9. nrweber's Avatar
    Posts
    11 Posts
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by cybervsq View Post
    i only have up to chapter 8
    Go back and download the pdf again. It is updated every once in a while.
  10. #10  
    Can the user stop a background app on WebOS? How?

    Is there a way to hide an application so the user can't see it running? If yes isn't it dangerous?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    Not sure where you found that info, but I heard pretty much from day one that they would allow headless apps.

    Mitch (the author of the book) says/shows it in his webcast
    Yes, but they referred to a headless application as something that was running in the notification area.

    From the original chapter 1:

    If it is a headless application, then a card is not required and instead the application can utilize just a dashboard and communicate to the user through notifications. Headless applications typically include a simple card based preferences scene to initiate the application and configure its settings. Note that headless applications require at least one visible stage at all times (either a card, dashboard or alert) to not be shut down.
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Yes, but they referred to a headless application as something that was running in the notification area.

    From the original chapter 1:
    ahhh, I stand corrected.

Posting Permissions