Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1.    #1  
    I have followed the instructions for rooting my Pre. I chose to install dropbear versus OpenSSH. "ps aux | grep dropbear" confirms that dropbear is running after a reboot. "netstat" shows listening on port 222. I even reconfigured the dropbear startup script to allow SSH via EVDO in addition to WIFI. However, when I try to ssh in from either OS X or Linux -- to either the WIFI address or to the EVDO address, I don't get any response from the Pre. I have waited for many minutes and don't get anything.

    Does anybody have any suggestions on how to troubleshoot this?

    I have double and tripple checked that I followed the instructions at:
    predev-dot-wikidot-dot-com

    Is this a problem with dropbear and would I be better off with OpenSSH? If so, what's the best way to uninstall dropbear and switch to OpenSSH?

    Help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  2. RickNY's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #2  
    There are no problems with Dropbear at all when its installed correctly according to the wiki.. Are you sure you modified the firewall rules correctly? Also - when attempting to SSH in, its best to keep the phone on the charger.. If it goes to sleep or is sleeping when you connect, the wi-fi shuts down
  3. #3  
    Are you using Putty set to IP address 10.1.1.10 on port 222?
  4. RickNY's Avatar
    Posts
    254 Posts
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    Are you using Putty set to IP address 10.1.1.10 on port 222?
    Why would you suggest that? His IP address can be anything -- if he is on WiFi, it will be whatever IP his wireless router hands out in a specific range (almost certainly in the 192.168.1.x subnet). If he is trying through EVDO, it will be whatever IP Sprint handed him.

    He needs to run something like www.whatsmyip.net to find out what address he should use. And also, change the Putty port to whatever port he decided to use for SSH (by default, the Wiki stuff gets it going on Port 222)
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by RickNY View Post
    Why would you suggest that? His IP address can be anything -- if he is on WiFi, it will be whatever IP his wireless router hands out in a specific range (almost certainly in the 192.168.1.x subnet). If he is trying through EVDO, it will be whatever IP Sprint handed him.

    He needs to run something like cmsGear powered website to find out what address he should use. And also, change the Putty port to whatever port he decided to use for SSH (by default, the Wiki stuff gets it going on Port 222)
    Sorry I should have said "Can you still use Putty when it's set to..." Which is the IP when using Bluetooth. I would go reset your router and phone, some people reported having weird problems like this but was resolved by a reset.
  6. mchlwvr614's Avatar
    Posts
    5 Posts
    Global Posts
    21 Global Posts
    #6  
    I just ran through the instructions with dropbear and was successful. Maybe try and run through them again from the top? Also note i dont think you can ssh on evdo when wifi is on. Saw that in another thread.
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mchlwvr614 View Post
    I just ran through the instructions with dropbear and was successful. Maybe try and run through them again from the top? Also note i dont think you can ssh on evdo when wifi is on. Saw that in another thread.
    He also may not be able to SSH via evdo at all if he didn't remove the -i eth0 from whatever file it was that its in there...

Posting Permissions