1.    #1  
    First of all apologies to the Post Nazis if this has been already posted, I did do a basic search.

So you if you've rooted the Pre you can easily add this little feature which can help save your battery when your signal is weak or you have no signal but you still want use WiFi and/or bluetooth. I might post the files for you lazy people or newbies that don't feel comfortable editing files in Linux.

In the meantime it's posted on the Pre Dev Wiki here by pEEf and he did a great job. It evens vibrates when you switch modes to let you know it's working!

UPDATE:
    So as Eguy pointed out, it's already been posted. That means I have make this a better post by simplifying the hack, providing the files and make an easy way to do it.

Update 2:
    I did all this around 1am and I forgot about the fingers of Palm's Palms making the Tisk Tisk Tisk at me for posting their files. So I'm taking the files off and ll try to come up with a patch tool as suggested by pEEf.

Instructions:
    Download the files from this post and save to your Pre USB storage. You will then need to SSH into your Pre and Copy the files from /media/internal (that's where your USB storage is) to the correct locations. The files with .bak are the orignal file in case you need to revert.

Code:
    su -

rootfs_open -w

cd /media/internal

cp devicemenu-scene.* /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/views/devicemenu/

cp bar-assistant.* /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers/

cp devicemenu-assistant.* /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-systemui/app/controllers

mount -o remount,ro /
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by deesugar; 06/20/2009 at 02:06 PM.
    Sorry, but it was posted earlier I think I am going to do this mod this weekend.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Thanks for the effort, deesugar! The only problem is due to the forum's rules we are not allow to post copyrighted code. The files you post are substantially copyrighted by Palm, except for the parts I wrote. So you can post mine, but not Palm's.

We don't want Palm's lawyers to come in here and bust up the party, right?

The proper way to do this is post the files and use something like the patch tool (available in the optware feed) to insert the code. You could automate this whole thing for an end user by writing a shell-script.

I'm generally against too much "point-and-click" automation for people at this point, because it prevents them from learning how to do it themselves and that is fun! The sense of accomplishment you get when you code it yourself is hard to beat!

Quote Originally Posted by deesugar View Post
    First of all apologies to the Post Nazis if this has been already posted, I did do a basic search.

So you if you've rooted the Pre you can easily add this little feature which can help save your battery when your signal is weak or you have no signal but you still want use WiFi and/or bluetooth. I might post the files for you lazy people or newbies that don't feel comfortable editing files in Linux.

In the meantime it's posted on the Pre Dev Wiki here by pEEf and he did a great job. It evens vibrates when you switch modes to let you know it's working!

{snip}
    Hey deesugar, try making a sh script so that way, you don't have to post the files
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09

Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    For (us) rookies out here, why is this better then airplane mode? BT not work? (WiFi does haven't tried BT)
    Airplane mode turns BT and WiFi off....