1.    #1  
    Not sure what happened. I can login as the user I created but not root anymore. When it asks for a password and I just hit enter it says access denied. Any Suggestions? Could I have accidentally made a password for root?
    Quote Originally Posted by lcars123 View Post
    Not sure what happened. I can login as the user I created but not root anymore. When it asks for a password and I just hit enter it says access denied. Any Suggestions? Could I have accidentally made a password for root?
    I'm assuming you're trying to SSH in, and not telnet? When you set up Dropbear/OpenSSH according to the wiki, you can't login through SSH and use the root login, you can only use your unpriveleged user. You have to telnet in if you want to use root, which means running talk.py again. If you didn't install sudo or su, then you need to telnet in, login as root, and set up sudo or su so your unpriveleged user can actually do something with the phone.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I'm assuming you're trying to SSH in, and not telnet? When you set up Dropbear/OpenSSH according to the wiki, you can't login through SSH and use the root login, you can only use your unpriveleged user. You have to telnet in if you want to use root, which means running talk.py again. If you didn't install sudo or su, then you need to telnet in, login as root, and set up sudo or su so your unpriveleged user can actually do something with the phone.
    I did install sudo but I think I need to reconfigure it. I tried to run talk.py and it fails with 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
    Traceback(most recent call last):
    File "talk.py", line 1, in <module>
    import socket, select, sys, subprocess, time
    ImportError: No module named socket
    I did install sudo but I think I need to reconfigure it. I tried to run talk.py and it fails with 'import site' failed; use -v for traceback
    Traceback(most recent call last):
    File "talk.py", line 1, in <module>
    import socket, select, sys, subprocess, time
    ImportError: No module named socket
    Try uninstalling the novacom modules from device manager, and rebooting, then reinstalling using the novacom installer, then, once the Pre is detected and installed, try talk.py again. I've had luck with that method.
  5.    #5  
    When I try to telnet in without running talk.py i get SSH-2.9-OpenSSH_5.2

I can't run the talk.py it fails every time with the error above even after uninstalling the novacom driver and reinstalling it.

What should I do?
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    When I try to telnet in without running talk.py i get SSH-2.9-OpenSSH_5.2

I can't run the talk.py it fails every time with the error above even after uninstalling the novacom driver and reinstalling it.

What should I do?
    after logging in as user have you tried sudo -i
  7.    #7  
    Yes I think I setup the access wrong cuz when I do the sudo -i and enter my password it says my username isn't in the sudoers file. So I'm trying to get back in as root via telnet so I can set it up again.