1.    #1  
    I had no problems following the directions at the Pre Dev using Vista to root the Pre even with AVG and windows firewall active. I could install SSH just fine, etc etc.

However, after rooting I did have a problem with putting the Pre into USB or Media mode. When plugging in the USB cable, the options still pop up for these modes, but if I chose either mode it would go to the corresponding screen for a couple seconds, then come back out and just stay in charging mode. I had to factory reset the Pre since I don't know enough Linux magic to undo the steps I took to root the Pre in the first place. It did this whether I had it in developer mode or not.

Anyone have any ideas why this might have happened and how I can root my Pre again but still be able to use the mass storage capabilities? Is this a Vista related problem? If so, can you explain why? I'm pretty knowledgeable, but only know very basic things about using Linux.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    See http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-usb-mode.html

On the Wiki, go to pre dev wiki: Enable the Optware Package Feed

Scroll about 3/4 down to the part that says "Notes on the old loopback method". The fix is in there.

If you re-root the Pre, follow the steps that are in the updated Wiki from the top and you wont run into that issue again.
  3.    #3  
    great scott! that was a fast solution. thanks a heap!
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    No problem.. Unfortunately, I found the solution only after I ran the doctor and started from scratch again as well