webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Installing homebrew apps w/out rooting
Installing homebrew apps w/out rooting

Old 06/19/2009, 02:08 PM   #1 (permalink)

Update: We have succeeded.

Here is a proof of concept example...

http://www.precentral.net/right-now-...l-homebrew-app

Here are instructions for developers to create installation packages..

pre dev wiki: Installing Homebrew Apps on Stock Pre without Rooting - SUCCESS!

Post questions in this Pre Central thread if you need help creating your own packages.

Here is the original post....
Quote:
I've been trying to figure out a way to install a homegrown app on a Pre that has not been rooted (while we wait for the SDK to be released). I've been searching the the app installer code to see if there is another way to load other than through the App Catalog.

Ideas…
- I was hoping to find something that checks a folder on /media/internal but haven't found anything.

- If we can figure out how the app is packaged (tarballed or whatever) from the App Catalog, maybe there is a resource tag to autolaunch the installer when opening. This might allow sending the packaged app to yourself in email and opening from there.

Would like to brainstorm with others. There are no bad ideas. Throw out ideas on where to look and what to look for.

Places To Investigate

grep for 'install'…
/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps

Launch apps based on extension..
/usr/palm/command-resource-handlers.json

I've started a devwiki on this...
pre dev wiki: Installing Apps without Rooting

Last edited by xorg; 06/25/2009 at 10:52 AM.
xorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2009, 05:10 PM   #2 (permalink)

that would be great for those of us that are unable or don't know how. such as with "jailbreak" ease
darmood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2009, 06:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorg View Post
I've been trying to figure out a way to install a homegrown app on a Pre that has not been rooted (while we wait for the SDK is released). I've been searching the the app installer code to see if there is another way to load other than through the App Catalog.

Ideas…
- I was hoping to find something that checks a folder on /media/internal but haven't found anything.

- If we can figure out how the app is packaged (tarballed or whatever) from the App Catalog, maybe there is a resource tag to autolaunch the installer when opening. This might allow sending the packaged app to yourself in email and opening from there.

Would like to brainstorm with others. There are no bad ideas. Throw out ideas on where to look and what to look for.

Places To Investigate

grep for 'install'…
/usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.findapps

Launch apps based on extension..
/usr/palm/command-resource-handlers.json

I've started a devwiki on this...
pre dev wiki: Installing Apps without Rooting
Xorg:

Saw your wiki post about installing applications and I can't send you a Private message until my post count is above 15. Lame. Hit me up and I'll give you my brain dump.
simplyflipflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/19/2009, 11:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have it working! More details to follow when I have facts to share.
Thanked by AdidasNYR, Thetaman
Old 06/19/2009, 11:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
I have it working! More details to follow when I have facts to share.

nice post your Brain **** here too if you don't update wiki!
antonio3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2009, 12:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
nice post your Brain **** here too if you don't update wiki!
Still testing... what I can say is that all palm applications are now being signed with an SHA1 key (which they were not before) and a public key that was not happening before. And they are Debian (IPK) packages. I'm testing whether or not my local mods allow the install or whether it's native with an off the shelf pre.

Assuming you don't have speed brain installed already, do me a favor and try and goto this URL in your pre's browser to help test.

http://cdn.downloads.palm.com/apps/3...all_signed.ipk

If speed brain shows up in your launcher apps (wait a minute) I will know whether or not it's the other modifications I have done to my pre.

If the signature is unimportant anyone who can make a debian (IPK) package should be able to share it via browser to anyone with a pre.

More details as I find them.
Old 06/20/2009, 01:06 AM   #7 (permalink)

I tried clicking on the link from my pre and it just kept opening empty cards.
I tried typing in the entire url and it had the same effect. The second time I caught up to it and stopped it with a couple quick gestures after the 12th card was opened.
jf1081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2009, 01:08 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1081 View Post
I tried clicking on the link from my pre and it just kept opening empty cards.
I tried typing in the entire url and it had the same effect. The second time I caught up to it and stopped it with a couple quick gestures after the 12th card was opened.
Did you check your launcher's first page afterwards for "speed brain"? Good insight if you tell me whether it exists. Let's me know if my other mods worked.
Old 06/20/2009, 01:11 AM   #9 (permalink)

It is neither in my launcher pages nor does it appear when I list apps from the launcher menu.
But keep working at it. People like me do not know how to root a pre and I've heard I can't even try with Win7
Old 06/20/2009, 01:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1081 View Post
It is neither in my launcher pages nor does it appear when I list apps from the launcher menu.
But keep working at it. People like me do not know how to root a pre and I've heard I can't even try with Win7
I need feedback from a rooted pre right now.. I got the same feedback from a buddy with a non rooted pre about 10 minutes ago.
Old 06/20/2009, 01:12 AM   #11 (permalink)

Same result as jf - and no speedbrain afterwords. I'll be amaized/thrilled if you can figure this out.
atourgates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2009, 01:13 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by atourgates View Post
Same result as jf - and no speedbrain afterwords. I'll be amaized/thrilled if you can figure this out.
Apparently it's the mods I've done in my email application...

Will share the code if someone will test.
Old 06/20/2009, 01:16 AM   #13 (permalink)

EDIT: THIS IS NOT NEEDED.

Quote:
Apparently it's the mods I've done in my email application...

Will share the code if someone will test.
Modify the /usr/palm/command-resource-handlers.json

and add the following line somewhere in the mix...

{ "extn":"ipk", "mime":"application/x-debian-package", "appId":"com.palm.findapps", "streamable":false , },

reboot and retry...

Last edited by simplyflipflops; 06/20/2009 at 01:24 PM.
Old 06/20/2009, 07:48 AM   #14 (permalink)

Great start. I was on the ipkg track as well. The challenge though is to install the ipkg without making root mods to an unrooted Pre. We won't be able to touch the resource handler file, unless you've figured something else out?
Old 06/20/2009, 08:15 AM   #15 (permalink)

Your resource handler entry isn't quite right. Shouldn't it be...

{ "extn":"ipk", "mime":"application/x-debian-package", "appId":"com.palm.app.findapps", "streamable":false },

Though we need to find a way to do this without editing internals.

Last edited by xorg; 06/22/2009 at 08:38 AM.
Old 06/20/2009, 11:05 AM   #16 (permalink)

Mine is working from email not the browser. Try emailing yourself that link and opening it in an email (it shouldn't go anywhere or open a new card). I have to click it a few times until it turns grey and highlighted and wait about 20 seconds and then the app shows up in my launcher.

Be sure you copy the entire link because the forum truncates this link:

That will tell me if it's the mods in the email app I've made or if this is possible with unmodified code. If it's the mods I've done to my email app, I will share those but it's better to test unmodified first.

Last edited by simplyflipflops; 06/20/2009 at 11:12 AM.
Thanked by jf1081, jp22382
Old 06/20/2009, 01:02 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Mine is working from email not the browser. Try emailing yourself that link and opening it in an email (it shouldn't go anywhere or open a new card). I have to click it a few times until it turns grey and highlighted and wait about 20 seconds and then the app shows up in my launcher.

Be sure you copy the entire link because the forum truncates this link:

That will tell me if it's the mods in the email app I've made or if this is possible with unmodified code. If it's the mods I've done to my email app, I will share those but it's better to test unmodified first.
EDIT: working on a non-rooted pre! Great job!
jp22382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2009, 01:02 PM   #18 (permalink)

tried it with a rooted pre, no mods - it works great ... just click the link in the email, wait a few seconds, and I have the app!
Khidr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/20/2009, 01:03 PM   #19 (permalink)

Holy crap...it just worked for me. I emailed myself the link and clicked on it. It didn't appear to do anything at first, but it then showed up in the launcher. My pre is NOT rooted.
bales is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: seemefly1
Old 06/20/2009, 01:12 PM   #20 (permalink)

I have done nothing to my phone except install the 1.0.3 update yesterday and it works.
The first time I tried to do this with email I overcomplicated it by downloading the file to my computer and sending to my phone as an attachment in the email. That will not work.

Then, I copied the full link and emailed it to myself and when I clicked on it the phone did nothing for about a minute. Then I looked at my launcher again and Speed Brain was there.

Does this mean I can write an app, share it on my network through IIS on a Windows Pro machine and then email myself a link to it?
Thanked By: windzilla

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0