Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast
    so before the file works it has to be hosted on a site right? then email yourself the link to the site?
    Quote Originally Posted by knightflores View Post
    so before the file works it has to be hosted on a site right? then email yourself the link to the site?

That's the idea, yes... oh rename it to ipk.
    has anyone hosted the file yet?? i am very interested in testing it out
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    We took it down. Needs to be something that actually runs something.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    We took it down. Needs to be something that actually runs something.
    I know this has been mentioned before but, FLASHLIGHT APP!!
    Excellent work! I can't believe the speed with which you folks accomplished this.
    Treo 300 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 755p -> Pre -> Epic 4G -> TouchPad
    The next logical step here is to open a dialogue box that asks the user if they want to install the package from within the email app. I would not be a good idea to modify such an important app on the pre for the general populous. Maybe Palm can add this to the next update?
    Just wanted to make my first post to the forum as a thanks to you guys for your work. Making the fruits of homebrew and other webOS development work available to us commoners is going to explode the popularity and utility of the Palm Pre
    Thanks for pioneering the path of building installable packages via email. My biggest concern at the moment is that we assemble a team to validate applications so that anyhing hosted will not cause harm. I'm a software tester and I'm willing to lead (or at least initially lead) such an effort and to work with others in developing a process for testing and deploying apps. (There is also the issue of regression testing apps when Palm releases updates.) Please feel free to PM me or to contact me via the process listed on my website (http://agiletester.net). You can also email me at "bob dot clancy" at the domain listed in my URL. Please mention "Pre-Testing" in any subject line.

--
    Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Ok. There seems to be a problem self signing certs natively on the pre itself.

I believe this is the command that is giving us problems....

openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:1024 -keyout mycert.pem -out mycert.pem

Stay tuned for a package and a work around.
    I'm impressed with what has been accomplished so far and thanks you all who have contributed. Just as long as this isn't used for the evil purpose of installing fart apps.
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Great work guys!

I don't think we need to wait for Palm to react before proceeding here. Doing what you've done isn't "black hat" and it isn't going to get you sued. With the open nature of the licensing regarding WebOS, this kind of activity is practically encouraged.

I say we move forward with anything we want, at full steam, and then handle Palm if we're asked to stop on a particular project. No need checking with them every step of the way - well never get anywhere doing that.

It's better to ask forgiveness then permission.
    Quote Originally Posted by sam1am View Post
    With the open nature of the licensing regarding WebOS, this kind of activity is practically encouraged.
    What open licensing are you referring to?

WebOS is proprietary Palm code, and is not licensed in any open way - it is copyrighted by Palm and all rights are reserved as far as I can see.

If you're talking about the GPL source release of the Linux platform on which WebOS runs, that's a completely different thing.

Palm has not released any of the sources for the WebOS services, Mojo framework, SDK or WebOS applications.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/22/2009 at 04:13 AM.
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    Ok. There seems to be a problem self signing certs natively on the pre itself.

I believe this is the command that is giving us problems....

openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:1024 -keyout mycert.pem -out mycert.pem

Stay tuned for a package and a work around.
    The openssl package in optware should be a full and complete package. Let me know if there are any problems using that one.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/22/2009 at 04:13 AM.
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    The next logical step here is to open a dialogue box that asks the user if they want to install the package from within the email app. I would not be a good idea to modify such an important app on the pre for the general populous. Maybe Palm can add this to the next update?
    From a discussion on #webos about being able to install applications from email links, the reaction from a Palm developer was that he didn't think that should be possible (for the "tech" bloggers out there who so poorly covered the tethering issue - that is *not* an official Palm statement).

So don't be surprised if that capability is missing in the next OTA update. Of course since the webOS Doctor can install unsigned firmware images, that just starts a to-and-fro escalation of modified images from other sources that will not respect Palm's code copyright until Palm starts to ship products with a modified bootloader ...

I personally think that Palm *should* plug any hole that allows unsigned applications that can freely execute code as root on a device without the device owner having explicitly done something special (e.g. turn on developer mode).

We really don't want the Pre to have the same reputation regarding Trojans, malware and phishing attacks as Microsoft Internet Explorer ... the unwary non-technical Pre user who is tricked into clicking on a .ipk link must be protected from malware.

In my opinion, Palm should keep the developer mode functionality, but plug anything that does not depend on you entering developer mode first.

-- Rod
    Last edited by rwhitby; 06/22/2009 at 04:12 AM.
    well its up on engadget now fellas (ladies?)

anyway good work, and strong showing of diligence and patients when dealing with the implications.
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Looking forward to seeing what this phone can really do, and hoping not to root. Great work!
    Hmmm. Hey Dieter, I use your bit.ly link in an email sent to my phone and clicked it, but all it did was kept opening Web cards over and over until I punched Stop.

When I sent the real URL of the ipk, though, it worked.

Is the app supposed to do anything though? Nothing actually launches for me.
    Last edited by DeusInnomen; 06/22/2009 at 09:18 AM. Reason: Further testing.
    Global Posts
    12 Global Posts
    You have to make sure you're emailing yourself the correct link. Otherwise the browser will just keep opening new cards.

http ://images.precentral.net/sites/precentral.net/files/software/simplyflipflops/com.simplyflipflops_0.9.99_all.ipk
Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213 ... LastLast