Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Yes. We just need to make Debian packages in IPK format and host them somewhere and email the links. Use the package linked earlier as a reference point for file format and structure. Let the application deployment begin.... Hello world.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Great job ssf. I was on the right track but you hit the home run.

This should be worth of a sticky and Pre Central article.
    The only burning question that remains is whether the signatures inside the packages are needed or at least re-creatable.

All of the packages I see now have all been signed. A few of the packages from before were not signed which may explain why the applications in the app catalog are updated so often. Perhaps palm is forcing the apps to be "signed" to protect the end user and/or the installation process itself.
    Last edited by simplyflipflops; 06/20/2009 at 01:56 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Well you hit 3rd base for now, a good start. When I get a chance, I'm going to create a Debian package and see what happens.

Here are instructions for creating packages...
    http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/li.../l-debpkg.html

I haven't tested it yet on Pre.

If someone can find easier instructions, please post.
    Last edited by xorg; 06/20/2009 at 02:19 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Well you hit 3rd base for now, a good start. When I get a chance, I'm going to create a Debian package and see what happens.

Here are instructions for creating packages...
    Create Debian Linux packages

I haven't tested it yet on Pre.

If someone can find easier instructions, please post.
    This could be the ticket for signing....

Signing .deb packages PurpleFloyd’s Blog
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I've made some ground...

A debian package is simply an archive file with tarballs. Here is what a stock webOS package looks like...

# ar tv packagename.ipk

rw-r--r-- 0/0 6582 Jun 18 00:44 2009 cert.pem
    rw-r--r-- 0/0 265 Jun 18 00:44 2009 control.tar.gz
    rw-r--r-- 0/0 877233 Jun 18 00:44 2009 data.tar.gz
    rw-r--r-- 0/0 4 Jun 18 00:44 2009 debian-binary
    rw-r--r-- 0/0 800 Jun 18 00:44 2009 pubkey.pem
    rw-r--r-- 0/0 512 Jun 18 00:44 2009 signature.sha1

The control file looks like this...

Package: com.lumoslabs.speed-brain
    Version: 0.9.13
    Section: misc
    Priority: optional
    Architecture: all
    Maintainer: lumoslabs <palm@palm.com>
    Description: Speed Brain
    Installed-Size: 943

The data.tar.gz file has an _absolute_ path of /usr/palm/applications/com.whateverprogram

So to create a webos package...

edit the control file and tarball it
    also tarball /usr/palm/applications/com.appname to data.tar.gz

not sure about the signature yet, probably can't steal from another app, or once you create the key...

archive the whole thing..

ar -r (package name).ipk files

I'm stuck on getting an absolute path because the data tarball wants the /usr/palm/applications with absolute path (with a leading slash, not a leading dot). The default to create with tar is relative paths. The tar command included with webOS doesn't appear to allow the -P flag to do absolute paths. I need to load a full feature tar or tar on a linux box. Have run out of time, need to get going for dinner tonite. Maybe someone will beat me to this by the time I can work on this tomorrow. I challenge all devheads out there to waste your Saturday night and beat me to it.
    Last edited by xorg; 06/22/2009 at 08:41 AM.
    I've been making serious progress too.. Should have a "hello world" package top share along with step by steps momentarily.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I'm wondering if a key/signature is even needed...

Gotta go for dinner at friends, will be watching for your hello world browsing on my Pre tonite.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    Awesome work that you guys are doing. This is a great step forward.
    Global Posts
    24 Global Posts
    I'm excited as well. My question is why won't this work in the browser. What is it about the email client that allows us to do this?
    awesome job... my mouth is drooling with anticipation!!! will be watching this post very closely
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bales View Post
    I'm excited as well. My question is why won't this work in the browser. What is it about the email client that allows us to do this?
    Probably has to do with being able to save files from email and not from the browser. For whatever reason, we can save photos and .pdf files (the only ones that I've tried) from either email or mms, but not the web browser.

wtb opera mini for the pre. D=
    Ok. I'm having problems getting the package installed into /var/usr/palm. I can get it installed via command line ipkg install but not through the email link....

Here is the setup for creating IPKs:

I am working from /media/internal/package as my package root and working directory.

I've created a folder called CONTROL
    I make a file CONTROL/control.

and I've populated it with the following info:

Package: com.simplyflipflops
    Version: 0.9.99
    Section: misc
    Priority: optional
    Architecture: all
    Maintainer: Simplyflipflops <palm@palm.com>
    Description: Deployment IPK Package Test
    Installed-Size: 350

------------------------------------------------------
    I've created a folder called: var/usr/palm/applications/com.simplyflipflops/
    (no slash as it is in /media/internal/package)

I put my WebOS Hello world code in here and modify the appinfo.json to match the version and id name in my control file listed above....

Here's my ipk "make" script called buildipkg.sh that sits in the package root (/media/internal/package) I run, courtesy of another dev:

#!/bin/sh
    #buildipkg.sh
    #ipk building script by Steve Redler IV, steve at sr-tech.com 5-21-2001
    #Thanks for the head start Steve!

# get the package info out of the CONTROL/control file
    name=`cat CONTROL/control | grep "Package:" | cut -d" " -f2`
    arch=`cat CONTROL/control | grep "Architecture:" | cut -d" " -f2`
    vers=`cat CONTROL/control | grep "Version:" | cut -d" " -f2`

#make the application package that gets installed to /var/usr/palm/applications
    #note the . before the /var to ensure we are working from /media/internal/package/
    tar -zcf data.tar.gz ./var/

#make the control package
    cd CONTROL ; tar -zcf ../control.tar.gz .

# I dont know if the debian-binary is really needed but I left it in.
    cd ../ ; echo "2.0" > debian-binary

#bundle the entire IPK up
    tar -zcf package.tar.gz ./control.tar.gz ./data.tar.gz ./debian-binary
    mv package.tar.gz $name\_$vers\_$arch.ipk

#cleanup
    rm *.gz ; rm debian-binary

-------------------------------------------------------
    An viola! You have a working IPK file that is named from your control file variables. If you run from the command line "ipkg install com.simplyflipflops*ipk" it will install the app. but LunaSysMgr will need to be burped and rebooted.

NOTE: I am having problems deploying it via email like the previous example. I get the feeling that palm wants to see the signature before uploading anything into the /var/usr/palm/application area. I've been experimenting with using /usr/palm/applications as the directory structure instead of /var/usr/palm/applications and the app gets installed via the command line but so far I have had no luck getting it installed via a link in an email. I'm definitely thinking it needs to be signed. I've tried copying over the signature files from other applications and it looks like those signature files actually point the files to the /var/usr folder.

Funny thing is that if you install the ipk from the command line, the pre needs to be rebooted.

Almost there.... Someone want to help with the signature portion? Or if someone wants to check running a non signed IPK on the original webOS before the updates that would also be great.
    Last edited by simplyflipflops; 06/20/2009 at 07:31 PM.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Did you get absolute paths resolved?

If app tar is relative path, won't work.
    It's working for me. modify the shell script as you see fit for your pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bales View Post
    My logic would assume this restriction would be for a support type initiative from palm. They could email the helpless end user a package to install for help but they want to filter out the possibility of joe-phisher-looking-to-install-a-nefarious-app-on-your-pre from hosting a file out in cyberspace that a helpless pre user clicks on by mistake while they are browsing the world and installs that app without their knowledge. Makes sense to me.
    I've attached my IPK file. The application itself does nothing, merely proves IPK deployment and IPK creation logic.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    My logic would assume this restriction would be for a support type initiative from palm. They could email the helpless end user a package to install for help but they want to filter out the possibility of joe-phisher-looking-to-install-a-nefarious-app-on-your-pre from hosting a file out in cyberspace that a helpless pre user clicks on by mistake while they are browsing the world and installs that app without their knowledge. Makes sense to me.
    i agree and is also why a sig might be required for the app
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    simply, that did not work for me, I changed the file .ipk and hosted it, emailed it to myself, clicked, but it did not work like brain challenge, did it work for you? what else did you do?
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    I've attached my IPK file. The application itself does nothing, merely proves IPK deployment and IPK creation logic.
    Not this only works from the command line until it can be signed...

Command line is:

Ipkg install com.simply*ipk

(and yes, you have to unzip it first)
Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast