webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Developers >  webOS Development > Installing homebrew apps w/out rooting
Installing homebrew apps w/out rooting

Old 06/24/2009, 04:41 PM   #261 (permalink)

Looks like someone beat me to the punch on posting packaging instructions.
I have my own packaging instructions, and posted them in the form of a Makefile!

http://webonastick.com/webos/Makefile.txt

- run: wget -O Makefile http://webonastick.com/webos/Makefile.txt
- Edit the top section.
- Make sure your package files are in the directory named by TARGET in the Makefile.
- Run "make package" or just "make" to generate your package.
- Upload to web server; send yourself an email with a link to it.

NOTES:
- Not guaranteed to work unless you have GNU tar, make, ar, du, and possible other utilities installed.
- The usual general-lack-of-warranty disclaimer applies.
- Requires installation of OpenSSL command-line utilities.
- You don't edit appinfo.json; you edit Makefile; running 'make' generates it for you.
dsevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by mapara, xorg
Old 06/24/2009, 04:45 PM   #262 (permalink)

someone please try this on the flashlight app
NOLApre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2009, 04:53 PM   #263 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorg View Post
PMP, I just wanted to be clear on how you got the delete working so that I can clarify in the wiki. Did you have to match the package name in the control file with the directory name and in the json as well?

What was the destination of your app... /usr/palm or /var/usr/palm?
I can confirm that if the control file "Package" and appinfo.json "id" are not identical, then the application cannot be deleted. (Orange-clicking or Device Info-clicking both prompt to delete, but the application doesn't disappear.) I was able to fix the discrepancy, install an updated IPK over the top of my existing application, and delete the application successfully after that.

In this case, the "id" in appinfo.json was erroneous.
quailish is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked By: xorg
Old 06/24/2009, 04:56 PM   #264 (permalink)

Quote:
quailish, thanks. if you don't mind, i'm going to post your version on the wiki. the behavior could be different per platform.
That's fine.
quailish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2009, 04:56 PM   #265 (permalink)

great dsevil, if you'd like, please share in the wiki as "Another Method"..
pre dev wiki: Installing Homebrew Apps on Stock Pre without Rooting
xorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2009, 04:57 PM   #266 (permalink)

What's curious is that everyone is saying they must put in /usr/palm and not /var/usr/palm. Is this the case?
Old 06/24/2009, 05:01 PM   #267 (permalink)

Quote:
PMP, I just wanted to be clear on how you got the delete working so that I can clarify in the wiki. Did you have to match the package name in the control file with the directory name and in the json as well?

What was the destination of your app... /usr/palm or /var/usr/palm?

Names had to match and I use usr, not var.
Thanks!
pimpmypre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2009, 05:01 PM   #268 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by quailish View Post
I can confirm that if the control file "Package" and appinfo.json "id" are not identical, then the application cannot be deleted. (Orange-clicking or Device Info-clicking both prompt to delete, but the application doesn't disappear.) I was able to fix the discrepancy, install an updated IPK over the top of my existing application, and delete the application successfully after that.
In this case, the "id" in appinfo.json was erroneous.
Thanks for clarifying, I didn't catch it as a 'requirement' when I bundled. I've updated the wiki to ensure they are matched.
Old 06/24/2009, 05:02 PM   #269 (permalink)

quailish, Thank You! I have been trying to repackage and resign existing apps as well with no success. I just used your script to created the control.tar.gz and data.tar.gz and it worked first time. I also used /usr and could not get the application to install with /var/usr. WebOS still put my app in /var/usr however.
Nick1472 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/24/2009, 05:04 PM   #270 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spotter View Post
pimpmypre, was my guess right? package name didn't line up with ipk name?
No, actually - it's control, json and app name. The ipk can be called anything you want.
Old 06/24/2009, 06:09 PM   #271 (permalink)

I wonder if there is different behavior of packaging commands depending on platform. I was actually doing the packaging within a rooted Pre and loaded the arm-based version of the needed commands. The behavior could be different.
Old 06/25/2009, 04:05 AM   #272 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jf1081 View Post

Does this mean I can write an app, share it on my network through IIS on a Windows Pro machine and then email myself a link to it?
this is a palm pre, you can do anything. you know this...
oc80z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 11:51 AM   #273 (permalink)

Quote:
I wonder if there is different behavior of packaging commands depending on platform. I was actually doing the packaging within a rooted Pre and loaded the arm-based version of the needed commands. The behavior could be different.
Could be. I know I use different options with ar than you do in your version. I also tar mine differently.
Old 06/25/2009, 01:22 PM   #274 (permalink)

Who's interesting in making a web service where the user uploads a tar ball to a website and the website automatically packages the application and emails the author the link?

Simple upload webform followed by a shell script for processing and delivery...
simplyflipflops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/25/2009, 01:35 PM   #275 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
Who's interesting in making a web service where the user uploads a tar ball to a website and the website automatically packages the application and emails the author the link?

Simple upload webform followed by a shell script for processing and delivery...
I don't feel I know enough yet about how the packaging works, but I'd be happy to work alongside anyone who wants to build this. My primary function would be as a tester. I'm very thorough and that's likely to help such a site get off the ground with a good running start. [I can also help develop such a site but I wouldn't want to be the primary person right now.]

Edit: PS: If nobody else steps up to help, I might be able to step in and do it, but it might be a slower start than otherwise. I'm good with the shell script side of things, but I'd need a little guidance on the web service side of things.

bob
Old 06/25/2009, 10:34 PM   #276 (permalink)

I have an update on the issue I was having. If anyone remembers, a couple of days ago I set up Evan Coury's "Hello world" for the e-mail install, since nobody had done an e-mail install with a "working" app at that point. It worked, but I couldn't get it deleted.

It looks like my packaging method for data.tar.gz was the culprit - I was using the GUI in Ubuntu's Nautilus file manager for it, because it was simple and quick, and produced an internal path that looked exactly like the one simplyflipflops had at the time.

It wasn't giving absolute paths with the leading "/".

After seeing that mentioned on the wiki, I tried using the command line - like I had to do for control.tar.gz - so I could get that leading "/". Once I did that, it overwrote the previous version, and I was able to delete it from my pre (which I have never rooted) using the "hold orange and tap" method.
bbrg548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Thanked by mapara, xorg
Old 06/25/2009, 11:26 PM   #277 (permalink)

^Thanks for clarifying. We debated the need for absolute paths with leading slash before having success. I suspected it was needed and could only get it to work that way. I documented it that way but wasn't certain if it was absolutely (hella lame pun intended) necessary. Appears that leading slash is indeed needed in the data tarball. You however do not want a leading slash for the control tarball.

Not all distributions have the P flag in tar to give absolute paths. Some may need to get a full tar or gnutar.
Old 06/26/2009, 02:02 AM   #278 (permalink)

You guys did a great job! Thanks.

All we need now is some kind of packager (for linux) and one skeleton app to start with.
mapara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06/27/2009, 09:17 AM   #279 (permalink)

To help kick homebrew into gear a little faster, I'd be willing to do the packaging for the first few developers who PM me. I won't be able to do this long term, but am willing to help the first few in order to pick up the pace. Please don't contact me unless you have a fully functioning app ready to test. - xorg
Old 06/27/2009, 12:16 PM   #280 (permalink)
dkr

Just installed Cygwin on my laptop and used the Makefile approach. Works perfectly! Thanks.

-dave
dkr is offline   Reply With Quote

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0