Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    The tip calculator works fine. I had no problem removing it, adding it back and removing again.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    The tip calculator works fine. I had no problem removing it, adding it back and removing again.
    The TipCalculator is kind of interesting; although I haven't looked at it myself, according to some observations over in this thread: http://forums.precentral.net/web-os-...-calc-app.html it looks like it may have been developed by someone in the SDK early access program, which means there might be some additional goodness on the packaging front.
    Quote Originally Posted by knightflores View Post
    i too am holding out to test drive new apps, is there any progress on pimpmypre?
    We still haven't figured out the delete issue. There are a lot of theories, but we haven't mailed anything down. We patched the app so that you can reset your tones to default, so even if you can't delete, it's as if you never changed them. We released that as an update/new install - since the new ipk overwrites the existing.

I looked through the code for the app launcher, and it's all based on the id, as simplyflipflops pointed out, but since our id is unique I'd guess the problem is the id never made it into the db3 (because we found you can copy paste your app using a rooted pre and get it to show up).

I'm a DBA, but haven't dealt with db3 before, but it'll be easy enough to check out.

simplyflipflops, xorg and everyone else - I'd like to chat with you gusy and show you how we're packing things up. Maybe there's something to it. I do it a little differently than you guys.

Mitch
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Are you packaging within a rooted Pre or on a separate computer? If the latter, what is it?

You can PM me your packaging method/scripts.
    when will the SDK be released?
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Are you packaging within a rooted Pre or on a separate computer? If the latter, what is it?

You can PM me your packaging method/scripts.
    Seperate computer, and it's a linux hosted web server - I'll send you all the dirty details tomorrow. I have my 6 kids in bed and a 6 pack of Newcastle Brown Ale calling me and my girlfriend. Hmm, 6 kids, 6 beers - maybe I should have 2 for each tonight - I'm beat.

Lemme know if you guys need any help with the applications too. We have a Java guru on our team, but he's been tied up with other projects lately. He should be free soon.
    Palm came out and said they're waiting until the end of the Summer, because it's "just not ready." Yay

Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    Palm came out and said they're waiting until the end of the Summer, because it's "just not ready." Yay
    Forget the SDK for now. We've blown the platform open. Let's do something now.

I'm sure there's a good reason why the SDK isn't available. Common guys (and gals), Do we really need to have the SDK to do what we really want with this device right now? Let's be pleasantly surprised with what more we CAN do once it is released, and right now focus on what we can do WITHOUT it.

I don't see enough packages being released right now from the community to warrant it's release anyway. We haven't even scratched the surface of what's possible with what's known.
    I'm not very knowledgeable about programming/code stuff, so can someone put me at ease here. If it's so easy to create apps that can install when I open an email, where's the security? I'm sure it's an easy answer and nothing to worry about, but can someone clear this up. Muchas Gracias Amigos
    Quote Originally Posted by 1pac View Post
    I'm not very knowledgeable about programming/code stuff, so can someone put me at ease here. If it's so easy to create apps that can install when I open an email, where's the security? I'm sure it's an easy answer and nothing to worry about, but can someone clear this up. Muchas Gracias Amigos
    Unfortunately, I'll be the first to say that there isn't any security right now. But I will also be the first to say that I have implemented code that allows the end user to accept or deny the IPK package before installing. Granted it's basic at this point and is probably not as robust as it should be, but it serves it's purpose. I'm sure palm is working on a more elegant solution.

You can find my code here:

pre dev wiki: Email App Patch to Prompt for IPK Installation

I would package it up for distro, and while I can give instructions on how to install it (via rooted pre), somehow I can't bring myself to overwrite existing palm code.
    well, neither the speedbrain or tipcalculator works on mine.. e-mailed to my phone, nothing even after a reboot.

the tipcalculator seemed to download, but the speedbrain took two taps it seemed to say "cannot find an application which can open this file"

NVM.. had to actually email the LINK, not the actual .ipk file. sorry!
    Last edited by theromanone; 06/24/2009 at 02:04 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpmypre View Post
    We still haven't figured out the delete issue. There are a lot of theories, but we haven't mailed anything down. We patched the app so that you can reset your tones to default, so even if you can't delete, it's as if you never changed them. We released that as an update/new install - since the new ipk overwrites the existing.

I looked through the code for the app launcher, and it's all based on the id, as simplyflipflops pointed out, but since our id is unique I'd guess the problem is the id never made it into the db3 (because we found you can copy paste your app using a rooted pre and get it to show up).

I'm a DBA, but haven't dealt with db3 before, but it'll be easy enough to check out.

simplyflipflops, xorg and everyone else - I'd like to chat with you gusy and show you how we're packing things up. Maybe there's something to it. I do it a little differently than you guys.

Mitch
    I wonder if there's a way to somehow mail yourself a "delete link". Meaning a special "app" that goes after this thing & deletes it.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    my assumption on deleting apps is that the ipk can be removed from the system if it can corrolate the ipk name to the name the application exposes to it via mojo.

if the ipk name is different, it probably wont work. if the ipk name is the same, it probably will.
    Thanks for offering to help guys - it was a stupid typo. The new version overwrites the existing and now people can delete the app.

Now on to making more!

Again, let me know if anyone needs any help!

Mitch
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    pimpmypre, was my guess right? package name didn't line up with ipk name?
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    So contrary to all the stuff I've seen posted on here, I can't get a package I created to install if I set up data.tar.gz to start from /var/usr. Only /usr will work for me.

I'd like to point out that the SimplyFlipFlops and TipCalculator applications start from /usr---not from /var/usr---and work perfectly for me.

Has anyone else experienced this and can shed some light?

EDIT: And this is even though / is mounted read-only.
    Quote Originally Posted by dsevil View Post
    So contrary to all the stuff I've seen posted on here, I can't get a package I created to install if I set up data.tar.gz to start from /var/usr. Only /usr will work for me.

I'd like to point out that the SimplyFlipFlops and TipCalculator applications start from /usr---not from /var/usr---and work perfectly for me.

Has anyone else experienced this and can shed some light?

EDIT: And this is even though / is mounted read-only.
    Our Pimp My Sounds app start with usr - I believe the Pre loads them in var by default. I couldn't make an installable package using var - as a matter of fact - I ended up with var/var/usr/... inside my Pre when I went in and had a peek.

xorg and simplyflipflops - let me know if you want my version of how to do this by using a linux based web server. You only need ssh access andmost will give you that with your hosting.
    I finally was able to pull apart the Tip Calculator IPK, modify it as I pleased, repackage it, and install it on my *stock* Pre successfully (without having ever installed the Tip Calculator IPK) using a Fedora Core 6 linux box.

It appears my issues were, in fact, with the structure of the control.tar.gz and data.tar.gz tarballs, although I'm not precisely sure which changes convinced my Pre to install the app. A quick rundown of what I did, and my packaging script at the end:

1. I used /usr/palm/applications as my install parent data directory. (This alone did not get my app to install.)
    2. I forced control.tar.gz to reference ./control and ./rules (instead of control and rules)
    3. I forced data.tar.gz to reference /, /usr, /usr/palm, and /usr/palm/applications (as well as my application subdirectory)

After completing steps 2 and 3 above, my application installed successfully. Here's my script: (You have to tap enter a few times to get through the OpenSSL prompts, and it includes a couple of verification lines from the wiki)

$ cat package.sh
    #!/bin/sh
    tar -czv -f control.tar.gz ./control ./rules
    tar -cPv --no-recursion -f data.tar / /usr /usr/palm /usr/palm/applications
    tar -rPv --recursion -f data.tar /usr/palm/applications/com.myappname
    gzip --best data.tar
    openssl req -x509 -nodes -days 365 -newkey rsa:1024 -keyout mycert.pem -out mycert.pem
    openssl rsa -in mycert.pem -pubout -out pubkey.pem
    cat control.tar.gz data.tar.gz debian-binary | openssl dgst -sha1 -sign mycert.pem -out signature.sha1
    cat control.tar.gz data.tar.gz debian-binary | openssl dgst -sha1 -verify pubkey.pem -signature signature.sha1
    ar -r com.myappname.ipk control.tar.gz data.tar.gz debian-binary pubkey.pem signature.sha1
    ar -t com.myappname.ipk
    I was successfully able to delete the application from the launcher (even after a device reboot). Since my Pre is stock, I am unable to check whether the files themselves were removed.

I hope this helps somebody.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    PMP, I just wanted to be clear on how you got the delete working so that I can clarify in the wiki. Did you have to match the package name in the control file with the directory name and in the json as well?

What was the destination of your app... /usr/palm or /var/usr/palm?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    quailish, thanks. if you don't mind, i'm going to post your version on the wiki. the behavior could be different per platform.