Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131415 LastLast
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Awesome! It worked.

Warning, others should not try this yet because it can't be deleted.

bbrg, you need to setup a settting in json file in the app directory to allow deletion.

Don't test on non-rooted pres until you get that change in. You'll have to re-sig/repackage everything with any data changes.
    Here's the json file it's using (attached as a .txt).

I have "removable" set as "true" (and it's really just a copy and paste from the wiki article). Is there something somewhere else that I'm missing?
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    The json looks ok to me. Does this delete if you have it manually loaded before doing the pkg method?
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    The json looks ok to me. Does this delete if you have it manually loaded before doing the pkg method?
    Manually loaded?
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrg548 View Post
    Manually loaded?
    I think that he means manually copied to /var/usr/palm/applications/

I have created apps and placed them in there and I can delete them without adding the "removable" attribute to the JSON file. In fact, this was my JSON file:

{
    "title": "Steve Test",
    "type": "web",
    "main": "index.html",
    "id": "org.(redacted).pre.app.test",
    "version": "1.0",
    "icon": "icon.png"
    }
    I "manually added" that app by copying to /var/usr/palm/applications/. I see it after a reboot and I can delete it just fine using normal UI conventions.

Is it possible the the "removable" attribute being set to true is what notifies the installer to drop the app in /var/usr/palm/applications/ rather than in /usr/palm/applications/...and that the latter are not deletable without rooting?

Of course, I could test all this...but I would have to reboot too many times.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    That's what I thought. I haven't been able to root (need to figure out how on linux).

I wonder if it's the "control" file. I just realized the information in it didn't get changed to match the app like I thought it did.

On that note, how do you get a .tar.gz file with an internal "." folder? If I can figure that out, I can test the corrected control file.
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    I think that he means manually copied to /var/usr/palm/applications/

I have created apps and placed them in there and I can delete them without adding the "removable" attribute to the JSON file. In fact, this was my JSON file:

I "manually added" that app by copying to /var/usr/palm/applications/. I see it after a reboot and I can delete it just fine using normal UI conventions.

Is it possible the the "removable" attribute being set to true is what notifies the installer to drop the app in /var/usr/palm/applications/ rather than in /usr/palm/applications/...and that the latter are not deletable without rooting?

Of course, I could test all this...but I would have to reboot too many times.
    Yes. Which is why no one can remove the NASCAR app natively without rooting. Anything in the /usr/palm/application space is protected this way, I believe. When creating a package ensure you put it in /var/usr/ instead of /usr
    Quote Originally Posted by PreGame View Post
    waiting on me? i was waiting on you...
    Sorry PreGame. I thought you would be making the package. Did you get the non shell version working?
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    Yes. Which is why no one can remove the NASCAR app natively without rooting. Anything in the /usr/palm/application space is protected this way, I believe. When creating a package ensure you put it in /var/usr/ instead of /usr
    Aha. Probably my error then. The data.tar.gz had /usr/, not /var/usr/.

That being said, how do I get the control file changed and saved appropriately, and would that have been a problem as well? I'm not familiar enough with the command line setup to get the control.tar.gz saved with the /./ directory.

Now I just have to figure out how to root in Linux.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbrg548 View Post
    Aha. Probably my error then. The data.tar.gz had /usr/, not /var/usr/.

That being said, how do I get the control file changed and saved appropriately, and would that have been a problem as well? I'm not familiar enough with the command line setup to get the control.tar.gz saved with the /./ directory.

Now I just have to figure out how to root in Linux.
    What does your tar.gz command look like? I can help.

Further clarifications here... The removable attribute does not place the app in the folder. The folder is defined by the folder structure of your data.tar.gz file. The removable attribute is only a switch for the "App List" UI control from the Launcher's dropdown menu. Technically speaking you COULD add files to other folders on the OS if they were defined as such in the data.tar.gz file.

You COULD probably add items to the startup folder to be calked on startup/shutdown by sending bash script files to the /etc/rc2.d/ which poses a more significant security risk than any homebrew applications could. I am theorizing here again, but PreGame, this could be a good way for you to execute the chmod statements on your shell scripts for non rooted pre's. But to be cautious, if you write a bad script during the startup routines, you may find your pre never boots the OS right and hence does not boot Luna. I would test test and retest exhaustively before trying this. To be even safer, I would name the filename (something like "S99shellscript" where the important part is the S99) so it is the last item in the startup scripts. It would also be possible to have the script auto remove itself from the startup scripts after first execution.

I believe the webOS updates are simply IPKS that touch more than just the /usr/ space. If you have a signed package deployment module for apps, I would probably use this same deployment for WebOS updates as well.

Just food for thought.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    What does your tar.gz command look like? I can help.
    I got it figured out. Thanks, though!

Bedtime, now. I'll see if there's been any progress on rooting from a Linux computer tomorrow.
    What I'm curious about is that the ipk (from simplyflipflops example) appears to contain a full, launchable application with an index.html file and everything. I've also verified that the appinfo.json correctly points to it and that the file actually contains valid html. However, once "installed" by performing the instructions posted, the application DOES NOT launch. It appears to be stated so far that it was not intended to launch, but I guess I don't understand what's PREVENTING it from launching since there appears to be a valid application in the ipk.
    Could someone address this?
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Looks like pimp my pre is the first full functioning (Well sorta) homebrew app out. Pimp My Pre Pimp My Pre Ringtone Manager, RELEASED!
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    Looks like pimp my pre is the first full functioning homebrew app out. Pimp My Pre Pimp My Pre Ringtone Manager, RELEASED!
    Damn you beat me to it. I was just about to paste this.
    Seems like the delete problem is still present. I would hesitate on installing anything in the wild right now until we get confirmation that deleting is not a problem. Plus who owns pimpmypre.com? Because I don't know the answer to that, I will forever be hesistant. The Pre simply has too much information that others would want to get their hands on for me to toss caution to the wind.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Babywayne View Post
    Seems like the delete problem is still present. I would hesitate on installing anything in the wild right now until we get confirmation that deleting is not a problem. Plus who owns pimpmypre.com? Because I don't know the answer to that, I will forever be hesistant. The Pre simply has too much information that others would want to get their hands on for me to toss caution to the wind.
    I downloaded this app and just deleted it on my pre. FYI My phone is rooted but i deleted it holding the orange button and tapping on the app.
    How does it work. Is it useful at this point or just experimental.
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    I downloaded this app and just deleted it on my pre. FYI My phone is rooted but i deleted it holding the orange button and tapping on the app.
    Are you sure? Some folks are saying that it "comes back"? I think the default install location is wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babywayne View Post
    How does it work. Is it useful at this point or just experimental.
    It is useful. It allows you to change the default alert and default notification sounds. They have not yet enabled changing separate tones for email, SMS, and non-default contacts since Palm doesn't expose services to support such changes. they could do it, but they would be swapping out code in those apps, which they can do, but the manner in which they would do it would most likely require them to redistribute Palm code, which they obviously want to avoid.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Are you sure? Some folks are saying that it "comes back"? I think the default install location is wrong.
    LOL dammit your right. I thought I deleted it but it appeared again.