Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    No response from Palm. They apparently released a statement that they won't get in the way of homebrew w/out being very specific.

I'll be working on the Dev Wiki tonite, posting more details on how to do this. Or you can peruse the thread if already familiar with packaging.

pre dev wiki: Installing Apps without Rooting - SUCCESS!
    Alright then. Bring on the homebrew apps.

Homebrew app catalog?
    VisorPhone Clone
    (Please do not thank me - I find it scary)
    Guess its back to working on the autorooter *shrug*. I am shocked they didn't make a formal statement though.
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    It allows you to wear your flip flops to work on Friday with your Hawaiian shirt.
    So I have to wear a shirt at work now? That sucks.
    So we should be seeing, the screen keyboard app, video camera app and others pretty soon? Maybe a page similar to the app store can be made for the pre?
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Can you tell that to my boss?

BTW, awesome job!

I guess my real question is this - does the app not display anything because the package just contains icon.png and appinfo.json files and not an index.html file...or are we seeing security issues that allow us to install, but that do not allow us to execute?

Either way, killer stuff! Thanks!
    We wanted the first application to actually DO something and I was waiting for PreGame's flashlight app. But it needed to be release.
    I truly feel like instead of wasting our efforts making a page similar to the app store, we really should just maintain the links that need to be sent via email.

Once the SDK releases, and Palm opens up the ports for developers to submit their applications, we REALLY should focus on keeping it all as official as possible.

Since Palm is being so receptive and open to us, we should return the favor.

They claimed the SDK will be out by the end of summer, that's about 2 months or so from now, I'm sure we can live with just emailing links for a couple months until we are able to submit officially to Palm.

I just personally think its better to not waste energy setting up an "unofficial app catalogue" which may provide the danger of blossoming into a full grown app catalogue that everyone uses while the official palm one collects dust...

Just my two cents...
    i agree setting up an unofficial app cat. might cause palm to retaliate, instead i suggest we open a NEW thread or maybe a new page on this site where devs can post there links, assuming the admins are ok with that....
    The problem with leaving it open to anybody who wants to post a link to share it with anybody is that we are opening a door for malware. If there is a single unofficial page that houses all the good tested apps that work then it will be more secure. I'm not talking about a full blown app store. I'm just talking about a webpage customize to look decent on the Palm Pre with email links to the apps that work. We may also have a page where we can have beta apps that still need work. This way anything else out there that hasn't been tested or it is posted by a random guy doesn't get used until it is tested.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Something is in the works for a 'trusted' catalog of homebrew. More later.
    Quote Originally Posted by Treolo View Post
    The problem with leaving it open to anybody who wants to post a link to share it with anybody is that we are opening a door for malware. If there is a single unofficial page that houses all the good tested apps that work then it will be more secure. I'm not talking about a full blown app store. I'm just talking about a webpage customize to look decent on the Palm Pre with email links to the apps that work. We may also have a page where we can have beta apps that still need work. This way anything else out there that hasn't been tested or it is posted by a random guy doesn't get used until it is tested.
    perhaps the pre dev wiki would be a good forum for something like this since it would mean anyone posting something would have to be an approved member; plus with the high traffic seen on that wiki any suspected malware would probably be removed pretty promptly.
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    I've started to post howto instructions...

pre dev wiki: Installing Homebrew Apps on Stock Pre without Rooting - SUCCESS!

It's for more experienced users for now but will be adding more detail later.

I challenge anyone to start packaging their apps and be the first to get a real functioning app out the door. We'll help you in this thread.
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Just FYI, I have successfully installed Evan Coury's "Hello World" app (from the PreDev Wiki: Building webOS / Mojo Applications ) using this method.

I used a hidden directory on the host for my personal website, so I can't post a link for others to try it out. I'd attach or link to screenshots, but the forum won't let me because I don't have enough posts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by bbrg548; 06/22/2009 at 06:32 PM. Reason: and then it attaches the screenshots anyway?
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Wonderful news. Maybe Pre Central will host it for you.

To confirm, make sure you remove the app from /var/usr/palm or wherever it is stored. Then retest.

Once confirmed it works on other non-rooted stock Pres, it would be great if you could contribute the method you used in the dev wiki if it is any different than my method.

Note there is a section for each contributor to post their own packaging method.

Congrats btw!

Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    BTW, you can post it here as an attachment if you rename the .ipk extension to .zip. We can then download with .ipk and test it. I can test for you on my local web site.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    I've started to post howto instructions...

What I'm curious about is that the ipk appears to contain a full, launchable application with an index.html file and everything. I've also verified that the appinfo.json correctly points to it and that the file actually contains valid html. However, once "installed" by performing the instructions posted, the application DOES NOT launch. It appears to be stated so far that it was not intended to launch, but I guess I don't understand what's PREVENTING it from launching since there appears to be a valid application in the ipk.
    Global Posts
    550 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by simplyflipflops View Post
    We wanted the first application to actually DO something and I was waiting for PreGame's flashlight app. But it needed to be release.
    waiting on me? i was waiting on you...
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Possible issue - I can't seem to delete it, even after a restart.

In the meantime, here's the .ipk - renamed as a .zip as suggested. The packaging and install method was the same as yours.

(Clarification: I can't delete it in the normal ways - orange + tap then tap delete or from list mode. I haven't been able to get root access using either Ubuntu Linux or Winblows Vista - my only two options.)
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by bbrg548; 06/22/2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: clarification
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Awesome! It worked.

Warning, others should not try this yet because it can't be deleted.

bbrg, you need to setup a settting in json file in the app directory to allow deletion.

Don't test on non-rooted pres until you get that change in. You'll have to re-sig/repackage everything with any data changes.
    Curious, does all the signing and packaging have to take place on the Pre's linux distro (i.e., on an actual Pre), or can I hook this up on Cygwin or on something like Ubuntu?
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Global Posts
    109 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    Curious, does all the signing and packaging have to take place on the Pre's linux distro (i.e., on an actual Pre), or can I hook this up on Cygwin or on something like Ubuntu?
    I did mine in Ubuntu. Everything I needed was already installed.