1. huh
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Using W5MW excellent roam only tweak I can now get signal at my work!

hxxp://forums.precentral.net/hardware-use-trouble-shooting/186071-pre-roam-only-hack.html

As a follow-up I was wondering if it would be possible to show which network carrier we are really are in the top left corner of the screen (where it always says sprint). I know on most other phones this isn't possible but I was wondering if that is not the case for the Pre.

Thoughts?
    The only roaming carrier is Verizon (Alltel towers) so it really wouldn't make sense just to say Alltel...
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    My guess would be that he might be referring to TELUS, Bell, Sasktel, MTS, BCTel or any other North American/South American CDMA providers.
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    The only roaming carrier is Verizon (Alltel towers) so it really wouldn't make sense just to say Alltel...
    Are you trying to say the only carrier Sprint has a roaming agreement with is Verizon/Alltel? Because that is not true at all. I roam to US Cellular.

I think it would be cool to show the roaming carrier as well. The way I do it is dial an invalid phone number and see who's error message I get.

-Vince
    Maybe in LA they only have Alltel.
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
  6. huh
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    There are numerous other CDMA carriers in and out of the US/Canada. I just figured it would be nice to know, especially when your on the border between countries and don't want international roaming charges.
    press star 2 and see what CS answers well awhile back that worked for me i cant remember if it was my 755p or old school i500
    Quote Originally Posted by huh View Post
    There are numerous other CDMA carriers in and out of the US/Canada. I just figured it would be nice to know, especially when your on the border between countries and don't want international roaming charges.
    Very true.....a friend of mine in ND went though some issues with Canadian towers (SaskTel) handling some of his calls. Big $$$$ at the end of the month although he was able to get them reversed.
  9. huh
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Bump: I am more wondering to the feasibility of this request (what type of modifications to the OS would be required).
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I live in Central TX where Sprint currently does not have EVDO setup. All I get is 1x. However, I think Alltel has EVDO setup around here. If I did the Roam only hack, would I have a chance at getting EVDO service?

Thanks for any help!
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    I've never seen a cdma phone that says what roaming network you are on. It could be that CDMA doesn't really expose this information, unlike GSM.
    Global Posts
    790 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    I've never seen a cdma phone that says what roaming network you are on. It could be that CDMA doesn't really expose this information, unlike GSM.
    Kinda would have to, otherwise how would one know if one was roaming or not?
    Or would be able to roam for that matter.
  13. huh
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chafedbm View Post
    I live in Central TX where Sprint currently does not have EVDO setup. All I get is 1x. However, I think Alltel has EVDO setup around here. If I did the Roam only hack, would I have a chance at getting EVDO service?

Thanks for any help!

Yes, if you ran the roam only hack then you may get EVDO roaming (if you roam to alltel and not to Verizon/US cellular). Part of the reason I am hoping this can be done/looked into is so I know what network I am roaming on near the border of Mexico (so I don't get ugly roaming charges).
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ssrjazz View Post
    Kinda would have to, otherwise how would one know if one was roaming or not?
    Or would be able to roam for that matter.
    the phone knows if it is roaming or not, but not necessarily which carrier its roaming on.

i.e. I believe it's all done by the PRL, the PRL defines which towers are sprints and which towers are roaming partners and what priority the towers should be used in.

but not an expert in these things, so feel free to correct me.
  15. huh
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    the phone knows if it is roaming or not, but not necessarily which carrier its roaming on.

i.e. I believe it's all done by the PRL, the PRL defines which towers are sprints and which towers are roaming partners and what priority the towers should be used in.

but not an expert in these things, so feel free to correct me.
    I don't know where the connection choice is done though I do believe it is the PRL. However on other CDMA and GSM phones it can tell you which carrier you are on based on carrier ID... I know for certain that AT&T hides which carrier you are on for those it knows the ID codes for (Tmobile, etc...). If you are on a random carrier (say Digicel in the carribean) it comes in as that name and not AT&T. YMMV as my experience is based on motorola phones.
    Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    what other cdma phones? AT&T/Tmboile.... are all GSM.
    Anyone know if Sprint's PRL works in Restrictive or Permissive mode? It would be hard to implement in the latter, as the tower owner would not be known (i.e. not stored in the PRL) unless it is broadcast.

If someone has a copy of TIA-683 lying around, we might be able to find out if towers identify their carrier.
    t
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceV View Post
    Are you trying to say the only carrier Sprint has a roaming agreement with is Verizon/Alltel? Because that is not true at all. I roam to US Cellular.

I think it would be cool to show the roaming carrier as well. The way I do it is dial an invalid phone number and see who's error message I get.

-Vince
    I just tried this to see what happened and i indeed was roaming on US Cellular not Verizon