1.    #1  
    Hi all - earlier today I attempted to install Python onto the Pre using the command:

sudo /opt/bin/ipkg-opt install python

It got through the installation, but returned a few errors (I can't remember what at this point), probably due to the phone going to sleep during the installation.

I tried to reinstall using the same command again, but it tells me that no changes have been made and it cannot reinstall.

My question is - can I somehow uninstall Python and then attempt to reinstall it? I am not familiar enough with Linux to know how to do this.

Please advise. Thanks!
    You should be able to just do:

sudo /opt/bin/ipkg-opt remove python
    sudo /opt/bin/ipkg-opt install python

or

sudo /opt/bin/ipkg-opt install -force-reinstall python

Please note I have not tried this myself - YMMV.
    An ipkg toutorial is at:

Ipkg - Handhelds.org MoinMoin Wiki

I didn't edit my prev post so that I could bump past N00b, and add a real link.
    Last edited by genoahous; 06/19/2009 at 01:07 AM.
    ipk also has a --force-overwrite that may work if the --force-reinstall does not.

sudo /opt/bin/ipkg-opt install -force-overwrite python

If all else fails, you can download the ipk and examine it on your computer to manually cleanup the failed installation. Here's how:

1) Get a package list:

sudo /opt/bin/ipkg-opt list python

2) Download all listed the packages to your desktop from ipkg. nslu2-linux. org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/

Go through each package doing:
    3) Rename rename *.ipk to *.tgz

4) Uncompress with your favorite decompression tool (I recommend 7-zip for Windows users)

5) Inside the package, there is another file "data.tar.gz". Explore that file to find where files might still be on your Pre. Delete any remaining files from your Pre.

gl
    Quote Originally Posted by tercero12 View Post
    ipk also has a --force-overwrite that may work if the --force-reinstall does not.

If all else fails, you can download the ipk and examine it on your computer to manually cleanup the failed installation. Here's how:

1) Get a package list:

2) Download all listed the packages to your desktop from ipkg. nslu2-linux. org/feeds/optware/cs08q1armel/cross/stable/

4) Uncompress with your favorite decompression tool (I recommend 7-zip for Windows users)

5) Inside the package, there is another file "data.tar.gz". Explore that file to find where files might still be on your Pre. Delete any remaining files from your Pre.

gl
    I want to remove Python since it's taking up 100M of space somehow. got any ideas. I think ipkg-opt remove will work, but can will it remove the packages and files as well?

thanks

still a n00b. a grateful n00b
    Quote Originally Posted by tercero12 View Post

1) Get a package list:

gl
    oops.. you kind of spelled it out didn't you!

sorry about that...

thanks!