1.    #1  
    Hi, I've been following the ongoings over at the predev.wikidot.com and there are several hacks I'd like to apply to my phone. Namely:
    Dial pad volume and background.
    random wallpaper
    flashlight app (when there is more info to make an app with it)
    notification sounds change
    Delete Nascar
    add call durations
    add message timestamps
    messaging in different cards
    and there are probably more I will do....

Anyway, what happens to all these changes after I spend a few hours making them. Will the update erase some/all of them? I think alot of these will be in future updates but I don't want to have to redo them after everyupdate until the get it right themselves.
    It is likely that their update will wipe out many of your hacks, but I doubt it'll wipe out all of your hacks. In the likely event that some hacks do get wiped, consider it practice to play around right now. The 2nd time around, you'll get it done in 2 seconds.
    i dont know much about hacking but i was planning to take this on this weekend, however my understanding is that it is done in such a way that it lives beside the code and when you update it will not affect anything.
    I believe that only the code associated with the apps that are updated will be reset. Everything else should stay the same, unless PALM completely reinstalls the OS.

I believe this is a BETA version of WebOS... too many bugs, and we all are testers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimleng View Post
    It is likely that their update will wipe out many of your hacks, but I doubt it'll wipe out all of your hacks. In the likely event that some hacks do get wiped, consider it practice to play around right now. The 2nd time around, you'll get it done in 2 seconds.
    Or you can write a sh script to do all the work for you .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    Here's a question... When they do update, will they probably just overwrite particular files, or will they probably wipe the whole subdirectory (including our modified files) and reflash it all?
    Quote Originally Posted by Eguy View Post
    pfft ya, totally 8-)
  8.    #8  
    What if the line(s) of code you were modifying moved from say line 183 to 175 or 189? Unless you searched the code for the specific line then you could have a real problem with your script right? I guess even if you searched it's possible for the same line of code to exist in more than one place too.

Hopefully one of you real hackers (I'm definitely not) will write and distribute all the scripts for the rest of us Geek wanna-be's. Okay so really if I was 20 instead of 37 and single instead of Married with 2 kids I'd be the one writing the scripts. My days of all nighters to hack a cell phone are long gone.
    Quote Originally Posted by frankos72 View Post
    What if the line(s) of code you were modifying moved from say line 183 to 175 or 189? Unless you searched the code for the specific line then you could have a real problem with your script right? I guess even if you searched it's possible for the same line of code to exist in more than one place too.

Hopefully one of you real hackers (I'm definitely not) will write and distribute all the scripts for the rest of us Geek wanna-be's. Okay so really if I was 20 instead of 37 and single instead of Married with 2 kids I'd be the one writing the scripts. My days of all nighters to hack a cell phone are long gone.
    You would have to update the script of course
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    You would have to update the script of course
    Or you could code your script using patch. By looking at the source, palm did not remove patch support from busybox.

Patch can easily handle code that changes lines. It's not so good with the actual code being replaced changes, but that's less likely.