1.    #1  
    This hack will enable you to see how many characters are in your newly composed message. It works by overriding the functionality of the "Enter" key. Instead of sending the message, it pops up an alert that shows your message length in terms of "current length/total possible length". You can hit the Enter key at any time to see your message length, without actually sending the message.

To actually send your message, simply touch the graphical "send" button that looks like a paper airplane.

Procedure:
    1. Go to Device Info > More Info > Software, and make sure your version of Messaging is at 1.0. If not, stop here... you cannot use this mod.
    2. Root your Pre, if you haven't already (at your own risk, of course).
    3. Drop the contents of the zip into your Pre filesystem (overwriting existing).
    4. Reboot your Pre.
    5. Enjoy (as Stouffers would say).

This hack is based off of Sprint Messaging version 1.0 (found in the webOS 1.0.2 update, and possibly earlier). This is NOT a complete replacement-- only a manual copy/patch.

Also, there may be a slight issue with copy/paste screwing with the character count. I noticed some comments in Palm's code that talks about this. Please post some feedback in this thread if you're having issues, or can improve upon the hack. I welcome all constructive criticism
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by BigMatza; 06/18/2009 at 09:02 AM. Reason: Whoops-- forgot attachment
    You should list the changes that you made (as opposed to the whole files - this is Palm copyrighted code, I believe) and post this up on the Dev Wiki.
    i have rooted my pre and been able to edit different apps but i do not know how to drop content from the computer into the pre file system. any help you can offer would be appreciated
    I just checked the files contained in the OP's ZIP file. I haven't tried it yet.

3 files were modified:
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/chatview-assistant.jsjsjs
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/controllers/compose-assistant.jsjsjs
    /usr/palm/applications/com.palm.app.messaging/app/utilities/CharacterCounter.jsjsjs

Changes made in file chatview-assistant.jsjsjs :
    Line 1675, was changed from:
    Code:
    if (event && Mojo.Char.isEnterKey(event.keyCode)) {
    To:
    Code:
    //if (event && Mojo.Char.isEnterKey(event.keyCode)) {
    if (0) {
    Changes made in file compose-assistant.jsjsjs:
    Line 279, was changed from:
    Code:
    if (event && Mojo.Char.isEnterKey(event.keyCode)) {
    To:
    Code:
    //if (event && Mojo.Char.isEnterKey(event.keyCode)) {
    if (0) {
    Changes made in file CharacterCounter.jsjsjs:
    Line 205, was changed from:
    Code:
    if(_maxLength > 0 && event.keyCode != 8 && event.keyCode != 13  && event.keyCode != 16 &&
    To:
    Code:
    if (event.keyCode == 13) {
    	sceneController.showAlertDialog({    
    		onChoose: function() {},
    		title: $L("Message Length"),
    		message: $L(adjustedCharacterCount + "/" + _maxLength + " chars"),
    		preventCancel: false,
    		choices: [{
    			label: $L('Close'),
    			value: 'Close'
    		}]
    	});
    }
    if(_maxLength > 0 && event.keyCode != 8 && event.keyCode != 16 &&
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    i have rooted my pre and been able to edit different apps but i do not know how to drop content from the computer into the pre file system. any help you can offer would be appreciated
    You need to setup SFTP access: pre dev wiki: SFTP Access

Alternatively, you can plug your Pre in as a USB drive, copy the files to the drive and then manually copy them via the shell (the USB drive acts as a virtual drive to the path: /media/internal
    First off....good work!

However I think the Pre automatically divides long messages up into 160 character chunks for compatibility with the TXT standard does it not?
    Quote Originally Posted by ryleyinstl View Post
    First off....good work!

However I think the Pre automatically divides long messages up into 160 character chunks for compatibility with the TXT standard does it not?
    It does, but some people still like to know how many characters before sending (for example, twitter requires you to be under 140 characters).
    Interesting idea... I take it that it wouldn't be too hard to write a hack that makes the enter key actually send a carriage return then, would it? I miss being able to do that on my Treo