1.    #1  
    I just looked at my screen after dismissing the email alerts I got and thought.........gosh, it'd be convenient if my email icon had a number overlay on top of it to display the number of unread email count. Not sure how easy it is...but I know it'll involve some HTML to overlay the count on top of the icon. Getting the number of unread emails is probably not too difficult. It's sending the number to Luna and having it display on the launcher that's probably harder. Somehow that piece has to be associated to the email launcher function. I'll try looking into it. I'm no coder, but I can at least figure out heads from tails.
    When you click on the notification, it brings up that box with a number indicating the number of unread in the box, alongside the latest emails subject
    i agree that would be a nice feature if you can figure it out do tell.
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by NoRemorse View Post
    When you click on the notification, it brings up that box with a number indicating the number of unread in the box, alongside the latest emails subject
    Yeah, I noticed that, but if I dismiss it and ignore it, I'd like to know what the total is without launching into the inbox. I dunno, it'd just be a handy little tweak.
    Here are some quick thoughts based on what the Calendar app does to set an icon with the date:

The Calendar app has 31 separate icons, one for each day, in its images/launcher directory.

In app/controllers/app-assistant.jsjsjs, $there$ $is$ $an$ $updateCalendarAppIcon$ $function$ $that$ $takes$ $the$ $current$ $date$, $creates$ $a$ $path$ $to$ $the$ $appropriate$ $image$ $based$ $on$ $that$ $date$, $and$ $sets$ $the$ $icon$ $in$ $the$ $launcher$. $This$ $function$ $is$ $called$ $once$ $a$ $day$ $at$ $midnight$ $from$ $a$ $timer$ $set$ $up$ $by$ $the$ $setupDayChangeTimer$ $function$ $in$ $the$ $same$ $file$.

So there are a two ways to do the icons for the mail app:
    1. You can have separate icons for each number up to a certain limit. Then have one more icon with a mark something like >30 for when you have more emails than icons.
    2. You could instead dynamically draw the number on top of the icon, similar to how the iPhone does it. I don't know enough about the APIs available to say how easy this would be. If you do this you might need to switch between two different files so that it doesn't see that you're sending it the same path and not do anything, but maybe you don't.

Once you have that set up, you just have to call your icon changing function everywhere the unread count is updated. Obvious places are where the notification is sent out when new mail arrives, and when mail is read or deleted. There's probably something else I haven't though of too.

This sounds like a fun project, and I'll probably give it a try some day soon, if nobody else beats me to it.