Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Right now when ever I want to change files I always have to do a copy command to /media/internal then put my pre is USB mode and get the files that way then copy them back to their original location.

Is there a way to simply allow FTP or SFTP access to / on the pre? This would make working on files soooo much easier.

If I use FileZilla and use host name as the IP of my pre with username and password as my SSH login information then I get a network timeout.
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    Yep.

Write Access to USB Partition via SFTP: pre dev wiki: Write Access to USB Partition via SFTP
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Install openssh and use scp.
    Obscura
  4.    #4  
    hmmmm.

That helps but is there a way to make it so that instead of SFTP to only the /media/internal directory instead make it the top level directory, the / directory?
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    If you use WinSCP and allow sftp access, you can remount as read/write and have top level directory access.
  6.    #6  
    I installed dropbear for ssh. I don't have the sudo command enabled, only the su command.

I am not able to follow the instructions because it's not able to find the required files.

here is my output:
    Code:
    root@castle:/opt/bin# mount -o remount,rw /
    root@castle:/opt/bin# ipkg-opt update
    sh: ipkg-opt: not found
    What should I do?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by livewire1337 View Post

What should I do?

You should have done:

1) pre dev wiki: Enable Root Access

followed by

2) pre dev wiki: Enable the Optware Package Feed

Once those are done, you should have followed the instructions in pre dev wiki: SFTP Access
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I have SFTP access to my Pre, but read-only access. I'm stuck in the last step after rebooting. It says "In the SFTP server box enter: sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server" but when I do that, I can't login via SFTP. What am I doing wrong?

At least I got write access enabled via the "pre dev wiki: Write Access to USB Partition via SFTP" guide.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jngai
    It says "In the SFTP server box enter: sudo /opt/libexec/sftp-server" but when I do that, I can't login via SFTP. What am I doing wrong?
    If its doing that, please post us the copy of your sudoers file along with the changes you made as directed in the Wiki for SFTP Access... The order of where you put things is critical.

For reference, that is in this WIki -- Step 4
    http://predev.wikidot.com/sftp-access
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    Nevermind. I restarted the guide from the beginning and I got it to work.
    Still, there is no access to /
    Has anyone figured this out?
    Global Posts
    115 Global Posts
    I've been using a combination of ssh through putty and winscp to do what you're looking for (sftp access to /)

It's an ugly solution, but since you can browse to "/" with no problem, I keep an ssh terminal open a chmod as needed (uga+rwx ..whateverfolder) to get access. It made doing some of the custom global search add ons quick and painless for me. I'm pretty visual, and find it a lot easier to browse to the files I need to edit, and pull them up via a text editor.

The only problems are 1) you'll want to not leave rwx access open to 'other' indefinitely, and 2) when editing / saving or adding a file, winscp throws an error that it's unable to set permissions. But everything's working just fine.
  13. huh
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Maybe a stupid question but its not answered on the wiki. If I installed the dropbear SSH instead of OpenSSH will the SFTP wiki directions work (as it appears to be an OpenSSH SFTP option).
    I have dropbear SSH and SFTP is working fine after following the instructions
    i have dropbear SSH installed and did everything in the SFTP wiki page, but i get this error when i try to connect via winSCP:

Cannot initialize SFTP protocol. Is the host running a SFTP server?
    Can anyone help?
    I am using Linux. WinSCP doesn't work on Linux, so I gained SFTP access using FireFTP (Firefox addon). Thing is, I don't have write access to any of the files. I followed every step of the guide. Can anyone help me?

Or since I can modify the files using Terminal, what command do I use to get a file from my Desktop onto the Pre?

My boot logo image somehow got corrupted. I wanna change it.
    BTW, can someone provide me with the original "palm-logo.png" & "palm-logo-bright.png" located in "/usr/palm/sysmgr/images/"?

Thanks for any help.
    Follow Me On

You all should remember the "ftpput" and "ftpget" commands. Makes it very easy to get files off and on the Pre.
    Global Posts
    148 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    I am using Linux. WinSCP doesn't work on Linux, so I gained SFTP access using FireFTP (Firefox addon). Thing is, I don't have write access to any of the files.
    I've been connecting and uploading files to my home directory via nautilus. Works great. I know most of the filesystem is read only most of the time, that would explain why you're not able to replace things outside your home dir.

You can enable write access with:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /

and set it back to read only with:
    sudo mount -o remount,ro /
    Obscura
    Quote Originally Posted by Obscura View Post
    I've been connecting and uploading files to my home directory via nautilus. Works great. I know most of the filesystem is read only most of the time, that would explain why you're not able to replace things outside your home dir.

You can enable write access with:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /

and set it back to read only with:
    sudo mount -o remount,ro /
    I will try with Nautilus once I get home. But I did set the read/write access with those commands prior to connecting via FireFTP. It still didn't let me write TO the device. I was able to move files to my desktop though. I wonder why it didn't give me write permissions even though the command goes though.

I CAN modify the files using the Terminal (logged in as root@castle), but I am unsure of how to put/get files from my computer to the phone using Terminal.

Quote Originally Posted by Syphon View Post
    My boot logo image somehow got corrupted. I wanna change it. Can someone provide me with the original "palm-logo.png" & "palm-logo-bright.png" located in "/usr/palm/sysmgr/images/"?
    Can someone send me these 2 image files?
    Follow Me On

So I used Nautilus to gain access to the file system. I still don't have write access to the Pre using that. It's weird. Tell me what I am doing incorrectly.

1) I put my Pre in Dev Mode, restart
    2) I open up a terminal. Gain root access (it says I am root@castle)
    3) I enter the command for write access (mount -o remount,rw /).
    4) I SFTP using Nautilus. I get in & I see the file system.
    5) I try to overwrite an existing file (I am trying to overwrite /usr/palm/sysmgr/images/palm-logo.png)
    6) I get an error telling me that permission is denied.

So what can I be doing that is wrong?
    Follow Me On

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast