I'm attempting to get xvid support working on the pre.

So far, I've installed the codec:

# ipkg-opt install xvid

I've added the following line to the resource handler file (/usr/palm/command-resource-handlers.json):

{ "extn":"avi", "mime":"video/avi", "appId":"com.palm.app.videoplayer", "streamable":true },

Now, I need to find out how to get the video player to list .avi files in addition to .m4p and .mp4

Does anyone know where to make this change?
    Try renaming an avi file to mp4 and see if it will play.
    Sprint Pre, Mugen 2800mah battery
    Quote Originally Posted by xenophonite View Post
    Try renaming an avi file to mp4 and see if it will play.
    I tried it. The file did not show up in the player's video list.

It seems the video player parses the video files at startup to get runtime, screenshot (if available), etc. My best guess is the player is choking when trying to parse this info from the avi container (when it's expecting a mpeg container).

I'm out of ideas...
    The pre uses Gstreamer libs, which in turn uses ffmpeg for divx. So you may need ffmpeg with xvid support or a gstreamer xvid plugin.
    Ludo

www.palmopensource.com - The PalmOS/WebOS open source portal
    Palm IIIx -> Palm Tungsten T -> Sharp Zaurus -> Pre? Android?
    Hey guys, just wanted to see if there's any progress on this? Has anyone been able to get an XviD working without using conversion software?
    Bump, this would be huge, any progress?
    Instead of porting individual codecs, wouldn't it better to port VLC instead which already has support for most codecs? Just saying...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    bump
    afaikafaikafaik, $this$ $isn$'$t$ $feasable$ $right$ $now$ $without$ $the$ $proper$ $gst$ $plugin$ $support$ ($as$ $previously$ $mentioned$). $Although$ $tecnically$ $feasable$, $and$ $possible$ ($and$ $done$ $by$ $ajames$), $it$ $wouldn$'$t$ $be$ $available$ $in$ '$patch$' $form$, $as$ $it$ $would$ $require$ $recompiling$ $gstreamer$ $to$ $support$ $additional$ $plugins$.
    VLC isn't the problem. It's the video sink for playback; right now the built in media/video player is the only program that has the neccesary coding to sink to the screen in an app. That program works off gstreamer. If you wanted to use VLC, you'd need to build a new interface, which is impossible because luna is closed source and proprietary. So you would have to close Luna, start an alternate GUI, and run VLC in that.

Unless I'm terribly wrong, and I'm pretty sure I'm not.
    Xvid support is coming sooner than you might think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    Xvid support is coming sooner than you might think.
    What's that mean? Could you give a little more detail please???
    There's at least two of us working on rebuilding the library that runs all the multimedia stuff on the Pre. End result will hopefully be support for more video types, including xvid, through the native Video app.

I'm somewhat lacking in time this week due to classes, but making some good headway so far. Main problem right now is that we can rebuild the library with little problems, but it kills the camera. Have to delve deeper into Palm's patches to see what exactly is happening here. But rest assured, xvid support is at least being worked on.

Edit: Before rwhitby yells at me again, I haven't even looked at the code since that last thread haha. So busy this week. I see he has a git repository up ready and waiting already though.
    Rod's been on holiday the past few days I believe, so you're lucky

In my experience, when he yells at you, it's for good reason, and you should listen :>

My only disturbance is promising the average consumer (like on these forums) that they will have support for something in the near future, when there are way too many kinks to work out and not even a shell app scripted up yet.

The only way I forsee plugins being available, is if we find a way to patch the EXISTING gst registry. I just don't see it being feasable rebuilding or overwriting gst on everyone's pre o.O
    Global Posts
    311 Global Posts
    this would be awesome.... i would love to play more than just mp4 format!

(especially since the converting of avi to mp4 takes a good 2hrs for a movie....would much rather just play the avis directly!)
    Palm Pre (Sprint)
    your best bet is using mp4 videos from your psp or using 3gp converter and using the ipod video format it works perfect i compressed 1.2 g into 2oomb and kept perfect quality 4 the star trek movie i used
    Quote Originally Posted by Leathal View Post
    There's at least two of us working on rebuilding the library that runs all the multimedia stuff on the Pre. End result will hopefully be support for more video types, including xvid, through the native Video app.

I'm somewhat lacking in time this week due to classes, but making some good headway so far. Main problem right now is that we can rebuild the library with little problems, but it kills the camera. Have to delve deeper into Palm's patches to see what exactly is happening here. But rest assured, xvid support is at least being worked on.

Edit: Before rwhitby yells at me again, I haven't even looked at the code since that last thread haha. So busy this week. I see he has a git repository up ready and waiting already though.
    Any updates on this Lethal? I gots money.
    Palm Vx -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700p -> Centro -> Pre (Launch Phone 06/06/09) -> AT&T Pre Plus with Sprint EVDO swap -> Samsung Epic 4G w/ Froyo
    Global Posts
    576 Global Posts
    This would be an amazing breakthrough.
    Any update on this? This would be a really great patch/update to my Pre