1.    #1  
    Does anyone know if there's going to be a true JVM for the Pre? There are hundreds of apps written in Java for the Blackberry platform that could probably be ported over in a day or so per app if there was (well, I know ours could...) When we first heard about the Pre, and that it was on a Linux platform, and the architecture of WebOS, it just seemed so obvious to us that there would be a full JVM. I mean, it is obvious, no?

I'm beginning to get very, very nervous that Rubinstein is turning Palm into Apple's Mini-Me... and in all the negative ways at that
    J2ME apps would work. Blackberry apps would not work.

There is a JVM in the internals of the system (from memory), but whether you can use it to run apps is another question...
    Many of the core frameworks in the Pre are written in Java. For example, when you upload a picture to Facebook or Photobucket, that's done in Java. There are a bunch of .jar files in /usr/lib/luna/java that contain all the Java classes.

That said, as far as I know there's no way to write an entire app in Java (yet?). I would also guess that they haven't implemented any Java UI classes, though I could be wrong on that.
  4.    #4  
    I think WebOS is very cool and all that, but I hope Palm doesn't intend it to be the only way to develop for the Pre. I would be stunned - and very, very disappointed - if they decide to not provide a full JVM. On the other hand, implement a real JVM, and there'd likely be hundreds of new and ported apps available within a month...

In the meantime, I guess we'll remain a Blackberry + WinMo shop.
    It looks like palm include the apache harmony version of java. I found out some website with applet does not work yet on Pre.