1.    #1  
    I rooted my pre did the optware feed thing and now when I log into my profile and try to do something it says "permission denied". Also when I try to log in as root it asks me for a password. I tried to telnet again but it doesnt connect. Help pls

thnx in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by NxtBestQban View Post
    I rooted my pre did the optware feed thing and now when I log into my profile and try to do something it says "permission denied". Also when I try to log in as root it asks me for a password. I tried to telnet again but it doesnt connect. Help pls

thnx in advance

Did you create a user to login to remotley... this is part of the rooting process and must be done in order to login to the device after a reboot?

Create a user and set a password:

Code:
    export MYUSER=preuser  # You should change "preuser" to something else (your preferred username)...
    adduser -h /var/home/$MYUSER $MYUSER # You'll be asked to set your password here.
    Also you should setup SU or SUDO

SU (Super User)

This will login you as root after logged in as your self

SUDO (Super User Do)

This is for running commands as root but is safer because your technically not logged in then as root.

This is done by doing this.

Code:
    cp /bin/busybox /usr/local/bin/su
    chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/su
    And setting up SUDO by doing this:

Code:
    # install portion
    /opt/bin/ipkg-opt install sudo
    ln -s /opt/bin/sudo /usr/local/bin/sudo
    ln -s /opt/bin/visudo /usr/local/bin/visudo
    # configure portion
    chmod 640 /opt/etc/sudoers
    echo "$MYUSER ALL=(ALL) ALL" >> /opt/etc/sudoers
    chmod 440 /opt/etc/sudoers

You may have to run the rooter again and telnet into the device because you may not have any user accounts except root setup..

Let me know if this works!
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    So here is my issue (sorry to hi-jack the thread) I got all the way to the part where it states to Download and run either Openssh or Dropbear.

When I run either of those they state "file not found" either you entered it wrong or the files need to be updated. (I am paraphrasing)

Any ideas? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Ok update... Got that fixed. Now what would one use ... Everyone says edit Line *** but in PuTTY I can't see #'s of lines. What do I use for this. Yes I am new to somewhat new to linux but I have made it this far.... without wrecking anything so I was hoping I could just make it a couple of steps further and get to tweaking apps/dialers and such... Thanks

PS I am in the process of watching (on youtube)tutorials of linux and the such.
    Last edited by Webby_s; 06/17/2009 at 12:33 AM.
  5.    #5  
    I wiped it with the doctor then I did the whole process again with what you told me and still no dice. I dont know what Im doing wrong, it still says "Permission Denied". Im gonna try one more time. Oh and one question: in the sudo part

do I substitute "ALL" with my username?

Thank you i700plus
    Here's a more direct example:

echo "NxtBestQban ALL=(ALL) ALL" >> opt/etc/sudoers

Does that help?
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by i700plus View Post
    Did you create a user to login to remotley... this is part of the rooting process and must be done in order to login to the device after a reboot?

Create a user and set a password:

Code:
    export MYUSER=preuser  # You should change "preuser" to something else (your preferred username)...
    adduser -h /var/home/$MYUSER $MYUSER # You'll be asked to set your password here.
    Also you should setup SU or SUDO

SU (Super User)

This will login you as root after logged in as your self

SUDO (Super User Do)

This is for running commands as root but is safer because your technically not logged in then as root.

This is done by doing this.

Code:
    cp /bin/busybox /usr/local/bin/su
    chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/su
    And setting up SUDO by doing this:

Code:
    # install portion
    /opt/bin/ipkg-opt install sudo
    ln -s /opt/bin/sudo /usr/local/bin/sudo
    ln -s /opt/bin/visudo /usr/local/bin/visudo
    # configure portion
    chmod 640 /opt/etc/sudoers
    chmod 440 /opt/etc/sudoers

You may have to run the rooter again and telnet into the device because you may not have any user accounts except root setup..

Let me know if this works!
    I'm having the same issues. I did all that and still gives me permission denied. How do i know if i'm logged in to the account i made?
    I entered two different passwords in the "adduser -h /var/home/$MYUSER $MYUSER # You'll be asked to set your password here." part of the tethering process. I thought it stopped responding when I didn't see letters showing up. So now, when i try to get on putty, i can't log in. I tried doing the process over again and it won't let me. Is there a way to reset the MYUSER and put in a new username and password?

I also made the same mistake I tried a new user name and when the password failed because it was week i typed an new one. that was the wrong choice root@castle:/etc/profile.d# export MYUSER=cleaninteriors
    root@castle:/etc/profile.d# adduser -h /var/home/$MYUSER $MYUSER #
    adduser: login 'cleaninteriors' is in use

now i have no idea what my password is. is there a default password
  10.    #10  
    I think you might have to run the rooter again or if you want a clean start then run the webos doctor that's what I did and it worked for me, only downside was doing the process all over again
    i am having the same issue. i have tried 3 different usernames and it gives me permission denied are you root.

i literally copy and pasted everything into putty made changes for my username and still wont allow me to ssh in.

Quote Originally Posted by worldstoosmall View Post
    I also made the same mistake I tried a new user name and when the password failed because it was week i typed an new one. that was the wrong choice root@castle:/etc/profile.d# export MYUSER=cleaninteriors

now i have no idea what my password is. is there a default password
    There is no default password - if you typed it in wrong the second time where it asks you to confirm your password, it will leave the password "unchanged", which means no password! Just login as cleaninteriors and press enter when it asks for a password. Then for safety's sake, use the passwd command to change it to something secure.