Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Great, you two are the first who have posted that it works other than myself.

Jack, you be trying to do C comments. Teehee. Javascript uses // for commenting.
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Great, you two are the first who have posted that it works other than myself.

Jack, you be trying to do C comments. Teehee. Javascript uses // for commenting.
    Ah i see! haha silly me. thanks again xrog works great and definitely needed it. well not really i get my music with torrents but still wanted to be able to download without being tied down to wifi if i ever needed to lol
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    With with 1.03 Palm OS release, if you copied the Amazon app as a separate app, you'll need to update the /etc/luna.conf file with the AppPath to point back to /media/internal/applications.

If you didn't do this, ignore message.
    With with 1.03 Palm OS release, if you copied the Amazon app as a separate app, you'll need to update the /etc/luna.conf file with the AppPath to point back to /media/internal/applications.

If you didn't do this, ignore message.
    ive been bad at backing up my **** so i just dont haha so i guess im good
    Do we have to root the phone? Or can this be a dl as the tip calculator.

I am just worried to start changing the code on the phone.. I dont want to misplace an ()>:{}<) and have an angry pre...
    Its always interesting on Twitter @joelb
    Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Distributing commercial/copyrighted/proprietary code that is not yours is not wise and will likely get you into trouble. I strongly oppose anyone using our homebrew distribution method for modified stock applications. Only use this method with your own applications.

I was very careful in this mod not to post code. I only posted the changes for the existing code.

xorg
    446 if (1 == 1) {
    447 if (1 == 1)
    Wouldn't if (1) be more elegant than if (1 == 1) and work the same?

Sorry to nitpick, just wondering (and trying to validate my own somewhat limited knowledge of JSJSJS) &$gt$;$_$&$gt$;
    got it working! thanks for the writeup!
    Worked...this is AWESOME!
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Hey I'm not sure but I think the files may have changed. I was looking to edit the download-manager.jsjsjs $file$ $after$ $installing$ $the$ $WebOS$ $1$.$1$ $update$, $and$ $the$ $line$ $numbers$ $don$'$t$ $seem$ $to$ $match$ $up$ $with$ $what$ $you$ $guys$ $are$ $talking$ $about$.
    Line numbers tend to change after updates. Palm usually does stuff to the apps. Best way to mod is to do search for matching strings instead of using line numbers. I just went back and remodded a bunch of stuff, but had to search for strings since most line #s no longer matched.
    xorg can you confirm to see or if anyone for that matter if this mod still works on 1.1.0 I am updating as we speak if i dont get a reply i will post my findings at a later time.
    MatterOfFactJack
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    xorg can you confirm to see or if anyone for that matter if this mod still works on 1.1.0 I am updating as we speak if i dont get a reply i will post my findings at a later time.
    It definitely looks like it still could. At line 465 there's a nested if that starts with "if (AppAssistant.connectionResponse.wifi.state == "connected") {", it goes until 492, where the else begins to set the track state to error and this.showWifiRequiredDialog(); ...

That whole if is about binding to the IP of the wifi interface. I'm going to poke around a little bit to see if there's maybe another place where the edit needs to be made instead. The wiki page on this mod is one of the very generic ones that says "comment out lines xxx-xxx", it doesn't explain the edits (as that would be posting Palm source code).

It looks like if you make lines 465 and 466 to be (1 == 1) ifs, it may just.. work. There's an else that calls for the wifi IP address, but that else would never be encountered. Sadly I made a few purchases on the Amazon MP3 store yesterday but don't have any to make today (I use lossless encoding, so I only buy from there if I'm really impatient to wait the 2 business days for the Amazon Prime shipping).
    Last edited by azkansei; 07/25/2009 at 07:54 AM.
    A find that was bound to happen. The catch is the wifi only download option for music was done intentionally to keep the sprint network from being bogged down with music downloads, like ATT is suffering from the iphone. We need to tread lighly on the mod, pretty certain sprint will have a say on this soon.
    Well yes.. for me, I'm "always" on wifi, but just in case I'm not, and can't get to a free hot spot nearby, the option is nice. I wouldn't want to do it though, as the file sizes are pretty huge. I bought "Omar Rodriguez Lopez - The Apocalypse Inside Of An Orange", 8 tracks, 1 hour, 120.9MB. That would be extremely painful over EVDO, that's for sure.

That being said, they let you use Pandora over EVDO.. granted, not the same MP3 VBR near 320Kbps I'm sure, but if you're listening for hours, that's gotta be a pretty substantial use of bandwidth.
    Global Posts
    41 Global Posts
    I am certain a discussion or many have taken place along the lines of the ability to see/modify stock code or any other proprietary code, but I couldn't even begin to formulate a search argument for this. Way to early in the morning for that.

Wouldn't developers be worried that anybody from the "whats an if/then" crowd to the ubber coder has such easy access to their code? Isn't it like placing a freshly unwrapped candy bar on the table and telling a 5 year old to not touch it while I am taking a shower?

Great find btw. I have some linux/programming experience and this is the first thing that got my juices flowing regarding poking around in the internals. I learned long ago that I do the best learning when I am breaking things, and I was appropriately discouraged from tinkering with my beautiful Pre. So, yeah great find and thanks a lot! Now I'm going to have to go break my Pre. LOLOL

Again apologies if this is a way old line of thought, I haven't been keeping up. I've been trying to avoid the temptation.
    Quite literally it is saying "this isn't open source, but here's the source code, here's a nice SDK, and here's how to create and install apps.. oh hey, see those apps from other companies in there? Don't look at their source code please!"

Anything I'll develop will be free and open source so I don't care, but I could see how this environment would scare away a lot of corporate developers. It seems a little insane.

I wish Amazon allowed redownload so I could test this, I may just have to find another album to buy. I'll just test it, I won't even let it finish downloading over EVDO because I only have a 1 bar EVDO signal (that switches frequently to a full signal but roaming) where I'm staying and that would take ages.

I too tried to stay away from tinkering with the Pre, but when 1.1 changed the notification sound I investigated changing it back and yeah that was a slippery slope I couldn't resist.

Edit: found another album to buy, and no, the mods I suggested didn't work. This is going to be an expensive experiment (as I bought the CD as well as the MP3s.. I wish they bundled them for a discount) for a feature I don't really need ha.
    Last edited by azkansei; 07/25/2009 at 09:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by azkansei View Post
    Quite literally it is saying "this isn't open source, but here's the source code, here's a nice SDK, and here's how to create and install apps.. oh hey, see those apps from other companies in there? Don't look at their source code please!"

Anything I'll develop will be free and open source so I don't care, but I could see how this environment would scare away a lot of corporate developers. It seems a little insane.

I wish Amazon allowed redownload so I could test this, I may just have to find another album to buy. I'll just test it, I won't even let it finish downloading over EVDO because I only have a 1 bar EVDO signal (that switches frequently to a full signal but roaming) where I'm staying and that would take ages.

I too tried to stay away from tinkering with the Pre, but when 1.1 changed the notification sound I investigated changing it back and yeah that was a slippery slope I couldn't resist.

Edit: found another album to buy, and no, the mods I suggested didn't work. This is going to be an expensive experiment (as I bought the CD as well as the MP3s.. I wish they bundled them for a discount) for a feature I don't really need ha.
    Wow the last thing i wanted is for you to be wasting money. i actulay do not need this feature myself i just want to know that i can download music on the fly if i ever really wanted to. but to be honest i dont see myself using the amazon store. never the less i want it. haha ok now as for wasting money... search for free in the amazon store you will come up for some stuff that are priced free and some really cheap as well no need to buy entire albums just free songs for each test. but the thing is this mod i am sure all you really need to do is figure out where they moved the same lines of code
    Last edited by jack87; 07/25/2009 at 12:43 PM.
    MatterOfFactJack
    I am puting the begging of the code from the old amazon app as a refrence to what they look like to perhaps help with searching for strings in the new code to find the new line locations.

Here is a preview of what the original code for lines 416-426 look like
    Code:
    416  if (userInitiated
    417   Mojo.Contr
    418         onChoose:
    419         },
    420         message: $L
    421         choices:
    422    });	
    426   }
    now lines 444 and 445 are going to be used as a reference to where lines 446-447 are. nothing needs to be changed on 444 or 445 (blank)
    as for 446 and 447 thats what they look like after i had moded them i do not remember what they look like before
    Code:
    444 Mojo.Log.info("Amazon
    446 if (1 == 1) {
    447 	 if (1 == 1) 
    448		 || PalmSystem
    hopefully this will help
    MatterOfFactJack
    Would something like this be possible on a non-rooted pre in the future? Why is it that some apps need a rooted pre and some apps (homebrew) ones do not? I'm guessing you are changing some internal code on the pre and this is why it needs rooting...
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast