1.    #1  
    I'm having some problems using putty to SSH into my Pre.

When I attempt to connect over Evdo I just receive a connection timed out error. I however am able to VNC in through WiFi with no issues. I installed Inadyn to grab my evdo address so I don't have to keep checking my IP. I'm using the OpenSSH install and have changed the settings in the config file to remove -i eth0 from both lines.

IM STUMPED!

I cant ping the Pre via evdo
    I can connect via SSH on Wifi

I dont think it is a firewall issue.. is their a built-in firewall on the Pre?
    Last edited by i700plus; 06/16/2009 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling
    I'm not sure, but I think the iptables setup on the pre only allows listening on the local network and will have all ports on the ppp0 interface set to DROP (which to me would be the sensible thing to do. I would want my Linux-based phone to have all ports firewalled by default).
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    I'm not sure, but I think the iptables setup on the pre only allows listening on the local network and will have all ports on the ppp0 interface set to DROP (which to me would be the sensible thing to do. I would want my Linux-based phone to have all ports firewalled by default).
    That sounds like exactly what I'm experiencing
    Quote Originally Posted by i700plus View Post
    That sounds like exactly what I'm experiencing
    I think technically you could do something like
    iptables -i ppp0 -I INPUT -p tcp --dport 222 -j ACCEPT

And then you would be able connect over EVDO. You'd probably want to insert that in a boot script somewhere. However I have no idea if there are background scripts that reset iptables periodically though ... that would make things a bit more troublesome. I haven't actually tried the above command though, so YMMV.
    I have the same issue. If I want to connect over EVDO I have to re-run talk.py and telnet into my device. After that I can disconnect it from my computer and SSH in over EVDO.. but if I want to re-connect I have to do it all over again.

Over WiFi, I have no issues though.
  6.    #6  
    Actually.... I rebooted my pre again after double checking the file, mind you I am using OpenSSH and not dropbear if that makes a difference but I am now able to connect to the pre using my laptop at home with comcast internet and a wrt54g router with nothing setup on it except upnp turned on. I'm thinking that my work blocks incoming and outgoing port 222.