Global Posts
    1,010 Global Posts
    Once rooted, anyone can telnet into the Pre via EVDO. A bot could easily get access and root is not passwd protected. Is it ok to set a password for root?

On Pre, visit whatismyip.com to get EVDO address and then telnet to that address from any computer.

I'll probably shut off telnet but I want to passwd protect root anywho.
    Global Posts
    143 Global Posts
    hey how did u get past step five i dont get how to download from subversion, for the iphone i was able to change my ssh password maybe follow a similar way to that?
    just install ssh and disable root access through ssh. Once you reboot, telnet will be closed.
    Quote Originally Posted by dog44 View Post
    hey how did u get past step five i dont get how to download from subversion, for the iphone i was able to change my ssh password maybe follow a similar way to that?
    Look at the windows instructions. I updated them last night.

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by xorg View Post
    Once rooted, anyone can telnet into the Pre via EVDO. A bot could easily get access and root is not passwd protected. Is it ok to set a password for root?

On Pre, visit whatismyip.com to get EVDO address and then telnet to that address from any computer.

I'll probably shut off telnet but I want to passwd protect root anywho.
    I've found I can't telnet in unless I run the talk.py script first... though I can SSH in, but then root doesn't work as a login from that method... I've been telnetting in over EVDO today from work, and every time I've definitely had to run the talk.py script first. SSH is blocked by the firewall, so I can't really use that here.