Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 140 of 433
  1. sur4die's Avatar
    Posts
    4 Posts
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    #121  
    i have been running freq scalling since sunday with no problems.

    i have it set to respawn on boot with an event.d script as described on the wiki. i listened to local music on my ride home on sunday night (~1 hour) and i'm testing with pandora right now.

    i'm definitely still scaling too because i can see in the "time_in_state" file that the times for both 600 and 125 are incrementing.
  2. #122  
    Quote Originally Posted by sur4die View Post
    i have been running freq scalling since sunday with no problems.

    i have it set to respawn on boot with an event.d script as described on the wiki. i listened to local music on my ride home on sunday night (~1 hour) and i'm testing with pandora right now.

    i'm definitely still scaling too because i can see in the "time_in_state" file that the times for both 600 and 125 are incrementing.
    Sounds like you're in the minority when it comes to this.
  3. jclusso's Avatar
    Posts
    27 Posts
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    #123  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Sounds like you're in the minority when it comes to this.
    I guess being a minority can be good sometimes... LOL
  4. #124  
    FYI, I've been running my phone locked at 600MHz for over a day now with no issues. Runs smoother and doesn't seem to change battery life much at all. It doesn't even seem to get much warmer during heavy use, but I also haven't tried using it while on the charger.
  5. #125  
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickerZ View Post
    FYI, I've been running my phone locked at 600MHz for over a day now with no issues. Runs smoother and doesn't seem to change battery life much at all. It doesn't even seem to get much warmer during heavy use, but I also haven't tried using it while on the charger.
    Locked at 600, or scaling to 600? Those are 2 totally different things...
  6. #126  
    Has anyone had it freeze while they were using it with scaled enabled?
  7. #127  
    Quote Originally Posted by spotter View Post
    if I knew the layout of the pre, I could probably get it to remount the /etc partition rw in the package's preinst script and then remount it ro in the postinst script (and similarly for removal), but as I don't can't really solve this, someone else can with a little bit of effort though.
    Here's the commands to mount /etc rw and return it to ro:

    To go to rw:
    mount -o remount,rw /

    To go back to ro:
    mount -o remount,ro /
  8. #128  
    Quote Originally Posted by JonVisc View Post
    Has anyone had it freeze while they were using it with scaled enabled?
    Yes, my phone froze with scaling enabled. Never tried fixing it at 600mhz though.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  9. #129  
    what were you doing when it froze?

    Note: I don't mean trying to turn the screen on and having it not come back, but I mean the screen is on and it froze while mid action or something of that sort. My earlier post was not descriptive enough in my opinion.
  10. #130  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    Yes, my phone froze with scaling enabled. Never tried fixing it at 600mhz though.
    While you were actively using it?

    I've never had it freeze while I was using it. Its only when in standby/sleep that it happens.
  11. #131  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Heres another resource that might be helpful

    how to overclock your palm pre and enable the TI OMAP3430 SmartReflex mode- no|inc Blog

    That smartreflex seems like it could really save some battery too, by changing the voltage on the fly.

    edit: I wouldn't mess with that, seems to break the phone on reboot. Your method seems much more successful, though you might have to pass the 500000 command to the phone twice for it to work right, it didn't work on reboot when I tried that script.
    hi,

    i think that the reason that you (and others) have experienced crashes when using this, is that it seems as if smartreflex cannot be enabled while using the ondemand scaling mode.

    if you are simply using fixed proc frequency @ 600mhz it works ok, but not with cpu scaling governor changed from userspace to ondemand... that seems to lock the machine within 1-3 seconds (strangely enough, not instantly).

    i would be curious to see (or perform myself) some benchmarking of the various modes..
    smartreflex on / fixed mhz VS. smartreflex off / fixed VS. ondemand
    as well as the above with 500mhz vs 600mhz

    we are all still learning, so, only time will tell.
  12. #132  
    Quote Originally Posted by TrickerZ View Post
    FYI, I've been running my phone locked at 600MHz for over a day now with no issues. Runs smoother and doesn't seem to change battery life much at all. It doesn't even seem to get much warmer during heavy use, but I also haven't tried using it while on the charger.
    From my understanding, when we have the phone locked to 600mhz, it only starts having problems, when we plug it in...


    So, now i don't know if this can be done, or how hard it would be. But if we could make it so it's locked at 600mhz, except when it's plugged in, then it locks at 500mhz until you unplug it...


    Also do any of your friends have the pre? Cause a side by side video if of speed comparison of 600mhz, and 500mhz would be greatly appreciated by those of us who don't have, or can't get the pre for a while.


    Thank you.
  13. #133  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    While you were actively using it?

    I've never had it freeze while I was using it. Its only when in standby/sleep that it happens.
    Froze while charging. Never froze during use.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  14. #134  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    What I'm toying with right now is the setting in cpuidle_deepest_state under /sys/power/

    Using the command:

    echo 3 > ./cpuidle_deepest_state

    3 didn't work, so I'm on 2 right now, and its been about 20 minutes and still going, I'll be testing this the rest of the afternoon to see if it works. If it does, might need to update the cpu-scaling wiki so its recursive on a reboot.

    from my understanding the CPU idle states are as follows

    C0 – System executing code
    C1 – MPU WFI + Core active + No tick suppression
    C2 – MPU WFI + Core active + Tick suppression
    C3 – MPU CSWR + Core active + Tick suppression
    C4 – MPU OFF + Core active + Tick suppression (this is the default for the Pre)
    C5 – MPU RET + Core RET + Tick suppression
    C6 – MPU OFF + Core RET + Tick suppression
    C7 – MPU OFF + Core OFF + Tick suppression
  15. #135  
    oh, and i forgot to mention.

    i am the one who wrote that blog post about the overclock + smartreflex.

    if anyone is curious to play with the smartreflex, setting those values WILL work without crashing -- just make sure you dont change the cpu governor to ondemand... (as i mentioned above)

    also if playing with cpuidle (or just monitoring wakeup's), it may be useful to cat /proc/pm_prepwst
  16. #136  
    Quote Originally Posted by metahacker View Post
    hi,

    i think that the reason that you (and others) have experienced crashes when using this, is that it seems as if smartreflex cannot be enabled while using the ondemand scaling mode.

    if you are simply using fixed proc frequency @ 600mhz it works ok, but not with cpu scaling governor changed from userspace to ondemand... that seems to lock the machine within 1-3 seconds (strangely enough, not instantly).

    i would be curious to see (or perform myself) some benchmarking of the various modes..
    smartreflex on / fixed mhz VS. smartreflex off / fixed VS. ondemand
    as well as the above with 500mhz vs 600mhz

    we are all still learning, so, only time will tell.
    Glad to see you on here, I'm interested in finding out more about this, but I really don't think smartreflex is going to get better battery life than actually clocking the phone down to 125mhz. I've not had my phone on the charger since 7am, it is now 3pm, and I've only used 23% battery life with scaling, I don't think simply changing voltage would get battery life like that. I've used my phone off and on today as well, not a huge amount, not heavy use by any means, but its not just sat idle.

    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    From my understanding, when we have the phone locked to 600mhz, it only starts having problems, when we plug it in...


    So, now i don't know if this can be done, or how hard it would be. But if we could make it so it's locked at 600mhz, except when it's plugged in, then it locks at 500mhz until you unplug it...


    Also do any of your friends have the pre? Cause a side by side video if of speed comparison of 600mhz, and 500mhz would be greatly appreciated by those of us who don't have, or can't get the pre for a while.


    Thank you.
    The issues I'm having don't rely on whether its plugged in or not. Non-responsiveness is completely random, plugged in or not, and not very common for me, unless I'm running Pandora, and then its somewhat random, but predictable in the fact that I know, somewhere between 2 minutes and 1.5 hours its going to fail, usually closer to 2 minutes than 1.5hour.
  17. slyder33's Avatar
    Posts
    31 Posts
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    #137  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    well, i left it on the charger all night and woke up to a non-responsive phone... =p
    had the same issue this morning. was the first time and have been running it scaling for about a week.....
  18. #138  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Locked at 600, or scaling to 600? Those are 2 totally different things...
    Locked at 600MHz. I haven't tried scaling since it's not very smooth when enabled, even with the up_threshold set to 30. I've recharged with 600MHz twice with no problems.
  19. #139  
    im scalling with 600 and it is amazing no problem at all. battery is much better

    update:
    i managed to make it crash with pandora

    update:
    its official scaling does not like pandora. runns sluggish with pandora in the background other then that seems fine.
    Last edited by jack87; 06/24/2009 at 10:23 PM.
  20. #140  
    Quote Originally Posted by jack87 View Post
    im scalling with 600 and it is amazing no problem at all. battery is much better

    update:
    i managed to make it crash with pandora

    update:
    its official scaling does not like pandora. runns sluggish with pandora in the background other then that seems fine.
    Hey that's perfect...


    Well if you are a none american user, cause pandora only works in the states....


    any other problems besides pandora?
Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111217 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions