Page 6 of 22 FirstFirst 123456789101116 ... LastLast
Results 101 to 120 of 433
  1. #101  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Yeah, I've had that happen too, its not common, but it happens. Most of the non-responsiveness happens when streaming pandora and the phone drops to standby. To answer your question, not yet. I haven't had any time to mess with it really today, and I've run out of ideas, and I don't think anyone else is actually trying to fix it...
    I just started reading this thread / looking into it today. My thoughts...

    The basics are that CPU scaling works, and then at some indeterminate point, the Pre becomes unresponsive. Not the worst thing in the word as unresponsive is much better than bricked or simply fried.

    I doubt we do, but is there access to the code that switches the CPU frequency itself, or is there a callback that happens somewhere when that happens? If so, that is a start. We could then log the switches and find out what is happening, when it is freezing or if it happens at a certain point. (Does the Pre call out to update servers at a certain time? Since it seems to freeze a) at night b) plugged in c) idle for a long period of time. It could be one of those issues or 2 or 3 that triggers it, but the first thing is to determine the cause.
    If nothing else a cron job executed every minute? 30 seconds? 10 seconds? more? less? could be used to get the frequency and log it?

    Having a log is the first step in that regard unless someone thinks of something better.
  2. #102  
    Quote Originally Posted by JonVisc View Post
    I just started reading this thread / looking into it today. My thoughts...

    The basics are that CPU scaling works, and then at some indeterminate point, the Pre becomes unresponsive. Not the worst thing in the word as unresponsive is much better than bricked or simply fried.

    I doubt we do, but is there access to the code that switches the CPU frequency itself, or is there a callback that happens somewhere when that happens? If so, that is a start. We could then log the switches and find out what is happening, when it is freezing or if it happens at a certain point. (Does the Pre call out to update servers at a certain time? Since it seems to freeze a) at night b) plugged in c) idle for a long period of time. It could be one of those issues or 2 or 3 that triggers it, but the first thing is to determine the cause.
    If nothing else a cron job executed every minute? 30 seconds? 10 seconds? more? less? could be used to get the frequency and log it?

    Having a log is the first step in that regard unless someone thinks of something better.
    It happens when streaming Pandora more than anything else, for me. Over EVDO thus far, I haven't tried streaming Pandora at home while on my WiFi network. Maybe its related to the radio? I'm really not sure, like I said, I'll try my WiFi later and see if it still happens.
  3. #103  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    It happens when streaming Pandora more than anything else, for me. Over EVDO thus far, I haven't tried streaming Pandora at home while on my WiFi network. Maybe its related to the radio? I'm really not sure, like I said, I'll try my WiFi later and see if it still happens.
    After I enabled scaling, I used my EV-DO and WiFi quite a bit searching the net, checking email, and just using the phone to feel the 600mhz snappyness.

    It played with it for about 30 min, then started it to charge. It charged fine for about 40 min until I went to bad. No idea how long it continued to run for, but when I woke up in the morning, I noticed the screen was blank, but the backlight of the phone was still on and it was very hot.

    Could it possibly be an issue with the GPU? Not sure how much the CPU scaling affects the speed of the GPU.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  4. #104  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    After I enabled scaling, I used my EV-DO and WiFi quite a bit searching the net, checking email, and just using the phone to feel the 600mhz snappyness.

    It played with it for about 30 min, then started it to charge. It charged fine for about 40 min until I went to bad. No idea how long it continued to run for, but when I woke up in the morning, I noticed the screen was blank, but the backlight of the phone was still on and it was very hot.

    Could it possibly be an issue with the GPU? Not sure how much the CPU scaling affects the speed of the GPU.
    When its in standby, WiFi is disabled, so its only using EVDO, thats why I want to try testing Pandora with WiFi on, because I don't think it'll turn WiFi off when in standby if its being used by Pandora, though I could be wrong. The GPU is part of the CPU, should be at the same frequency, but the CPU is good up to a GHz from everything I've read, and heat isn't an issue with the cpu scaling, so I just don't see that being it.
  5. #105  
    Has anyone played with the ram speeds?

    Does the ram frequency, and/or ratio auto adjust to the cpu, or do we need to change the frequency of that to?
  6. #106  
    Could voltage be an issue? Does the scaling also scale up/down the voltage relative with the CPU speed? I read somewhere about SmartFlex or something that does change the voltages, resulting in increased battery life. I am wondering if the voltages are staying constant while the cpu speed continues to jump.
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  7. #107  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    Could voltage be an issue? Does the scaling also scale up/down the voltage relative with the CPU speed? I read somewhere about SmartFlex or something that does change the voltages, resulting in increased battery life. I am wondering if the voltages are staying constant while the cpu speed continues to jump.
    Smart Flex bricked my phone, I had to reload it from the Web Doctor. I'd imagine you would see issues while actually using the phone if it were a voltage issue, not when the phone is in standby.
  8. #108  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Has anyone played with the ram speeds?

    Does the ram frequency, and/or ratio auto adjust to the cpu, or do we need to change the frequency of that to?
    I have no clue how you'd adjust ram speeds, and I wouldn't recommend it if you could.
  9. #109  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    I have no clue how you'd adjust ram speeds, and I wouldn't recommend it if you could.
    Just make sure the ram's ratio to the processor isn't locked, or that would cause problems. You need to bring the ratio, or the speed of the ram up as you bring the cpu's...

    If you leave both the same, then it can cause issues. Unless it's set to auto.
  10. #110  
    I'm well aware of how overclocking works, what I'm unaware of is any frequency setting for the ram.



    Anyways, ruled out the 3g radio, as streaming pandora over wifi still resulted in non-responsiveness.
  11. #111  
    pandora released an update today, testing now to see if it helps.
  12. #112  
    Well that was a bust.
  13. #113  
    Damn, this feature is too damn awesome for it not to work
    Developer of:

    -------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
  14. #114  
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    Damn, this feature is too damn awesome for it not to work
    We can figure this out! Or get palm to! I'm determined.
  15. #115  
    I may look into trying to write a log system using cron (if possible). That way if we have users install that along with the CPU scaler and their stuff freezes at least we can narrow down the culprits. The problem is determining what stats to log, how often and what the calls are for services....
  16. #116  
    I have not had any freeze issues, But I have not run anything in the background while the phone goes into standby.
    Elysian893, when you run pandora and the freezes happen, are you running with the phone plugged in or the phone using the battery? Have your waited 20-30 seconds to see if the pre recovers at all? Can you tell me exactly what you are doing that will cause the pre to not wake up in standby so I can recreate these results and see if there is anything I can do?

    - Garrett
  17. #117  
    SmartReflex killed my phone. Don't do it. I had enabled it via command line. I had to take the battery out to get it to reboot.

    I've graphed the temperature usage vs batt life over the last two days here
    http://bit.ly/2j2Qk

    So far, things are snappier for me. No more flickering after I raised the min freq. And I get about 7-8 hours with heavy use.

    Has anyone with a seidio battery tried turning scaling on yet? I'm curious to see how much battery life is improved with that combination.
  18. #118  
    Quote Originally Posted by garrettwp View Post
    I have not had any freeze issues, But I have not run anything in the background while the phone goes into standby.
    Elysian893, when you run pandora and the freezes happen, are you running with the phone plugged in or the phone using the battery? Have your waited 20-30 seconds to see if the pre recovers at all? Can you tell me exactly what you are doing that will cause the pre to not wake up in standby so I can recreate these results and see if there is anything I can do?

    - Garrett
    Both plugged in and unplugged. All its doing, literally, is streaming pandora, no other apps running, it happens when connected to the wifi or connected to evdo. I've left it for over a minute with no recovery.
  19. #119  
    With CPU scaling enabled limiting it to 500Mhz or 600Mhz all the apps, etc. work fine. The issue I have is that after receiving a call or calling someone the phone hard locks and I have to reboot it using a battery pull.
  20. #120  
    Maybe it has something to do with the networking protocol? Seems to happen most when doing something network intensive, ie phone calls, pandora.

Posting Permissions