Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast
    2 is a no-go, got about 30 minutes then went non-responsive. I'll try 1, but I think this ones a dead end... I'll keep looking though.

1 is also a no-go. Still trying things. Anyone else have any input on this issue, or am I the only one working on it?

edit: On an unrelated note, my phone keeps pulling the exact same EVDO IP Address after 4-5 reboots
    Last edited by Elysian893; 06/22/2009 at 02:05 PM.
    So, we only have 2 options for scaling, ondemand, and userspace... userspace just puts it at whatever max freq is in scaling_max_freq, and ondemand seems to jump around too much. Is it at all possible to get the "conservative" option that is common in the various linux distro's?
    I just ran through the thread and handed out some thanks.
    Don't know if your the only one but I'm convinced it's best not to play with.
    As said, maybe instability is why Palm left it disabled.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what effect would it have to alter the up_threshold if any?

New to scaling, but definately intrigued by the perfomance improvements!
    Quote Originally Posted by slyder33 View Post
    I'm sure this is a dumb question, but what effect would it have to alter the up_threshold if any?

New to scaling, but definately intrigued by the perfomance improvements!
    Upping the threshold makes it up the cpu speed on a certain amount of load. Right now its set to 30%, I've tried other levels with no success.
    Quote Originally Posted by fr4nk1yn View Post
    I just ran through the thread and handed out some thanks.
    Don't know if your the only one but I'm convinced it's best not to play with.
    As said, maybe instability is why Palm left it disabled.
    No reason not to expiriment, I'm not going past palms intended speeds, and the settings reset on a reboot. I'm not a pre expert, but I know that much.
    I 100% believe this will be the greatest feature improvement to the Pre, but I think it may be out of homebrewers hands to get it under control
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    What I'm toying with right now is the setting in cpuidle_deepest_state under /sys/power/

Using the command:

echo 3 > ./cpuidle_deepest_state

3 didn't work, so I'm on 2 right now, and its been about 20 minutes and still going, I'll be testing this the rest of the afternoon to see if it works. If it does, might need to update the cpu-scaling wiki so its recursive on a reboot.
    Thanks for working on this dude. Throw me a PM, if you want me to test it out or however else I can help.

This could be really really useful if it stops hanging, because it does save the battery and it does make it snappier at 600mhz.
    No reason not to expiriment, I'm not going past palms intended speeds, and the settings reset on a reboot. I'm not a pre expert, but I know that much.
    True, this is a fairly important feature and yes I'm sure Palm had some issues with it. Maybe they can figure smthn out in 1.0.4, or not until 1.1
    Sorry. I meant to say I won't be playing with it for the moment anyway.
    I still can't get past the keyboard not working. All the changes reverted with a reboot and the battery needs to be pulled each time to get the keyboard back up.
    one question for those who are fortunate enough to have the pre, and brave/smart enough to have brought it up to 600mhz...

If you leave it on 600mhz without scaling, does it have any serious problems besides finishing battery life very quickly?

And has anyone tried having it scale from 500mhz to 600mhz? i mean, it won't save battery life, but it would help speed it up, without using as much battery.
    Just rooted my Pre for this test, and so far, CPU Scaling seems to be awesome. Device seems a lot more snappier and my battery life is stabilized.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    I have tried this and it seemed like the phone was snappier as most have said but my phone seemed to be getting really hot, especially while charging or under heavy use (Sprint Navigation... almost burned my hand after a 3 hour drive while on the charger) Also videos flickered and I really could not stand that. Lastly when I would check the CPU scaling the phone would spend a lot of time at 600mhz and a lot of time at 125mhz but not much in between. For some reason it would be at 600mhz at least as long as 125mhz if not much longer which scared me cause it would be doing nothing and still stay at 600mhz. I think we needed to find some other scaling freq like some have said. Is it possible to add something like conservative instead of ondemand? Hopefully Palm is reading these forums and maybe they will finally take advantage of scaling so we do not have to test it... etc
    It appears that setting scaling_min_freq to 250Mhz does not always work. It'll chug along at 250Mhz but after a while drops down to 125Mhz again.
    Quote Originally Posted by JcLusso View Post
    I have tried this and it seemed like the phone was snappier as most have said but my phone seemed to be getting really hot, especially while charging or under heavy use (Sprint Navigation... almost burned my hand after a 3 hour drive while on the charger) Also videos flickered and I really could not stand that. Lastly when I would check the CPU scaling the phone would spend a lot of time at 600mhz and a lot of time at 125mhz but not much in between. For some reason it would be at 600mhz at least as long as 125mhz if not much longer which scared me cause it would be doing nothing and still stay at 600mhz. I think we needed to find some other scaling freq like some have said. Is it possible to add something like conservative instead of ondemand? Hopefully Palm is reading these forums and maybe they will finally take advantage of scaling so we do not have to test it... etc
    Did you pass the "echo 30 > ./up_threshold" command? I ran the Sprint Telenav yesterday and had no issues.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Did you pass the "echo 30 > ./up_threshold" command? I ran the Sprint Telenav yesterday and had no issues.
    Yes
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    one question for those who are fortunate enough to have the pre, and brave/smart enough to have brought it up to 600mhz...

If you leave it on 600mhz without scaling, does it have any serious problems besides finishing battery life very quickly?

And has anyone tried having it scale from 500mhz to 600mhz? i mean, it won't save battery life, but it would help speed it up, without using as much battery.
    For some reason changing the scaling_min_freq variable does nothing, so what you're proposing wouldn't work.
    Quote Originally Posted by JcLusso View Post
    Yes
    And yiuve set it up so it sticks on a reboot?
    Unfortunately, I left my Pre charging overnight and it froze with CPU scaling enabled. Oh well, I wish this feature was stable, since it was awesome while it was working.
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    For some reason changing the scaling_min_freq variable does nothing, so what you're proposing wouldn't work.
    If you set it to userspace instead of ondemand, and set the max and min freq to 600000, it works. I tried it, but haven't tested it running at 600MHz for any length of time.
Page 4 of 22 FirstFirst 12345678914 ... LastLast