Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast
    The video issue seems to happen when the max clock is set over 500MHz. I wonder if the video chip is run off the same clock?

Edit: nevermind, I just set it back and it just took a couple attempts at playing the video before it did it.
    can't the pre cpu do up to like 800mhz?

Has anyone tried going that far? or does it get to hot?
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    can't the pre cpu do up to like 800mhz?

Has anyone tried going that far? or does it get to hot?
    1ghz, and if you want to void the warrantee and most likely ruin your $550 phone, go for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    1ghz, and if you want to void the warrantee and most likely ruin your $550 phone, go for it.
    well , i'm not saying go right away. I migh know next to nothing about prgraming or have any experience oc-ing a cellphone, but i know simple oc-ing rules.

I have a quad core oced from 2.4ghz to 3.8ghz. Thats more the 50 percent, and it's on air cooling. I'm not saying just put it up to 1ghz, and see what happens, i didn't do that with my cpu, i went verry slowly. But i was asking does it start getting to hot when you go past 600, or does it drain to much battery, or has no one gotten to it because they are busy making it work in it's current condition...

If going to 700mhz dosen't overheat, but drains battery alot faster, i could see there being a "none official app". Were you can enable, or disable scaling, and pick your minimum, and maximum mhz without having to modify the code. (well the app will be doing it for you of course). Then it reboots, and takes into effect.

That way you can pick a setting depeding on how much battery you want to save.

Is there any apps that monitor the different temperatures? we need that, and an app to stress test it. Just to make sure it's stable, and doesn't over heat with heavy usage. I don't know what's the max recommended temperature for this cpu, but i could look into it.

Edit:
    I found this for a OMAP 3430 processor (like the pre's) clocked at 550mhz.

Commercial temperature (0C to +70C)

I would personally stay under 60, because i like to stay 10c under the maximum temperatures. But if after a really long stress test it goes up to 63, it's not the end of the world.
    Last edited by nimer55; 06/21/2009 at 08:13 PM.
    well , i'm not saying go right away. I migh know next to nothing about prgraming or have any experience oc-ing a cellphone, but i know simple oc-ing rules.

I have a quad core oced from 2.4ghz to 3.8ghz. Thats more the 50 percent, and it's on air cooling. I'm not saying just put it up to 1ghz, and see what happens, i didn't do that with my cpu, i went verry slowly. But i was asking does it start getting to hot when you go past 600, or does it drain to much battery, or has no one gotten to it because they are busy making it work in it's current condition...

If going to 700mhz dosen't overheat, but drains battery alot faster, i could see there being a "none official app". Were you can enable, or disable scaling, and pick your minimum, and maximum mhz without having to modify the code. (well the app will be doing it for you of course). Then it reboots, and takes into effect.

That way you can pick a setting depeding on how much battery you want to save.

Is there any apps that monitor the different temperatures? we need that, and an app to stress test it. Just to make sure it's stable, and doesn't over heat with heavy usage. I don't know what's the max recommended temperature for this cpu, but i could look into it.
    Just browsing is enough to stress test it, it uses the cpu pretty well. At 600 I haven't had any heat issues, but I think its mostly because of the scaling, and that it goes down even while its busy if it doesn't think it needs that much power. I'm pretty adventurous, I'll try bumping it up some, I don't think I'd go any higher than 700 though. Thatd already be nearly 50% overclock from stock.

edit: I just tried to go over 600000, and it won't do it. The scaling_available_frequencies is locked, can't make changes to it. The cpuinfo_max_frequency is also locked to 600000.
    Just browsing is enough to stress test it, it uses the cpu pretty well. At 600 I haven't had any heat issues, but I think its mostly because of the scaling, and that it goes down even while its busy if it doesn't think it needs that much power. I'm pretty adventurous, I'll try bumping it up some, I don't think I'd go any higher than 700 though. Thatd already be nearly 50% overclock from stock.

edit: I just tried to go over 600000, and it won't do it. The scaling_available_frequencies is locked, can't make changes to it. The cpuinfo_max_frequency is also locked to 600000.
    Can it be unlocked? like i'm not saying can you unlock it, but could a hacker unlock it, or is it not un-lockable.

So is there a CPU temperature program? cause if there is , could you disable scailing, so it runs at 600mhz at all time, and see how hot it gets.

(if this is hard, or takes a a long time to do, i apolagize for asking. The pre is not out in canada, so i have not really read the instruction of what needs to be done, sincei don't have the phone)
    Can it be unlocked? like i'm not saying can you unlock it, but could a hacker unlock it, or is it not un-lockable.

So is there a CPU temperature program? cause if there is , could you disable scailing, so it runs at 600mhz at all time, and see how hot it gets.

(if this is hard, or takes a a long time to do, i apolagize for asking. The pre is not out in canada, so i have not really read the instruction of what needs to be done, sincei don't have the phone)
    Even at 500 with scaling off, my phone got to the point it was hot enough to the touch that itd make you jump if I put it on your arm, while at idle. With scaling set to 600, its actually running cooler now while using intensive apps, and it puts off literally no heat at idle.
    Even at 500 with scaling off, my phone got to the point it was hot enough to the touch that itd make you jump if I put it on your arm, while at idle. With scaling set to 600, its actually running cooler now while using intensive apps, and it puts off literally no heat at idle.
    that's ncie to hear.

are you still having problems with it turning off in stanby, or videos flickering?

if yes, can it be solved (like potentially)?
    that's ncie to hear.

are you still having problems with it turning off in stanby, or videos flickering?

if yes, can it be solved (like potentially)?
    Videos flicker only when I'm trying to do other things while they're playing, otherwise playback is perfect. I'd imagine the issue is one with the video decoder, but I don't know. I have had it where it wouldn't come back from standby once, but only once, and I just popped the battery out and put it back and all was well. I've got a feeling these 2 issues are why it wasn't enabled on release.
    Videos flicker only when I'm trying to do other things while they're playing, otherwise playback is perfect. I'd imagine the issue is one with the video decoder, but I don't know. I have had it where it wouldn't come back from standby once, but only once, and I just popped the battery out and put it back and all was well. I've got a feeling these 2 issues are why it wasn't enabled on release.
    Thank you.
    I'm having a weird issue. Happened twice.
    I'm not using the scripts. After enabling scaling, using novaproxy and putty, the keyboard stops working and the battery needs to be pulled.
    Even after a partial restore it didn't work. Scared the crap out of me the first time.
    I have been running it for the last few days. I have not encountered any issues. But then again I have not used it heavily as well. The "respawn" I removed and should have removed when I posted the script. It is used for when a script goes to load up, if it exits with an issue, it will reload and try again until it exits without any errors. The "stop on runlevel [!2]" can also be removed as it is not needed.

- Garrett
    Still haven't had it cause the standby issue again. Woke up this morning to my alarm clock, no issues.
    Just want to throw kudos out to all of you brave souls who are hacking your Pre! You guys are awesome! I'm a chicken, myself. Hopefully Palm takes note of what you're doing. Sounds like the battery life upside is huge if you can get this to work reliably.

Also, I dual-boot Ubuntu, and you probably all know this already, but there are several different frequency scaling profiles. I have: Ondemand, Conservative, Performance, and Powersave. I don't know if these exist in the Pre or not but I wonder if anyone has played with these other profiles.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    are you running the script? just curious, I haven't had any of the issues with it locking up or not coming out of standby but I still get the flickering even when nothing else is going on.
    Quote Originally Posted by slyder33 View Post
    are you running the script? just curious, I haven't had any of the issues with it locking up or not coming out of standby but I still get the flickering even when nothing else is going on.
    I get no flickering at all unless a video is playing, and like I said, its only when I switch apps away from the vid.

I've been running Pandora for the last 20 minutes with no issue too. Its interesting that there are so many different results/issues from this hack.
    I just had the Pandora issue, it took an hour and 45 minutes, and the only thing that changed was I opened my email and then left it for a few minutes. I'm guessing if Pandora loses focus while its in standby mode, it'll cause an issue, so I'm going to try and confirm this.
    Got it again with the email app taking focus. Gonna try it now with only Pandora running like it was for the first hour and a half and see what happens.
    Nope, still got the issue with Pandora being the only running app. So strange. I'm not sure why it was able to go 1hr 45 minutes without an issue.

edit: I'm trying something new, I'll report back if it works.
    Last edited by Elysian893; 06/22/2009 at 12:17 PM.
    What I'm toying with right now is the setting in cpuidle_deepest_state under /sys/power/

Using the command:

echo 3 > ./cpuidle_deepest_state

3 didn't work, so I'm on 2 right now, and its been about 20 minutes and still going, I'll be testing this the rest of the afternoon to see if it works. If it does, might need to update the cpu-scaling wiki so its recursive on a reboot.
Page 3 of 22 FirstFirst 1234567813 ... LastLast