Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1116171819202122 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    Worked great... but I'm still having a localized problem. When I do anything with scaling, I lose EV and dont have data unless its wifi. No EV icon and no ota data transmission. When I deleted your scripts and put in the smartflex one, my EV works again on reboot. Dunno whats up with that!
    I am having the same EVDO problem. Whenever i try the CPU scaling mods, EVDO is unavailable. Ive tried creating the script myself, and using the git repo. Both disable EVDO. I'll try the new program soon.
    Last edited by taylor; 07/16/2009 at 10:08 PM.
    I just tried the new cpuspeed program and ppp0 will not connect.

When i ran ifconfig ppp0 i get:

Code:
    root@castle:/var/home/root# ifconfig ppp0
    ifconfig: ppp0: error fetching interface information: Device not found
    FIXED:

To fix it, i had to disable usbnet. After that, i could enable usbnet without any adverse effects on ppp0.

Weird.
    Last edited by taylor; 07/16/2009 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added ifconfig info
    Very active thread and too much to read through. I'm not as technically savvy as most participating in this thread and not sure how I'd enable full clock speed and SmartReflex. Can anyone say any real-world gains/advantage enabling these features? What's the general consensus?...more interested in what's to come.

Also, does the thread participants see this being enabled by Palm at all? ...maybe with release of Flash and video camera support? What do you all think?
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    Very active thread and too much to read through. I'm not as technically savvy as most participating in this thread and not sure how I'd enable full clock speed and SmartReflex. Can anyone say any real-world gains/advantage enabling these features? What's the general consensus?...more interested in what's to come.

Also, does the thread participants see this being enabled by Palm at all? ...maybe with release of Flash and video camera support? What do you all think?
    From my testing cpu frequency scaling really makes a huge difference in battery life. It's especially useful when your phone is idle. I guestimate about half to a whole day extra worth of battery (depending on usage). Downside is that your phone may lock up every now and then requiring a battery pull.

SmartReflex makes a slight difference in battery life but nowhere near as much as frequency scaling. The good thing is my phone hasn't misbehaved while this is enabled.

Someone is working on a software scaling that might be as effective as the 1st way but without the locking up issue. You can find more info here
    I have not tested this way so I can't comment on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jnk5y View Post
    From my testing cpu frequency scaling really makes a huge difference in battery life. It's especially useful when your phone is idle. I guestimate about half to a whole day extra worth of battery (depending on usage). Downside is that your phone may lock up every now and then requiring a battery pull.

SmartReflex makes a slight difference in battery life but nowhere near as much as frequency scaling. The good thing is my phone hasn't misbehaved while this is enabled.

Someone is working on a software scaling that might be as effective as the 1st way but without the locking up issue. You can find more info here
    I have not tested this way so I can't comment on it.
    Wow...that sounds promising if the lock-up issue can be resolved. I'm already getting good battery life with 1.04 and a conditioned battery....but I've also got in the habit of turning off BT when not in the car..but always keeping the WiFi and location ON.

I'm more interested in the UI performance improvements. The UI seems to stutter and not as smooth as the iPhone (screen scrolling mostly).
    Global Posts
    76 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MilenkoD View Post
    I'm more interested in the UI performance improvements. The UI seems to stutter and not as smooth as the iPhone (screen scrolling mostly).
    The iPhone (old and new) destroys the Pre in almost every speed test. They are about the same in web browsing but for opening programs the iPhone wins hands down. You can see the different areas Apple and Palm focused on by what's better on each phone. Apple wanted the user to never feel that the interface wasn't responding to input so they made sure everything was fast. Palm focused on making the UI very easy to understand and for multiple programs to be easy to open and switch to. I'm hoping over time Palm can work on the speed of it's programs but I'm happy with how it is now for the most part.
    The iPhone (old and new) destroys the Pre in almost every speed test. They are about the same in web browsing but for opening programs the iPhone wins hands down. You can see the different areas Apple and Palm focused on by what's better on each phone. Apple wanted the user to never feel that the interface wasn't responding to input so they made sure everything was fast. Palm focused on making the UI very easy to understand and for multiple programs to be easy to open and switch to. I'm hoping over time Palm can work on the speed of it's programs but I'm happy with how it is now for the most part.
    I don't think that webOS app launching will vastly improve (to iPhone launch speeds). I assume that it has to do with memory allocation in regards to multitasking....which the iPhone doesn't necessarily do.
    I have an iPod Touch running the 3.0 OS update, and I wouldn't say it blows my Pre away in opening programs. I'd rate them about equal in this regard. They both stutter at times. Just my experience...
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    It looks like 1.1 has a new default scaling driver:
    root@castle:/var/home/vitviper# cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_driver
    omap
    to carl with the new userspace method.

I am currently running webOS 1.1 and ran cat scaling_governor and it reported back with userspace.

Maybe palm figured it was better and its the default in 1.1.

However i am at work right now and when i run time_in_state it is always in 500 and has not been in 125 yet
    Okay i read the entire thread and read a few more threads on other sites.

I do believe i might have a fix for the people trying to utilize scaling but have the freezing problems with pandora or the phone app or no app at all.

First off let me explain what i think is going on. I am an avid overclocker and have lots of experience. My gut feel is that when it scales down to 125mhz it is aslo scaling power to the cpu.

If you are in pandora with the screen on and are moving around stuff, pandora will utilize 10% or less of cpu while LunaSysMgr utilizes about 40%. This puts you over the 30% threshold that most of you are using since you are using the script that some guy made who arbitrarily set the scale up threshold to 30%. Everybody is happy including the program and the cpu since it will be clocked to 500mhz and full power to cpu. But the second you put it to sleep LunaSysMgr shuts down and you are left with only 10% or less being utilized by Pandora. This puts you under the 30% threshold for scaling and your cpu scales down to 125mhz and so does its power. But pandora spikes every now and then to download the new song and update the screen which could send a temporary spike of about 20% utilization. This may be enough to totally overwhelm the procesor at 125mhz and the correspond cpu power.

This would be equivalent to overclocking a procesor and not giving it enough voltage. When you try and run something demanding (like 3Dmark05) you get the BSoD.

I propose that everyone change the scale up threshold to 5% or 10%. From my testing with "top" 5% should be perfect. The cpu never uses more than 5% unless you are doing something that needs power like running an application or receiving a phone call or some other notification.

I think its the phone calls or notifications that pop up suddenly while in standby that could also be sending the phone to BSoD because most peoples threshold is so high.

Any way for those of you that want to utilize scaling for its amazing power saving benifits change you scale up threshold to 5% and see if it keeps your phone from getting the BSoD.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by number1pete View Post
    to carl with the new userspace method.

I am currently running webOS 1.1 and ran cat scaling_governor and it reported back with userspace.

Maybe palm figured it was better and its the default in 1.1.

However i am at work right now and when i run time_in_state it is always in 500 and has not been in 125 yet
    I got confused with the scaling_driver. I've been seeing weird behavior from LunaSysMgr and Java on the phone...

For some reason they run consuming a ton of CPU and I rarely see CPU speeds below the maximum... It's freaky. I have no idea why they are running consuming clock cycles, even when the device LCD is off and it's idle.
    that not good dude,

the LunaSysMgr usually kicks in when you open or move something. Its like the GUI itself so when the GUI moves it usues cpu %.

When you are idle at standby (screen off) lunasysmgr should show up as 1% or lower unless you have pandora running and it keeps changing songs.

Java is what most these programs and things are written in. The java always has some cpu% for me but is basically 0% at idle.

you should reboot and check you lunasysmgr at idle with "top". if its still funny then there is definately some program running in the background that needs to be turned off or something.
    okay guys i finaly did a lot of testing with my phone and utilized some features that nobody here has mentioned yet. Basically i wrote two new power saving schemes that can be found here

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ificantly.html

no clue what is wrong with the link system but here just copy this into your browser:

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/195875-cpu-scaling-fixes-improve-battery-life-significantly.html

basically i think i have solved most of the problems related to cpu scaling. Have a look and try it for yourself. I and uses the first scheme right now and its been great!

hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    that not good dude,

the LunaSysMgr usually kicks in when you open or move something. Its like the GUI itself so when the GUI moves it usues cpu %.

When you are idle at standby (screen off) lunasysmgr should show up as 1% or lower unless you have pandora running and it keeps changing songs.

Java is what most these programs and things are written in. The java always has some cpu% for me but is basically 0% at idle.

you should reboot and check you lunasysmgr at idle with "top". if its still funny then there is definately some program running in the background that needs to be turned off or something.
    I've got a completely fresh webOS install via webOS doctor and an upgrade to 1.1. No patches applied, just the phone rooted. LunaSysMgr is behaving. However, when I SSH to my phone via EVDO I still get Java running at 50%. Something tells me that EVDO processing is handled via a Java service thread... I didn't see this kind of cpu usage when I was connected via Wifi...

Edit:
    Yup, i just verified this... I connected to my Pre via my iPod Touch using wifi and am watching it via top... cpu usage is low, as it should be.
    Good to hear that your LunaSysMgr is behaving. That is an interesting find about the link between EVDO connections and Java. There is no way for me to test at work but as soon as i get home i will verify your claims with my phone. Its just one more useful fact that will help us in our homebrew efforts.
    okay guys i finaly did a lot of testing with my phone and utilized some features that nobody here has mentioned yet. Basically i wrote two new power saving schemes that can be found here

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...ificantly.html

no clue what is wrong with the link system but here just copy this into your browser:

forums.precentral.net/palm-pre-tips-information-resources/195875-cpu-scaling-fixes-improve-battery-life-significantly.html

basically i think i have solved most of the problems related to cpu scaling. Have a look and try it for yourself. I and uses the first scheme right now and its been great!

hope this helps.
    OK...technical mumbo-jumbo aside, how well do these schemes work to improve battery life? How much better are you getting?
    When im in an area of good signal my scaling scheme helps battery about 30-40%. I have not done any stringent testing but that is how i perceive my gains. If im in an area of bad signal then my cellular circuitry eats power way faster than the cpu could so it doesnt help much.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    To people that have messed around with scaling, do you feel this feature is buggy, and once resolved, will be an enabled feature in a firmware update?

To me, if you can get the same performance out of apps, along with an increase of even 50% battery life improvement, why would Palm NOT want to enable this feature? It's not a security issue, it isn't infringing on any kind of IP or functionality of the phone, it's only improving it. I can't figure out any reason, other than the aforementioned issues that people have run into while running CPU scaling at this point, why Palm would not want this functionality turned on.

Any weigh ins?
    Well the tools to implement scaling are in the Pre. Palm just hasnt used them yet. My personal guess is that they are working on a new power saving driver and governer. We saw a change to the driver in the 1.1 update so maybe they are getting close to releasing a new governer.

Palm probably new about smart reflex and the other power saving features of TI's omap they just havnt put together a good combination of smartflex + scaling that they are comfortable with. It is coming i guarantee it.

I think cpu scaling was buggy till i fixed it. people were using a crazy fast sampling rate and way to high speed up thresholds. Also the scaling governor had issues with those small sampling rates forcing it to change frequencies several times a second. I beleive most of the problems have been ironed out with my power saving scheme. Check out my thread.