Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by pEEf View Post
    Awesome stuff! I find that scaling with the 30 thresh and 600mhz max works stupendously! It seems to improve responsiveness to typical usage, and apps start up much faster! I don't find any heating problems. It spends most if it's time idling at 125mhz.

I've also updated the wiki (CPU and Frequency Scaling) with this info and better how-to's.

Can you make a video comparison?

like if your friend has a pre, or someone you know?

That would be great...

You both press things at the same time, and we can see the difference.

Thanks in advance, even if you don't do it, thanks...
    Last edited by nimer55; 06/20/2009 at 04:45 PM.
    echo "500000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

This line needs to be put in the cpu-scaling file twice to get it to work it seems. Mines working now.
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Heres another resource that might be helpful

That smartreflex seems like it could really save some battery too, by changing the voltage on the fly.

edit: I wouldn't mess with that, seems to break the phone on reboot. Your method seems much more successful, though you might have to pass the 500000 command to the phone twice for it to work right, it didn't work on reboot when I tried that script.
    Unfortunately I tried this before I read the "edit"; maybe the edit wasn't even there when I tried it. Basically if this happens to you and your phone gets stuck on the Palm Logo screen and its not glowing than follow these steps. I learned the hard way and ended up almost going back to the store cause I thought the phone was bricked.

1. Remove the battery and USB cable if connected.
    2. Replace the battery
    3. Hold the volume button and than plug the phone into the USB cable but it MUST be being plugged into the AC Adapter. USB WILL NOT WORK!!!
    4. Now once the USB logo appears remove the USB cable from the AC Adapter.
    5. Start up the WebOS Doctor on your computer and follow all the steps and when you get to the page that says connect your device... than connect your device.
    6. Let the phone Re-OS itself and when it completes DON'T DO THIS AGAIN.

Hope I will save someone else the time and frustration.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    echo "500000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq

This line needs to be put in the cpu-scaling file twice to get it to work it seems. Mines working now.
    So how can you tell if it's working or if you need to add this line twice??
    ... I'm running a video right now, to see how it does, an episode of mythbusters, so its 43 minutes of torture. I also have something pretty incredible to report. I went from 48% charge to 96% while the phone was idling at 125mhz, in only 30 minutes.
    So your phone "got a charge" out of MythBusters! ;-) I like that show too!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    28 Global Posts
    Anyone know how I can get rid of this flickering. Its kind of annoying. I have the settings at 600 max and 30 min. Is there any better settings that get rid of the flickering.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    Also getting flickering; however its only in a side loaded video, streaming looks great! overall phone seems to respond much better.

ok streaming youtube seemed ok, SprintTV flickers also
    Last edited by slyder33; 06/20/2009 at 11:55 PM.
    Not sure why you had to put "echo "500000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq" twice in the script. I have tested the script on multiple reboots and it works fine. I am now going to try and set the max_freq to 600000 and see how that works out.

- Garrett
    Global Posts
    20 Global Posts
    I got that too when I was messing around with the power settings yesterday. It's a shame there aren't any other frequency steps the Pre can take between 250000 and 500000. When I set scaling_min_freq to 250000, video had less flicker. I'm guessing we get that flicker because the decoder hits an I-Frame and the CPU needs to spike up at that point but can't do it quickly enough before the framebuffer commits to the screen.

If you've ever watched top while a video is playing you see the cpu use is always a different number, sometimes up, sometimes down, but never at 100%.
    I tried setting the CPU scaling to ondemand, and the threshold level to 30, and noticed an hour or two later that the screen was blank while it was on the Touchstone, and my Pre was hotter than it's ever been. It seems that it definitely is set to 500mHz for a reason.
    Just posting my results on how cpu scaling is shaping up to be an AMAZING addition to the phone...

While on call, I monitored the CPU through wifi...

At the start of the call, 600hz - 60095 and 125hz - 74607
    At the end of the 1 minute call, 600hz - 61723 and 125hz - 78652

So, if my math serves me right, it spent 1628 @ 600hz and 4045 @ 125hz ... which, again, math serving, that means the average CPU usage while on call is about 315hz

Since stock runs at 500hz, this is about 37% lower usage than with scaling disabled...

So, in a dream world, if talk time and cpu frequency were directly related, 5 hours at 500hz would equal something like 6.85 hours at about 315hz?

Assuming I didn't butcher my math, we are talking BIG battery extension here.

Also I don't know what kind of control someone would have over the scaler (I'm a complete linux tardface, but I'm getting better with vi :P), could we make the scaling less aggressive? Perhaps if the scaling could speed up at the same pace, yet gradually decline, that would resolve the issues of apps like sprinttv/media player that are calling up/down frequency changes too quickly?

Youtube runs at a constant 600hz (which yeah, means technically youtube playback time gets worse with scaling), but it keeps the flicker from appearing

I ran similar tests for Pandora... while I didn't save the numbers, it looked like it was going to average out similar to phone calls, with a cpu speed closer to ~300hz than the stock 500hz.

I'm willing to bet tomorrow is going to be the first day my Pre actually makes it through a day

EDIT: Just read what jhoff80 said... I'll touchstone my phone over night, if I don't post tomorrow morning, just assume my house burned to the ground.
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    I should add that I had to remove the battery to reset the Pre as well. The power button and moving the switch a bunch of times, as well as the orange-sym-R, didn't work to reset it.

It was probably on the Touchstone for an hour or two, and I had probably 6 to 8 apps open in the background.
    Alright, i touchstoned my phone for what... 3 and a half hours? E-mail, Messenger, Web, and Memos open. Phone as cold as ever, all looked normal...

Here are my numbers after the few hours of sleep... not sure what they were before i zonked, but, i still like the way these look.

600000 320689
    550000 2065
    500000 1820
    250000 20401
    125000 1466645
    Last edited by FuManChuu; 06/21/2009 at 07:24 AM.
    Just waiting for the day my Pre has contacts grouping, and a "speed dial" for text messaging
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    I should add that I had to remove the battery to reset the Pre as well. The power button and moving the switch a bunch of times, as well as the orange-sym-R, didn't work to reset it.

It was probably on the Touchstone for an hour or two, and I had probably 6 to 8 apps open in the background.
    I woke up this morning and my phone wouldn't come back from sleep mode, and I had to pull the battery to get it to power up. It also only had 18% battery life. I'm wondering if this isn't related to the 1.0.3 update? My phone has never acted this way until after that.
    Had to remove the CPU-Scaling file.

Seems like after 1.0.3 it started to just die in a sleep mode. It only does it when there's app running. It did it to me twice during Pandora, after 10 mins of playing tho'.

1.0.3 supposedly improves the battery consumption. I'm thinking idling @ 125 mhz and the 1.0.3 tweak and have a process running altogether is not a friendly combination.
    Global Posts
    42 Global Posts
    I see that in the wiki they pulled the respawn line this morning, has anyone ran it without? is there any difference??
    Quote Originally Posted by slyder33 View Post
    I see that in the wiki they pulled the respawn line this morning, has anyone ran it without? is there any difference??
    I never used the respawn line and I had issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by lionsgraphics View Post
    Had to remove the CPU-Scaling file.

Seems like after 1.0.3 it started to just die in a sleep mode. It only does it when there's app running. It did it to me twice during Pandora, after 10 mins of playing tho'.

1.0.3 supposedly improves the battery consumption. I'm thinking idling @ 125 mhz and the 1.0.3 tweak and have a process running altogether is not a friendly combination.
    Thats odd that you're experiencing it when you're actually using the phone. I've only ever had it happen while it was in sleep mode, which I can live with.
    Thats odd that you're experiencing it when you're actually using the phone. I've only ever had it happen while it was in sleep mode, which I can live with.
    Well it was in sleep mode while pandora was running in the background...
    Dunno if that makes sense.
    oh man, I was so happy with the speed boosts and battery savings...

I also had to remove the CPU-scaling file.

I went black during a 15-20 minute phone call and never came back. Happened twice to me, had to pull the battery D;

I sure hope more research goes into this... there is so much promise in what can be gained.
Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123456712 ... LastLast