Page 19 of 22 FirstFirst ... 9141516171819202122 LastLast
    well smartreflex still isn't working on my pre... I've created the script with vi and vim and neither worked... they were both in /etc/event.d/ and I've still not gotten smartreflex to work. I'm in the IRC asking for help, but I don't see a solution yet.
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    i tried out smartflex too and it doesnt seem to do much other than maxclock to 600000. batt life is better with ondemand method but (for me) a little buggy
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Just FYI - I crashed after listening to an audiobook over a stereo bluetooth headset for about 20 minutes using these settings -

echo "600000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo "30" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

-mark
    diomark, I had the same issue with cpu frequency scaling (scaling_governor set to ondemand). SmartReflex is another option if you want to overclock.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seekis View Post
    i tried out smartflex too and it doesnt seem to do much other than maxclock to 600000. batt life is better with ondemand method but (for me) a little buggy
    SmartReflex supposedly adjusts the voltage of the CPU. So even though the frequency is fixed, power savings comes from scaling the voltage.

Battery life improves with both SmartReflex and Frequency Scaling, but as for now, it seems some people are having stability issues with Frequency Scaling. YMMV however.
    I think I may have a stable and effective solution to allow CPU frequency scaling. I am looking for volunteers to test my solution. A zip file with a binary and start script for the Pre is attached to this message.

On Linux, there have been historically two ways to do automatic CPU frequency scaling. One is to use an in-kernel governor like "ondemand" and another is to use a userspace application. Clearly, the ondemand governor is causing stability problems for many people and an alternative solution is needed.

Another problem is the issue of video artifacts when CPU scaling is active.

My solution is to use a carefully tuned CPU scaling userspace application and to tell it to only scale the CPU when the screen is off. The rationale is that when the screen is on you are actively using the Pre and probably want speed and responsiveness. When the screen is off the Pre is idle and you probably do not care if the Pre is clocked down to a slow speed. Also, because when the screen is on the Pre is not scaling, there are no video artifacts. When the Pre is idle it is clocked down to a slow speed and therefore should theoretically use less power and improve battery life.

This program should be safe and bug free. It does not do anything the CPU and chipset were not designed to do. The program has been in use in many Linux systems for several years and there has never been a report of any damage done to a CPU or system because of it. However, you use this at your own risk. You may only use the program if you agree that I, this forum, and all persons except yourself are not responsible for any problems you may have. Also, be aware that while the CPU and chipset in the Pre may be designed to run at up to 600MHz that does not mean that the thermal design characteristics of the Pre can handle more than the stock 500MHz speed. If you choose to run the Pre at 550MHz or 600MHz by modifying the program's startup script the risk is yours alone.

In order to use this you will need to have rooted your Pre.

To use:
    1. Remove any previous scaling or SmartFlex hacks.
    2. Unzip the attached zip file. The zip file contains two files: cpuspeed and cet-cpuspeed .
    3. Copy the cpuspeed file to your Pre and put it into the directory /opt/sbin . Make sure it is executable by executing the command
      chmod +x /opt/sbin/cpuspeed
    4. Copy the cet-cpuspeed file to your Pre and put in into the directory /etc/event.d .
    5. Reboot (restart) your phone and enjoy.

If you do not understand these directions please do not attempt to install this program at this time. Please wait for an easier to install version.

Please do not attempt to use this program with SmartFlex at this time. One thing at a time.

Please post back here with your results. Please post any battery life (or other) changes measured and your testing methodology.

When enough time has passed and I am satisfied that it works as properly and as safely as possible for the Palm Pre I will then update the wiki myself. Please do not add this to the wiki for me.

Thanks,
    Carl
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by clipcarl; 07/10/2009 at 07:41 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by clipcarl View Post
    I think I may have a stable and effective solution to allow CPU frequency scaling. I am looking for volunteers to test my solution. A zip file with a binary and start script for the Pre is attached to this message.....
    Are you the same carl that made cpuspeed? Just curious. I'm running it now to see how well it works and whether it there's any stability issues. I'll post back tomorrow probably to let you know how it's goin so far. I'm at work though so my battery's already at 52% right now.
    Last edited by johntash; 07/10/2009 at 09:15 PM. Reason: shortened quote message..
    Quote Originally Posted by johntash View Post
    Are you the same carl that made cpuspeed?
    Yes. Thank you for testing!
    I'll be trying out your method as well carl

I'll post in a bit once I've installed it and played some videos to make sure it doesn't get those artifacts/flickering.
    All of my observations were done while using a strong Wifi connectionand 5 bars. If audio was used, the volume was on max through the speaker.

Watched the latest episode of Diggnation went from 96% battery to 78%. The video didn't have any flickering at all! Played perfectly with no problems. The episode was 32 minutes and 17 seconds.

Idled with the screen on after a reboot for 10 minutes with no cards open and the battery went from 76% to 72%. I kept tapping the screen every 3 minutes to make sure it didn't turn off.

Idled with the screen off for 10 minutes with no cards open and the battery stayed at 72%.

If no one else does more tests, I'll have some more tomorrow. Audio + Screen, Audio without screen etc.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    I think I may have a stable and effective solution to allow CPU frequency scaling. I am looking for volunteers to test my solution. A zip file with a binary and start script for the Pre is attached to this message.
    Thanks I'll give this a shot. I've been using SmartFlex at 600mhz, however, after a 40min phone call today it killed my battery. naturally the screen was off, so running at a lower freq. probably would have saved me a bit.
    When the screen is off the Pre is idle and you probably do not care if the Pre is clocked down to a slow speed. Also, because when the screen is on the Pre is not scaling, there are no video artifacts. When the Pre is idle it is clocked down to a slow speed and therefore should theoretically use less power and improve battery life.
    The only possible flaw in this idea though is that I'm sure many of us often have Pandora or the Music app running with the screen off and the Pre in a pocket or something. I'll probably test it out tomorrow anyway, but that sounds like it might be an issue (especially with Pandora, which is slow at stock speed).

Still, I'm sure it's more stable than the other ones have been for me.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/10/2009 at 11:37 PM.
    testing as well... deleted smartflex file...
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    The only possible flaw in this idea though is that I'm sure many of us often have Pandora or the Music app running with the screen off and the Pre in a pocket or something. I'll probably test it out tomorrow anyway, but that sounds like it might be an issue (especially with Pandora, which is slow at stock speed).

Still, I'm sure it's more stable than the other ones have been for me.
    This should not be a problem as this program should scale the CPU as high as is needed for Pandora even with the screen off. If you have any playback issues let me know and I'll try to tweak things to make sure Pandora plays smoothly.
    wow, this is cool, I'm playing mp3s with the screen off and its at 125000

pandora goes between 250000 and 125000 with the screen off, using wifi.

I was going to check out the speeds with wifi off, until I realized that, umm, I'm in SSH using wifi, lol.

I was able to play and seek around a 500MB MP4 movie, without problems. near full res (full 480 width)

quick question, is it an ok idea to delete the time_in_state file in order to "bookmark" the findings of our different usage periods?
    Last edited by hmagoo; 07/11/2009 at 02:09 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by hmagoo View Post
    quick question, is it an ok idea to delete the time_in_state file in order to "bookmark" the findings of our different usage periods?
    The "time_in_state" file is not a real file on disk; it is in the "/sys" directory which is a virtual (not real) filesystem generated by the Linux kernel to give you information about itself and to allow you to control its features. Consequently, the files there cannot be deleted but you can copy them.
    Please move discussion about the CPUSpeed frequency scaling program to this page.

Thanks!

On Linux, there have been historically two ways to do automatic CPU frequency scaling. One is to use an in-kernel governor like "ondemand" and another is to use a userspace application. Clearly, the ondemand governor is causing stability problems for many people and an alternative solution is needed.

Another problem is the issue of video artifacts when CPU scaling is active.

My solution is to use a carefully tuned CPU scaling userspace application and to tell it to only scale the CPU when the screen is off. The rationale is that when the screen is on you are actively using the Pre and probably want speed and responsiveness. When the screen is off the Pre is idle and you probably do not care if the Pre is clocked down to a slow speed. Also, because when the screen is on the Pre is not scaling, there are no video artifacts. When the Pre is idle it is clocked down to a slow speed and therefore should theoretically use less power and improve battery life.

This program should be safe and bug free. It does not do anything the CPU and chipset were not designed to do. The program has been in use in many Linux systems for several years and there has never been a report of any damage done to a CPU or system because of it. However, you use this at your own risk. You may only use the program if you agree that I, this forum, and all persons except yourself are not responsible for any problems you may have. Also, be aware that while the CPU and chipset in the Pre may be designed to run at up to 600MHz that does not mean that the thermal design characteristics of the Pre can handle more than the stock 500MHz speed. If you choose to run the Pre at 550MHz or 600MHz by modifying the program's startup script the risk is yours alone.

In order to use this you will need to have rooted your Pre.

To use:
    1. Remove any previous scaling or SmartFlex hacks.
    2. Unzip the attached zip file. The zip file contains two files: cpuspeed and cet-cpuspeed .
    3. Copy the cpuspeed file to your Pre and put it into the directory /opt/sbin . Make sure it is executable by executing the command
      chmod +x /opt/sbin/cpuspeed
    4. Copy the cet-cpuspeed file to your Pre and put in into the directory /etc/event.d .
    5. Reboot (restart) your phone and enjoy.

If you do not understand these directions please do not attempt to install this program at this time. Please wait for an easier to install version.

Please do not attempt to use this program with SmartFlex at this time. One thing at a time.

Please post back here with your results. Please post any battery life (or other) changes measured and your testing methodology.

When enough time has passed and I am satisfied that it works as properly and as safely as possible for the Palm Pre I will then update the wiki myself. Please do not add this to the wiki for me.

Thanks,
    Carl
    Worked great... but I'm still having a localized problem. When I do anything with scaling, I lose EV and dont have data unless its wifi. No EV icon and no ota data transmission. When I deleted your scripts and put in the smartflex one, my EV works again on reboot. Dunno whats up with that!
    So im a newb with linux and obviously cant get this to work on reboot. I have tried both the wiki methods of scaling, and smart reflex. I make a file with the command (as root) vi /etc/event.d/overclock

Then I insert the text with a copy-past command and save the file with escape then :wq.

I reboot and the file obviously doesn't run, my time in state always stays the same as it did before... I can manually change the frequency max with the echo .... max_Freq command, but it wont stick on reboot. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    Worked great... but I'm still having a localized problem. When I do anything with scaling, I lose EV and dont have data unless its wifi. No EV icon and no ota data transmission. When I deleted your scripts and put in the smartflex one, my EV works again on reboot. Dunno whats up with that!
    How do you know you don't have EV? My program only enables scaling when the screen is off so how can you tell that the EV icon isn't there?
    Quote Originally Posted by gtkansan View Post
    So im a newb with linux and obviously cant get this to work on reboot. I have tried both the wiki methods of scaling, and smart reflex. I make a file with the command (as root) vi /etc/event.d/overclock

Then I insert the text with a copy-past command and save the file with escape then :wq.

I reboot and the file obviously doesn't run, my time in state always stays the same as it did before... I can manually change the frequency max with the echo .... max_Freq command, but it wont stick on reboot. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you
    What are you putting in the /etc/event.d/overclock file?