Page 18 of 22 FirstFirst ... 813141516171819202122 LastLast
Results 341 to 360 of 433
  1. #341  
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    type this is in: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state

    If ur running on 600 than you will see numbers next to "600000"
    Just to correct -- this will only tell you if you are overclocked to 600MHz. It has nothing to do with SmartReflex mode, which is different. You can run SmartReflex at any speed -- the idea is to try to run it at the maximum stable speed your chip will allow.
  2. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #342  
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderCup View Post
    @wprater

    why would setting the CPU frequency at 500 be a problem for the RAM when the stock frequency is 500? do you mean 600?

    Yes, I meant to say above.. anyone know about this?
  3. as4life's Avatar
    Posts
    577 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    #343  
    Quote Originally Posted by eesucks View Post
    I've been running for about a day now with SmartReflex set to 550MHz (600MHz crashed for me).

    Observations:
    * Battery life is extremely good. 10% drop in about 5 hours. After a 20min phone call, another 3% drop.
    * Performance is much better. Applications load faster and the gui is snappier with less stuttering.
    * Phone does not get as hot during YouTube videos. In stock mode, the phone would get noticeably warm when watching YouTube, which is to be expected. With SmartReflex, the phone runs much cooler when watching the same videos.
    * No crashes (at 550Mhz).
    * Camera operated normally, but I did not have it open for a very long time.
    * No flickering or artifacts when running different applications.

    For me, SmartReflex at 550Mhz seems to be a keeper. If you can get 600Mhz, more power to you. If you just want better battery life, SmartReflex + 500Mhz should do the trick.
    So running smartreflex + 500mhz is better than running at 600mhz if you want to save battery life?
  4. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #344  
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderCup View Post
    I can't seem to get SmartReflex to work... initially after rebooting after putting the script in the /etc/event.d directory, I ran the cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state command and got only 1 beside 600 with the majority next to 500... then after another reboot, it doesn't even have a 1, it remains at 0 next to 600

    When creating the script, do you just paste the code into a blank notepad screen and then save it without a file extension? ie. smartflex.
    Look for a line beginning with a "?". You probably need to add a hash (#) in front of that if your copy/paste wrapped lines.
  5. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #345  
    Quote Originally Posted by nimer55 View Post
    Just make sure the ram's ratio to the processor isn't locked, or that would cause problems. You need to bring the ratio, or the speed of the ram up as you bring the cpu's...

    If you leave both the same, then it can cause issues. Unless it's set to auto.
    Does anyone know if the ram's ratio to the processor is locked?
  6. #346  
    I'm still having problems... when I manually try to run the script, I get this:

    Code:
    root@castle:/etc/event.d# ./overclock.txt
    ./overclock.txt: line 2: description: not found
    ./overclock.txt: line 3: author: not found
    ./overclock.txt: line 4: version: not found
    : not found.txt: line 5:
    start: (00420/967995605) Unknown job: on
    start: (00420/969155273) Unknown job: stopped
    start: (00420/969918212) Unknown job: finish
    stop: (00420/983834228) Unknown job: on
    stop: (00420/985054931) Unknown job: runlevel
    stop: (00420/985817870) Unknown job: [!2]
    : not found.txt: line 8:
    ./overclock.txt: line 9: console: not found
    : not found.txt: line 10:
    : not found.txt: line 11: script
    : not found.txt: line 12:
    : nonexistent directory9: cannot create /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp
    : nonexistent directory0: cannot create /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp
    : not found.txt: line 21:
    ./overclock.txt: line 24: cannot create /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/sca: nonexistent directory
    ./overclock.txt: line 25: cannot create /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/sca: nonexistent directory
    : not found.txt: line 26:
    ./overclock.txt: line 27: end: not found
  7. #347  
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderCup View Post
    I'm still having problems... when I manually try to run the script, I get this:

    Code:
    root@castle:/etc/event.d# ./overclock.txt
    ./overclock.txt: line 2: description: not found
    ./overclock.txt: line 3: author: not found
    ./overclock.txt: line 4: version: not found
    : not found.txt: line 5:
    start: (00420/967995605) Unknown job: on
    start: (00420/969155273) Unknown job: stopped
    start: (00420/969918212) Unknown job: finish
    stop: (00420/983834228) Unknown job: on
    stop: (00420/985054931) Unknown job: runlevel
    stop: (00420/985817870) Unknown job: [!2]
    : not found.txt: line 8:
    ./overclock.txt: line 9: console: not found
    : not found.txt: line 10:
    : not found.txt: line 11: script
    : not found.txt: line 12:
    : nonexistent directory9: cannot create /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp
    : nonexistent directory0: cannot create /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp
    : not found.txt: line 21:
    ./overclock.txt: line 24: cannot create /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/sca: nonexistent directory
    ./overclock.txt: line 25: cannot create /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/sca: nonexistent directory
    : not found.txt: line 26:
    ./overclock.txt: line 27: end: not found
    You can't just execute that file. It's not a shell script. Only the portion between the script/end script lines is actually executable. Also, you have to run it as root. You're supposed to put the opt-overclock file in /etc/event.d and then reboot.

    One more thing: always avoid editing files with Windows editors. Windows and Unix/Linux have different text file formats, and sometimes the way windows terminates lines (CRLF) can screw up Unix software. Make sure you're using a Unix editor like nano or vim.
  8. #348  
    Quote Originally Posted by wprater View Post
    Does anyone know if the ram's ratio to the processor is locked?
    The RAM data bus and the CPU (and other peripherals) don't always have to be on the same clock edge. Usually in an embedded processor the memory will have a some preset or definable number of wait states which are basically the maximum number of cycles the CPU is allowed to wait before valid data appears on the bus.

    In other words, there's nothing strange about running the processor at different speeds without having to reclock the RAM as well. If you're having trouble running at a higher speed, it simply means that your silicon isn't hot enough (not enough electrons, so to speak) or there is some other physical/electrical limitation (setup time, hold time etc.) that is being violated. It's a luck thing. Just move down to a lower speed and try again. It has nothing to do with the RAM.
  9. #349  
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    One more thing: always avoid editing files with Windows editors. Windows and Unix/Linux have different text file formats, and sometimes the way windows terminates lines (CRLF) can screw up Unix software. Make sure you're using a Unix editor like nano or vim.
    That must be my problem, I'm installing vim now and will try making the script with that!
  10. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #350  
    My stock 1.04 phone's /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq was already set to 600000 - did palm change this?
    -m
  11. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #351  
    Just FYI - I crashed after listening to an audiobook over a stereo bluetooth headset for about 20 minutes using these settings -

    echo "600000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo "30" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

    -mark
  12. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #352  
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanharig View Post
    If not, a reliable simple scaling app could make good money.
    This is at the kernel level. If we can get the current method working properly, it'd be better then any program could do.
    -m
  13. #353  
    Quote Originally Posted by diomark View Post
    Just FYI - I crashed after listening to an audiobook over a stereo bluetooth headset for about 20 minutes using these settings -

    echo "600000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
    echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    echo "30" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold

    -mark
    Same symptoms many of us have experienced -- ondemand doesn't seem to be very stable especially when lots of media playback is involved. It's not actually a crash (that would imply a software breakdown, and the OS is actually very solid) -- it's a hardware lockup.
  14. #354  
    Hey everyone. I first want to say awesome work so far.

    I am trying to enable SmartReflex on my Pre via the script given on noinc. Kind of a newb question here, but how do I move the script into the file that it needs to be in? I can't just save it to my Windows machine and move it to the Pre?

    Do I have to create it on the Pre itself in say, the tmp file and then move it? How would I do this?

    Thanks in advance and long live the Pre.
  15. diomark's Avatar
    Posts
    752 Posts
    Global Posts
    770 Global Posts
    #355  
    You'll want to use an editor such as vi on the pre.

    (google 'vi cheatsheet')
    -mark
    Quote Originally Posted by christophercomp View Post
    Hey everyone. I first want to say awesome work so far.

    I am trying to enable SmartReflex on my Pre via the script given on noinc. Kind of a newb question here, but how do I move the script into the file that it needs to be in? I can't just save it to my Windows machine and move it to the Pre?

    Do I have to create it on the Pre itself in say, the tmp file and then move it? How would I do this?

    Thanks in advance and long live the Pre.
  16. #356  
    hey thanks alot.

    I did that and for some reason the file saved as read only. I can't chmod it and it just stays read only. The file isn't working so I need to edit it and I can't...

    lol.

    Thanks.
  17. wprater's Avatar
    Posts
    240 Posts
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    #357  
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    The RAM data bus and the CPU (and other peripherals) don't always have to be on the same clock edge. Usually in an embedded processor the memory will have a some preset or definable number of wait states which are basically the maximum number of cycles the CPU is allowed to wait before valid data appears on the bus.

    In other words, there's nothing strange about running the processor at different speeds without having to reclock the RAM as well. If you're having trouble running at a higher speed, it simply means that your silicon isn't hot enough (not enough electrons, so to speak) or there is some other physical/electrical limitation (setup time, hold time etc.) that is being violated. It's a luck thing. Just move down to a lower speed and try again. It has nothing to do with the RAM.
    Thanks for this information!
  18. #358  
    I just started smartreflex on my Pre, but I used 500000 instead of 600000 because I'm a wimp. After restarting, I did cat /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp and vdd2, and they both returned 1. Great!

    Now, just for the heck of it, I checked the time_in_state, and here's what I got:
    600000 0
    550000 783
    500000 189757
    250000 0
    125000 0

    So it would seem that smartreflex already allows some degree of overclocking, or perhaps it ignores the max scaling frequencies or something. I don't know. Perhaps it's because I never enabled ondemand?

    I'll report back later with any issues, if they exist.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  19. #359  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I just started smartreflex on my Pre, but I used 500000 instead of 600000 because I'm a wimp. After restarting, I did cat /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp and vdd2, and they both returned 1. Great!

    Now, just for the heck of it, I checked the time_in_state, and here's what I got:
    600000 0
    550000 783
    500000 189757
    250000 0
    125000 0

    So it would seem that smartreflex already allows some degree of overclocking, or perhaps it ignores the max scaling frequencies or something. I don't know. Perhaps it's because I never enabled ondemand?

    I'll report back later with any issues, if they exist.
    Even when I'm set to stock I seem to get something right around "550000 783". My guess is that during boot it uses the faster frequency.
  20. #360  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Even when I'm set to stock I seem to get something right around "550000 783". My guess is that during boot it uses the faster frequency.
    Interesting--I wonder what would happen if the last two lines of the script were removed and just smartreflex were enabled? I suppose I may need to delete those files if they were created when the script ran the first time. To further support your claim, I ran a video, and afterward 550 stayed at 783.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer

Posting Permissions