Page 17 of 22 FirstFirst ... 71213141516171819202122 LastLast
    whats weird with smartflex on, it seems as if it never has a scaling_min or whatever....

It used to idle at 125, now mine is never there, same with 250... its constantly at 500.... i mean if it saves power... fantastic.... just doesn't make sense to me...

Smartflex on with 500... we'll see...
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    whats weird with smartflex on, it seems as if it never has a scaling_min or whatever....

It used to idle at 125, now mine is never there, same with 250... its constantly at 500.... i mean if it saves power... fantastic.... just doesn't make sense to me...

Smartflex on with 500... we'll see...
    That's the point, you are not using CPU scaling, only the SmarFlex technology to regulate the voltages..
    I wonder if we'll see implementation of this by palm in future updates..
    If not, a reliable simple scaling app could make good money.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    Do you happen to get the same thing with your camera app open, just open it up and keep moving your pre around the room, mine will freeze up within 2 minutes... stay frozen for 5-10 seconds, then unfreeze...

Its enough for me to not like smartflex until everythings worked out...
    I get this happening. Probably a bug in the Camera app more than anything else. Doesn't bug me, I don't spend that much time in it.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Would be nice if we could see some empirical battery life and/or performance testing with variations of scaling and smartreflex at 500/550/600 MHz.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I've been running for about a day now with SmartReflex set to 550MHz (600MHz crashed for me).

Observations:
    * Battery life is extremely good. 10% drop in about 5 hours. After a 20min phone call, another 3% drop.
    * Performance is much better. Applications load faster and the gui is snappier with less stuttering.
    * Phone does not get as hot during YouTube videos. In stock mode, the phone would get noticeably warm when watching YouTube, which is to be expected. With SmartReflex, the phone runs much cooler when watching the same videos.
    * No crashes (at 550Mhz).
    * Camera operated normally, but I did not have it open for a very long time.
    * No flickering or artifacts when running different applications.

For me, SmartReflex at 550Mhz seems to be a keeper. If you can get 600Mhz, more power to you. If you just want better battery life, SmartReflex + 500Mhz should do the trick.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tcbeutler View Post
    Would be nice if we could see some empirical battery life and/or performance testing with variations of scaling and smartreflex at 500/550/600 MHz.
    This would be nice to have. Are there any battery benchmarks that have been ported to this platform? I know that there are battery benchmarks out there that are intended to test smartphone battery life.

Battery performance is very subjective and is subjected to a lot of noise. Not many of us will have the patience to sit down with our phones and run the same list of applications waiting for the battery to run down. A benchmarking tool would be very useful.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by eesucks View Post
    I've been running for about a day now with SmartReflex set to 550MHz (600MHz crashed for me).

Observations:
    * Battery life is extremely good. 10% drop in about 5 hours. After a 20min phone call, another 3% drop.
    How much stuff are you running in the background? (mainly email push, and sync, etc). With about 6 email accounts running (5 of which update every hour, one is EAS) I'll get about 3% drop per hour. So about 10% in 4 hours. I did do some SMS and web browsing though (light). Still, not bad at all.

Weird enough, I switched to 550mhz, camera is fine. Then switched back to 600mhz, and camera is still fine.... weird.
    Global Posts
    251 Global Posts
    So has anyone confirmed that setting the cpu frequency above 500 is ok for the RAM?
    Last edited by wprater; 07/09/2009 at 11:44 AM.
    I can't seem to get SmartReflex to work... initially after rebooting after putting the script in the /etc/event.d directory, I ran the cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state command and got only 1 beside 600 with the majority next to 500... then after another reboot, it doesn't even have a 1, it remains at 0 next to 600

When creating the script, do you just paste the code into a blank notepad screen and then save it without a file extension? ie. smartflex.

edit:

@wprater

why would setting the CPU frequency at 500 be a problem for the RAM when the stock frequency is 500? do you mean 600?
    Last edited by CommanderCup; 07/08/2009 at 06:32 PM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CommanderCup View Post
    I can't seem to get SmartReflex to work... initially after rebooting after putting the script in the /etc/event.d directory, I ran the cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state command and got only 1 beside 600 with the majority next to 500... then after another reboot, it doesn't even have a 1, it remains at 0 next to 600

When creating the script, do you just paste the code into a blank notepad screen and then save it without a file extension? ie. smartflex.
    What do you get when you run the following?
    sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

And:

sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

If neither of those return 600000, then your script isn't setting the frequency. Doesn't matter what the extension is on the script, everything in /etc/event.d/ gets processed during boot time.
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    What do you get when you run the following?
    sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq

And:

sudo cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed

If neither of those return 600000, then your script isn't setting the frequency. Doesn't matter what the extension is on the script, everything in /etc/event.d/ gets processed during boot time.
    I get 500000 for both... why isn't the script working? Is the script on the wiki correct? Do I have to change the permissions on the file with CHMOD or something?
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I get 500000 for both... why isn't the script working? Is the script on the wiki correct? Do I have to change the permissions on the file with CHMOD or something?
    I had the same problem with copying and pasting the script. What I ended up doing was creating the file and typing it all in there. It stuck then.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts

edit:

@wprater

why would setting the CPU frequency at 500 be a problem for the RAM when the stock frequency is 500? do you mean 600?
    Here are things to check:
    Make sure the file system is writable
    Did the event.d script remain after reboot?

All you need to do is create the file without an extension, just like you said. Should have worked for you from what you wrote.
    Last edited by eesucks; 07/09/2009 at 02:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    How much stuff are you running in the background? (mainly email push, and sync, etc). With about 6 email accounts running (5 of which update every hour, one is EAS) I'll get about 3% drop per hour. So about 10% in 4 hours. I did do some SMS and web browsing though (light). Still, not bad at all.

Weird enough, I switched to 550mhz, camera is fine. Then switched back to 600mhz, and camera is still fine.... weird.
    I only have two emails running in the background set to manual. One is POP and the other is IMAP. I also have my WiFi on and BT connected to my headset as well. Screen brightness is set to almost the lowest, which could be helping battery life.

Observations:
    * Performance is much better. Applications load faster and the gui is snappier with less stuttering.
    * Phone does not get as hot during YouTube videos. In stock mode, the phone would get noticeably warm when watching YouTube, which is to be expected. With SmartReflex, the phone runs much cooler when watching the same videos.
    * No crashes (at 550Mhz).

For me, SmartReflex at 550Mhz seems to be a keeper. If you can get 600Mhz, more power to you. If you just want better battery life, SmartReflex + 500Mhz should do the trick.
    Pretty respectable, I may need to test this out...
    Anyway to verify if SmartFlex is enabled?
    Developer of:

-------------------------------------
    Discuss my apps in my developer forum
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    type this is in: cat /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats/time_in_state

If ur running on 600 than you will see numbers next to "600000"
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev1000000 View Post
    The autocomp registers are the ones that enable/disable SR.
    $ cat /sys/power/sr_vdd1_autocomp
    $ cat /sys/power/sr_vdd2_autocomp

If you don't see 1, you don't have SmartReflex enabled.