Page 15 of 22 FirstFirst ... 51011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
Results 281 to 300 of 433
  1. DNic's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    #281  
    Smartflex gone through a lot of testing yet? I thought i saw in predev wiki not to use this.
  2. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #282  
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    Smartflex gone through a lot of testing yet? I thought i saw in predev wiki not to use this.
    Don't use it with on-demand scaling. It's fine with userspace scaling. Been running it since I got my pre yesterday and mine's fine.
  3. #283  
    Thanks bud
  4. #284  
    I'm not sure if it'll make a difference or not, but the 2nd setting(the sr_vdd2_autocomp) can be set with ondemand scaling... its just the first one that crashes the phone... I just tried this, but I have no idea how to tell if its having an effect on anything or not... I haven't made it stick, but I figure I'll give it a shot, just in case.

    edit: didn't help with stability, but I'm going to see if it does anything for battery life.
    Last edited by Elysian893; 07/07/2009 at 02:12 PM.
  5. eesucks's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #285  
    I just tried SmartReflex (governor set to userspace) and my phone crashed very quickly. I was checking the time_in_state file and it seemed to be constantly running at 600MHz for some reason. Hopefully I'll be able to recover.
  6. #286  
    Quote Originally Posted by eesucks View Post
    I just tried SmartReflex (governor set to userspace) and my phone crashed very quickly. I was checking the time_in_state file and it seemed to be constantly running at 600MHz for some reason. Hopefully I'll be able to recover.
    Thats what userspace does, its not scaling at all, it just sets the speed at 600, and thats that.
  7. #287  
    Bah, my USB port isn't working now, its going to charge only mode...

    edit: fixed, just had to reboot the pc.
    Last edited by Elysian893; 07/07/2009 at 02:30 PM.
  8. eesucks's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #288  
    Thanks for the info Elysian.

    The white paper from TI states that SmartReflex does frequency scaling also. I guess not. This was a tricky one to recover from since the phone crashed quickly upon reboot. I had to ssh into the device and erase the script in the event.d folder. Almost thought I needed to do a hard reset.

    Anyone want to share their experience with SmartReflex?
  9. eesucks's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #289  
    Ok, trying out SmartReflex again, this time at 550MHz. We'll see how stable this is and also compare battery life.

    When I was running cpu frequency scaling on-demand at 550Mhz, the Pre had better battery life and the performance was good. It was just the flickering and artifacting that was annoying. So I'm hoping this setting will work.
  10. eesucks's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #290  
    So far no flickering. The videos run smoothly which is good. The phone is running a bit hot though.

    We'll see how this affects battery life.
  11. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #291  
    I'm surprised you're locking up... I'm running 600mhz with smartflex for almost 24 hours now with no issues... Will keep tabs on it though.
  12. eesucks's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #292  
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    I'm surprised you're locking up... I'm running 600mhz with smartflex for almost 24 hours now with no issues... Will keep tabs on it though.
    It could just be that my CPU is not as tolerant as the one you have - luck of the draw I guess.

    How's your battery life been?
  13. #293  
    In my opinion, people also should post whether they have a Touchstone or not when they're talking about results. I was having decent results with SmartReflex myself until I put it on the Touchstone and got an immediate lockup.
  14. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #294  
    Quote Originally Posted by eesucks View Post
    It could just be that my CPU is not as tolerant as the one you have - luck of the draw I guess.

    How's your battery life been?
    Down to 73% right now. It's been off the charger since 9:30. So currently losing say 25% for every 4 1/2 hours. More than enough to last the whole day even if I use it the way I have been (fairly well... downloaded several image attachments from email, viewed, and forwarded via MMS. Sent quite a few SMS to the fiancee. About 20 minutes web browsing. Spent about 7 minutes on the phone. Viewed a bit of a video clip. Mind you this is in my office building which has terribad signal strength (1-3 bars variance, sometimes 4 bars, I wonder how much time the Pre spends hunting for signal? I wish we could adjust this polling...).

    Not bad for being set to 600mhz, imo.

    600000 720738
    550000 757
    500000 168
    250000 0
    125000 0

    Phone is nice and cool even under moderate use.

    I don't think the battery consumption is bad for a device as powerful as it is. My iPhone 3G would be down to about 70-80% by the time I got home under this kind of use, and AT&T has better reception in my office building.

    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    In my opinion, people also should post whether they have a Touchstone or not when they're talking about results. I was having decent results with SmartReflex myself until I put it on the Touchstone and got an immediate lockup.
    I have a touchstone... spent all night on it with no problem. Powered via USB with no problem as well.
  15. #295  
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    In my opinion, people also should post whether they have a Touchstone or not when they're talking about results. I was having decent results with SmartReflex myself until I put it on the Touchstone and got an immediate lockup.
    I have a Touchstone. I simultaneously stream Pandora, do GPS, and place/receive calls in the car. With on demand the phone used to lock up frequently, since I switched to SmartReflex it has been extremely stable -- not a single lockup. I would definitely recommend switching to a lower frequency if you're having issues with 600MHz -- given that the devices were tested for 500MHz your mileage may vary with overclocked speeds (as a microcontroller test engineer myself, I'm very familiar with this). It's most likely the issue isn't with the SmartReflex, but just your silicon running into physical/electrical constraints at that clock speed. It's a matter of luck too -- there are "hot" lots that can run faster and "cold" lots, but two units sitting next to each other in the lot could easily have very different speed limits. I'm sure there is some margin imposed at the test point but it's probably not all the way up to 600MHz as far as I can tell, so if you can't get the device stable at 600 you're just unlucky.

    Battery life is awesome. I got out of the car fully charged about 2 1/2 hours ago. Have made about 3 or 4 phone calls since, checked email randomly (have push email on two accounts), and here I am at 90%.
  16. eesucks's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #296  
    Since switching to SmartReflex here are my stats:
    600000 0
    550000 267266
    500000 190
    250000 0
    125000 0

    (600MHz would lock up soon after re-boot for me)

    Since I ssh using USB, my battery testing for today cannot be compared to other days. So far, I've installed new system sounds, browsed a few pages of internet, and played a YouTube video without any incidents.

    I don't have a Touchstone, so I can't be of any help there.

    Regarding heat, the phone seems to heat up more when charging. But I don't have an IR gun to measure the real heat to scientifically prove this. Phone cools back down after unplugging.

    Performance at 550Mhz is much better than 500MHz IMO. The contacts scrolling is much smoother and the calendar loads up faster as well. I can scroll through my entire contacts list and only encounter 1 - 2 stutters where as at 500MHz, it would frequently "hit" the bottom of the list even if there were still more contacts to go.
  17. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #297  
    Quote Originally Posted by eesucks View Post
    Since switching to SmartReflex here are my stats:
    600000 0
    550000 267266
    500000 190
    250000 0
    125000 0

    (600MHz would lock up soon after re-boot for me)
    Your pre seems to be protesting against you... Even my 1st bottom of the barrel Pre could handle 600mhz (and this thing sucked... it had the Oreo effect, shutdown when closing the slider quickly, random shutdowns while sleeping, and the screen had artifacts that looked like someone had pushed it too hard when you viewed it through a set of polarized sun glasses).

    Quote Originally Posted by eesucks View Post
    Regarding heat, the phone seems to heat up more when charging. But I don't have an IR gun to measure the real heat to scientifically prove this. Phone cools back down after unplugging.
    Heating up while charging is not unusual. It's mainly the battery heating up from the rapid charging. My 1st pre got quite hot when charging. This new pre seems to be doing much better... just barely warm when charging. (USB or Touchstone).

    Quote Originally Posted by eesucks View Post
    Performance at 550Mhz is much better than 500MHz IMO. The contacts scrolling is much smoother and the calendar loads up faster as well. I can scroll through my entire contacts list and only encounter 1 - 2 stutters where as at 500MHz, it would frequently "hit" the bottom of the list even if there were still more contacts to go.
    I don't think the 50mhz bump itself is what's causing such massive improvements... there's gotta be a correlation between the speed bump and cpu<->memory timing at those speeds.
  18. DNic's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    #298  
    So I did the smartflex, but it shows it never hits 600, 550 is the highest it goes. Did I miss something?
  19. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #299  
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    So I did the smartflex, but it shows it never hits 600, 550 is the highest it goes. Did I miss something?
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed


    ?
  20. DNic's Avatar
    Posts
    570 Posts
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    #300  
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    echo 600000 > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_setspeed


    ?
    I put in exactly what he had in his script @ how to overclock your palm pre and enable the TI OMAP3430 SmartReflex mode- no|inc Blog

Posting Permissions