Page 14 of 22 FirstFirst ... 4910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
Results 261 to 280 of 433
  1. #261  
    I haven't had issues with artifacting or flickering running at 500mHz with scaling either.

    600000 0
    550000 786
    500000 3093538
    250000 1081790
    125000 489860

    Edit: It ended up crashing about 16 hours later when the Pre had 0 cards open. Oh well, so much for that.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/06/2009 at 03:27 PM.
  2. #262  
    Working Script. From my testing, this works the best with minimal flicker and best performance. So far.
    Code:
    # Enables cpu scaling
    
    start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]
    
    console none
    
    respawn
    
    script
        echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
        echo "550000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
        echo "250000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_min_freq
        echo "30" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/up_threshold
    
    end script
    Research this code. I think it's the trouble making, When I tweaked this, It seemed to reduce flicking.

    Code:
    #./echo "200000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/Sampling_rate
    #./echo "100000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/Sampling_rate_min
    #./echo "100000000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/ondemand/Sampling_rate_max
    These are the default valves too. You can see where there could be trouble with such a large gap.
  3. #263  
    Consolidated Palm Pre CPU Scaling steps (on a MAC)

    First, let me say, I am not a programmer. Just a nominally technical person who is following the instructions of others. There have been several variations on the same theme, and I have been trying to piece together which one seems to be the simplest and most concise. So far, this is what I have...

    Step 1: Download the Webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.zip file. Open it up, go to resources, click novacom installer and install web OS drivers on your system

    Step 2: Rooting the phone

    From the main phone desktop, with no apps open, type:

    upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

    This will ope the Developer Mode Enabler. Click the app, flip the switch from off to on, and hit restart.

    With the phone attached via USB, I type:

    cd /post/nova/bin (ENTER)

    ./novaterm (ENTER)

    This will put you at a prompt marked "root@castle:/#"

    Step 3: Enabling CPU-Scaling

    After you've rooted your phone, type:

    cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq

    echo ondemand > ./scaling_governor

    Then take this file:

    www.elysian-online.com

    Right click and save as. Make sure it saves with no extension, no .txt's, nothing. Make sure its called cpu-scaling

    and put it onto your Pre via USB. It'll be in /media/internal if you just drop it in the main directory when in USB Drive mode. After that, login to root via telnet again, and type:

    cp /media/internal/cpu-scaling/etc/event.d

    That should get it working. To test if it works, you can go to the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats directory, and type:

    more time_in_state

    then press up and hit enter and you can see it changes some values all the time. If you watch, while the phone is idle you'll see it spends more time in 125000 than any other speed.

    NOW, this works fine, but will NOT stick upon reboot, so if reset your phone, you have to do everything except drop the script into your Pre's main directory again.

    Does anyone have a simple string of commands that will make this stick upon reset? How about something that won't interfere with future software updates (I used dropbear and my phone hosed upon loading l.0.4)?
  4. ken0311's Avatar
    Posts
    41 Posts
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    #264  
    Someone should write a benchmarking tool. I've been through 4 pres and each one seemed to be different in regards to speed (and defects). The easiest way for to notice this was the gesture launch bar. They went from choppy to smooth.
  5. #265  
    It would also be great if someone could write an actual cpu-scaler program that could be installed and activated, just like the over clocking software of yore.
  6. #266  
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    Consolidated Palm Pre CPU Scaling steps (on a MAC)

    First, let me say, I am not a programmer. Just a nominally technical person who is following the instructions of others. There have been several variations on the same theme, and I have been trying to piece together which one seems to be the simplest and most concise. So far, this is what I have...

    Step 1: Download the Webosdoctorp100ewwsprint.zip file. Open it up, go to resources, click novacom installer and install web OS drivers on your system

    Step 2: Rooting the phone

    From the main phone desktop, with no apps open, type:

    upupdowndownleftrightleftrightbastart

    This will ope the Developer Mode Enabler. Click the app, flip the switch from off to on, and hit restart.

    With the phone attached via USB, I type:

    cd /post/nova/bin (ENTER)

    ./novaterm (ENTER)

    This will put you at a prompt marked "root@castle:/#"

    Step 3: Enabling CPU-Scaling

    After you've rooted your phone, type:

    cd /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq

    echo ondemand > ./scaling_governor

    Then take this file:

    www.elysian-online.com

    Right click and save as. Make sure it saves with no extension, no .txt's, nothing. Make sure its called cpu-scaling

    and put it onto your Pre via USB. It'll be in /media/internal if you just drop it in the main directory when in USB Drive mode. After that, login to root via telnet again, and type:

    cp /media/internal/cpu-scaling/etc/event.d

    That should get it working. To test if it works, you can go to the /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/stats directory, and type:

    more time_in_state

    then press up and hit enter and you can see it changes some values all the time. If you watch, while the phone is idle you'll see it spends more time in 125000 than any other speed.

    NOW, this works fine, but will NOT stick upon reboot, so if reset your phone, you have to do everything except drop the script into your Pre's main directory again.

    Does anyone have a simple string of commands that will make this stick upon reset? How about something that won't interfere with future software updates (I used dropbear and my phone hosed upon loading l.0.4)?
    Gonna have to make the cpu-scaling file and find a place to host it, I finally cancelled my server, since I was only using it for image hosting and photobucket is free.
  7. #267  
    Went back to 600MHz fixed with SmartReflex (Vdd auto-compensation). My Pre is suddenly a lot more enjoyable, and battery life actually seems better.
  8. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #268  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Gonna have to make the cpu-scaling file and find a place to host it, I finally cancelled my server, since I was only using it for image hosting and photobucket is free.

    I can host anything you need hosted. I'm on pre #2 now, first one had the oreo effect and reset on slider open/close. Talk about **** luck on draw #1.
  9. #269  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Gonna have to make the cpu-scaling file and find a place to host it, I finally cancelled my server, since I was only using it for image hosting and photobucket is free.
    Sorry, I hope it wasn't too presumptuous of me to post. There were just so many bits and pieces that it was easier to have it mostly in one place.

    So... IS there a simple command string, just like the others were fairly simple, that makes this stick on reboot? It worked (stuck) when I fudged my way through installing dropbear, but I couldn't get the user id/password setup to work, so I did it unprotected and this MAY have been what cause my first device to go crazy and then freeze on the Palm screen.

    Barring that, is there anything I can install that will let me enter the commands directly into the device (rather than telnetting in), so, if I have to reset somewhere, I can then key in the commands to restart CPU-Scaling?

    Thanks!
  10. as4life's Avatar
    Posts
    577 Posts
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    #270  
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    so i tried this mod and got the following readings:
    600000 443894
    550000 3894
    500000 3493
    250000 51957
    125000 535114

    I didn't notice any improvement with battery. I think i'm going to lower the number to 500mhz and see how that works.
    hey Elysian893,

    I've read u get really great battery life set on 600mhz. What are ur number results?
  11. #271  
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    hey Elysian893,

    I've read u get really great battery life set on 600mhz. What are ur number results?
    600000 254886
    550000 1922
    500000 2516
    250000 99258
    125000 352838


    I tethered it for a while at work today, so that was a lot of the 254, plus the rest of my usage during the day. While tethering of course, it was charging, since I'm doing USB tethering, not BT.
  12. #272  
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    Went back to 600MHz fixed with SmartReflex (Vdd auto-compensation). My Pre is suddenly a lot more enjoyable, and battery life actually seems better.
    And as a plus, I've been streaming Pandora on the touchstone all day today, and not a single crash since I turned off On-demand.

    It's just not worth it.
  13. #273  
    SmartReflex is definitely a keeper for me. I've been browsing heavily nonstop for about 1 1/2 hours now with Pandora playing continuously and a good number of cards open including Tweed. Battery is down a mere 17%, phone is a little warm but no stability issues. On demand would have crashed well over an hour ago, and my battery never was this good.
  14. eesucks's Avatar
    Posts
    62 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #274  
    I'll have to try out SmartReflex. Stability and artifacting made cpu freq. Scaling a no go for me. Battery life was better though.

    You can make cpu scaling sticky by putting a script in the event.d folder. It's listed in the pre dev wiki.
  15. #275  
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Gonna have to make the cpu-scaling file and find a place to host it, I finally cancelled my server, since I was only using it for image hosting and photobucket is free.
    Quote Originally Posted by VitViper View Post
    I can host anything you need hosted. I'm on pre #2 now, first one had the oreo effect and reset on slider open/close. Talk about **** luck on draw #1.
    Same. If you or anyone else needs hosting space, I can help out. Just send me a pm

    As for scaling. I ended up going back to stock for now. I had too many random crashes while doing basically nothing. I would have my phone sitting on my desk at work and then it would just reboot and freeze to where I had to pull the battery. This would happen with no cards open, and possibly a text message coming in? I'm not quite sure. It just didn't seem stable enough for right now since I don't want to miss too many calls =[
    May give smartreflex a try..
  16. #276  
    Heres my numbers this morning

    600000 338132
    550000 2397
    500000 2924
    250000 868500
    125000 3069055

    As you can see, its spending nearly 10x the amount of time in 125 as it is in 600, its spending almost 3x as much at 250 as 600, and not even touching 500 or 550
  17. #277  
    I had an intetesting thing happen, I exchanged pres and now my new one won't take the scaling. If I copy and paste the code from the wiki, my evdo no longer works andi have no data unless on wifi. Removing the scrript from event.d fixes it...

    Any ideas?
  18. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #278  
    Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    SmartReflex is definitely a keeper for me. I've been browsing heavily nonstop for about 1 1/2 hours now with Pandora playing continuously and a good number of cards open including Tweed. Battery is down a mere 17%, phone is a little warm but no stability issues. On demand would have crashed well over an hour ago, and my battery never was this good.
    So far smartflex has been working well. almost 2 hours of casual use and the battery is only down to 91%. Seems there's still some CPU scaling going on with smartflex on:

    600000 452090
    550000 757
    500000 168
    250000 0
    125000 0

    I couldn't use cpu-scaling... flickering and instability was bad. My phone is completely cold right now. Only gets a bit warm under use.

    Note:
    I did lose 2% off the battery when I SSH'd in to pull those stats. So remoting the phone over EVDO is extremely taxing on the battery (not surprising).

    Also, this battery is still brand new... hasn't even gone through one charge/discharge cycle. Got this second pre yesterday night.
  19. #279  
    Could you guys post the method to implement a fixed 600 with smartflex...no idea how to do that. Thanks
  20. VitViper's Avatar
    Posts
    83 Posts
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    #280  
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    Could you guys post the method to implement a fixed 600 with smartflex...no idea how to do that. Thanks
    It's right here... just do NOT turn on ondemand cpu-scaling.

    blog.noinc.com/?p=124

Posting Permissions