Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 389101112131415161718 ... LastLast
    My phone's battery life at 600 scaling when using it is much better than at stock, by a large margin.
    Any of you champs find any good method to help the freezing... Any good settings that would enable a noticeable increase in speed and also keeping stability. I would really hate to lose pandora because of an increase in speed. I can deal with the stock settings to keep pandora...
    Quote Originally Posted by scizzy View Post
    Any of you champs find any good method to help the freezing... Any good settings that would enable a noticeable increase in speed and also keeping stability. I would really hate to lose pandora because of an increase in speed. I can deal with the stock settings to keep pandora...
    If we did, itd be in the thread or in the wiki wouldn't it?
    Just askin...
    Just as an update, I was hoping that SmartReflex would work for me, because I use Pandora all the time, so the scaling method doesn't cut it.

It seemed to be working fine with SmartReflex on, and no modification to the CPU clock speed (still 500mHz), so I put it on the Touchstone to charge to 100% to test the effects on the battery, and almost instantly after it was put on the Touchstone it froze.

Seems neither option works well enough for me, maybe in future webOS revisions Palm will get it all sorted out and enabled by default.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    So far, at 550Mhz with CPU scaling, battery performance is good and the speed of the device is better than stock. I don't use Pandora, so I'm not sure about the stability of the application. I can try however.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    everytime i follow the instructions on the wiki and make the file and then reboot the phone wont reboot and i have to reflash it with the webos doctor tool. what am i doing wrong?
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    so i tried this mod and got the following readings:
    600000 443894
    550000 3894
    500000 3493
    250000 51957
    125000 535114

I didn't notice any improvement with battery. I think i'm going to lower the number to 500mhz and see how that works.
    Last edited by as4life; 07/04/2009 at 10:38 PM.
    Just as another point of reference for those considering overclocking, I set scaling_max_freq to 600000 and got the black screen when browsing heavily, though the device didn't seem excessively warm.

I've since backed it off to 550Mhz, and things seem stable (knock on wood).
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Is there a way to vary the voltage to support the overclocking?
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post
    Is there a way to vary the voltage to support the overclocking?
    Its not overclocking, the chip is fully capable of running in this configuration.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegan99 View Post
    Just as another point of reference for those considering overclocking, I set scaling_max_freq to 600000 and got the black screen when browsing heavily, though the device didn't seem excessively warm.

I've since backed it off to 550Mhz, and things seem stable (knock on wood).
    Its not a result of the 600mhz, its the scaling. It happens at 500, 550, 600, as long as your scaling, it can happen. That said, I haven't had it happen in over a week, and I'm always set to 600.
    Global Posts
    211 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    Its not overclocking, the chip is fully capable of running in this configuration.
    it is still overclocking the device. thats why i feel there is a need to increase the voltage.
    Quote Originally Posted by samid View Post
    it is still overclocking the device. thats why i feel there is a need to increase the voltage.
    Only from what palm clocks it at. Its not an overclock because its a downclocked chip. It does not need a voltage change, or my phone would be constantly crashing. What processor have you ever had that a 100mhz overclock needs a voltage change? The only one that comes to mind for me is my P200@295. How much overclocking experience do you even have?
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    After a few days at running at 550Mhz, I switched back to the default settings. Now the time_in_state indicates the only 2 speeds as 500Mhz and a some cycles at 550Mhz (probably during start-up).

Observations:
    * At 600Mhz, the device crashed during heavy browsing or searching
    * At 550Mhz, YouTube (and videos) would show strange artifacts, such as the screen flickering and lines appearing on the screen. This didn't happen on the wife's Pre (stock settings) and when I switched back to 500Mhz, this behavior went away.
    * Battery life was mixed. Standby mode was much better with frequency scaling (all day without use and the battery bar is still green). Heavy use drained the battery faster (when watching the same YouTube video) on the device.

I guess I am living with a few stutters and "Loadings" in my contacts and a slower calendar page.

As far as I can tell, 550Mhz is an overclock. Underclocking is normally paired with a lower input voltage to save even more power (power = cap. * freq * voltage^2). Lowering the voltage gives you more bang for the buck than lower the frequency, that's why it's normally done together.

As an ASIC designer, I know embedded application processors will sometimes require different input voltages to support the various clock speeds. Also the additional power needed for the higher frequencies sometimes requires higher capacity capacitors (and other passives changes) to ensure stable operation.

Either the engineers at Palm could not figure out how to use frequency scaling on this particular chip, or there is a bug in the chip or firmware that is preventing them from enabling right out of the box. You would think that the company would enable this feature as it saves battery life.

I don't think the higher frequency settings in any way will damage the device, but there seems to be some compromises in stability in the overall system.
    I've had the Pre set to 500mHz maxfreq, ondemand governor, and 30 up_threshold overnight, and haven't had a crash yet. I can't remember if I left it at the default of 600mHz max or not the last time when I was having issues, but seems stable this way so far. I also had Pandora going for around two hours via A2DP and have had it on the Touchstone overnight.

It's also had 16 cards open the entire time.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 07/06/2009 at 04:14 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by eesucks View Post
    After a few days at running at 550Mhz, I switched back to the default settings. Now the time_in_state indicates the only 2 speeds as 500Mhz and a some cycles at 550Mhz (probably during start-up).

Observations:
    * At 600Mhz, the device crashed during heavy browsing or searching
    * At 550Mhz, YouTube (and videos) would show strange artifacts, such as the screen flickering and lines appearing on the screen. This didn't happen on the wife's Pre (stock settings) and when I switched back to 500Mhz, this behavior went away.
    * Battery life was mixed. Standby mode was much better with frequency scaling (all day without use and the battery bar is still green). Heavy use drained the battery faster (when watching the same YouTube video) on the device.

I guess I am living with a few stutters and "Loadings" in my contacts and a slower calendar page.

As far as I can tell, 550Mhz is an overclock. Underclocking is normally paired with a lower input voltage to save even more power (power = cap. * freq * voltage^2). Lowering the voltage gives you more bang for the buck than lower the frequency, that's why it's normally done together.

As an ASIC designer, I know embedded application processors will sometimes require different input voltages to support the various clock speeds. Also the additional power needed for the higher frequencies sometimes requires higher capacity capacitors (and other passives changes) to ensure stable operation.

Either the engineers at Palm could not figure out how to use frequency scaling on this particular chip, or there is a bug in the chip or firmware that is preventing them from enabling right out of the box. You would think that the company would enable this feature as it saves battery life.

I don't think the higher frequency settings in any way will damage the device, but there seems to be some compromises in stability in the overall system.
    Youtube shows artifacting for me no matter what frequency with scaling on. It doesn't happen much though, mainly only if you interact with the screen. I've got a feeling its more a bug in the scaling implementation, not the chip, I'd assume a future kernel update could fix this. I use my phone heavily, and haven't had it crash while using it. The only time it ever crashes is when its idling, and thats been a very rare occurence, it happened for the first time in about a week this morning.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I noticed with frequency scaling on, YouTube would also load more often (streaming is not as smooth?). I'm hoping the firmware can be tweaked to take advantage of CPU scaling in the future. Or they can tweak some applications to improve overall performance, especially in the calendar and photos.

At 550MHz, I didn't have any issues with stability, it didn't crash once. At 600Mhz, it crashed twice under heavy use (multiple cards open with chat and browsing going on at the same time).
    Quote Originally Posted by eesucks View Post
    I noticed with frequency scaling on, YouTube would also load more often (streaming is not as smooth?). I'm hoping the firmware can be tweaked to take advantage of CPU scaling in the future. Or they can tweak some applications to improve overall performance, especially in the calendar and photos.

At 550MHz, I didn't have any issues with stability, it didn't crash once. At 600Mhz, it crashed twice under heavy use (multiple cards open with chat and browsing going on at the same time).
    It must be on a phone by phone basis, maybe my processor is from a better batch of chips than yours or something. I do all of what you're mentioning with no issue. I even was using telenav, browser and messaging the other day, no issues.
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    I'm running at 550Mhz scaling on no issues with Pandora, YouTube defiantly has some issues with flickering and artifacts. I tried Smartflex, basically all it did was make the phone freeze. Battery life is great now 36 hours off charger still hanging on to 10% battery life moderate use with Tweed (Alerts on), Email Fetching every 15 mins from 3 different mailboxes, regular texting, and a few phone calls. I'm defiantly happy with the increased responsiveness of the phone.