Page 12 of 22 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314151617 ... LastLast
    You need to hit Control-O to write to file (in nano). However even for me in doing so it just doesnt seem to wanna stick after reboot. Seems like we are having the same problem... Any help is appreciated. Thanks again

Zachary
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SMKOUT333 View Post
    You need to hit Control-O to write to file (in nano). However even for me in doing so it just doesnt seem to wanna stick after reboot. Seems like we are having the same problem... Any help is appreciated. Thanks again

Zachary
    Are you mounting the filesystem as read/write before you start?
    Code:
    sudo mount -o remount,rw /
    and changing back to readonly when youre done, prior to reboot:

Code:
    sudo mount -o remount,ro /
    To the previous poster, if you are using vi, you need to hit ESC after pasting your text in to make sure you are in command mode, and then you can do a number of things to save and exit:

:wq will work.. OR
    :x will work OR
    ZZ will work

Take your pick

Zachary
    You're hitting enter after you press ctrl o correct? And there are no errors at the bottom? And your typing /opt/bin/nano /etc/event.d/cpu-scaling to actually make the file?
    Quote Originally Posted by Elysian893 View Post
    You're hitting enter after you press ctrl o correct? And there are no errors at the bottom? And your typing /opt/bin/nano /etc/event.d/cpu-scaling to actually make the file?
    I'm doing it in vi . And I am hitting escape at the end, and even remounting as read only. it works great, But it's NOT sticking on reboot. I don't get it.

Isn't there anyone out there who can just write an app that we can install that will do this, just like every over or underclocking program ever written? I would be happy to pay for it (a copy, not funding the full development).
    Quote Originally Posted by pelikan3 View Post
    I'm doing it in vi . And I am hitting escape at the end, and even remounting as read only. it works great, But it's NOT sticking on reboot. I don't get it.

Isn't there anyone out there who can just write an app that we can install that will do this, just like every over or underclocking program ever written? I would be happy to pay for it (a copy, not funding the full development).
    I never learned vi, I always liked the ease of use of nano/pico, those are my kind of editors
    I am actually having a permissions problem it seems, been stuck at a friends house and now back on my own turf putty and openssh seem to be much more cooperative. the command...sudo mount -o remount,rw / also doesnt seem to be doing it for me.. When I edit the file in Nano or Vi it will not allow me to save changes as the file is now a readonly'. I also cant use the rm command on the other (copy scripts that are saved also in event.d as cpu-scaling.save.1 etc) as my permissions are denied. Thanks again for any and all help

I seem to be SMKOUT333@castle now, and as my computer is on windows 7 it might be difficult to telnet root.. How do I get my permissions to be root the" sudo the_command" also doesnt work...? I am learning a ton about how this works, but am running into some smaller roadblocks as well
    Last edited by SMKOUT333; 06/30/2009 at 01:51 AM. Reason: Figure some things out..
    I am actually having a permissions problem it seems, been stuck at a friends house and now back on my own turf putty and openssh seem to be much more cooperative. the command...sudo mount -o remount,rw / also doesnt seem to be doing it for me.. When I edit the file in Nano or Vi it will not allow me to save changes as the file is now a readonly'. I also cant use the rm command on the other (copy scripts that are saved also in event.d as cpu-scaling.save.1 etc) as my permissions are denied. Thanks again for any and all help

I seem to be SMKOUT333@castle now, and as my computer is on windows 7 it might be difficult to telnet root.. How do I get my permissions to be root the" sudo the_command" also doesnt work...? I am learning a ton about how this works, but am running into some smaller roadblocks as well
    You have to be sudo to save the file in nano. Instead of putting sudo before the mount command, just type

sudo -s

hit enter, put in your password, then type

mount -o remount,rw /

then type /opt/bin/nano /etc/event.d/cpu-scaling

paste in the info, ctrl o, hit enter, reboot phone.
    Elysian893 thank you so much for continually helping me with your help it is now complete..! I'm wondering if threshold of 30 and scaling and 600 mhz limit is still the best settings people have experienced ? Thank you immensely the sudo -s command was what was holding me back. You are a great asset to these forums..!

Zachary
    Elysian893 thank you so much for continually helping me with your help it is now complete..! I'm wondering if threshold of 30 and scaling and 600 mhz limit is still the best settings people have experienced ? Thank you immensely the sudo -s command was what was holding me back. You are a great asset to these forums..!

Zachary
    I'll put it this way, I've had my phone off the charger since 7:20am. I've used it moderately throughout the day, and I still have 93% charge left, set at 600 with a threshold of 30. I'd say thats pretty great. I even ran a Java benchmark during that time, using the full 600mhz, so yeah, take it for what its worth.
    I've had my phone off the charger since 7:20am. I've used it moderately throughout the day, and I still have 93% charge left, set at 600 with a threshold of 30. I'd say thats pretty great. I even ran a Java benchmark during that time, using the full 600mhz, so yeah, take it for what its worth.
    Your results are so much better than mine. This morning I got up at 6:00am and went for a walk with my wife. I brought my phone with me and didn't use it at all after taking it off the charger and during the walk. When I finally started using the phone (about 2 hours later) it was at 89%. This is w/cpu-scaling on. Now, to be certain, at that rate, I can get about 20 hours standby on a single charge. Which is a *WHOLE* lot better than the 6-8 hours w/out cpu-scaling. But it's nowhere near the 114 hours of moderate use time that you get (7% over 8 hours = 100% over 114 hours).

I'd suspect signal strength where I live/work. But I get consistently strong signal on all my non-Pre sprint phones at both locations. (On the Pre, it jumps all over place. Sprint says that this is an issue on the Pre, that an update is going to fix.) In any case, I don't think it's signal strength.

I'd suspect a dud phone. But I've already returned one phone as a result of non-functional volume buttons. And the replacement behaves exactly the same way.

I just don't get how you get such fantastic battery performance.
    Last edited by mu7efcer; 06/30/2009 at 04:42 PM.
    then type /opt/bin/nano /etc/event.d/cpu-scaling
    FYI, an easier way to copy and paste stuff to a file is to use the "cat" command instead of an editor. If you just cut and paste the following after mounting the filesystem read/write, it will create the file that you want.
    Code:
    cat << EOF > /etc/event.d/cpu-scaling
    # Enables cpu scaling

start on stopped finish
    stop on runlevel [!2]

console none

respawn

script
        echo "500000" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_max_freq
        echo "ondemand" > /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_governor
    end script
    EOF
    This will put everything between the first "enter" after the cat command and EOF into the file /etc/event.d/cpu-scaling.

Yeah, I'm a unix bigot. Sorry.
    Was more like 7 hours when I posted earlier... I'm at 76 percent now, 442 central time. I've used it a bit more since my last post.
    So I have to admit, I haven't been watching this thread as closely as I meant to, so I need to ask. What (if anything) was done to fix the stability issues for you?
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    So I have to admit, I haven't been watching this thread as closely as I meant to, so I need to ask. What (if anything) was done to fix the stability issues for you?
    Nothing. I just don't run Pandora anymore, my Pre has had 0 issues lately.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I just implemented the change to turn on CPU scaling and I'll monitor performance and battery life. My battery life was already pretty decent, could get through the whole day in the office while talking about 60 - 90 minutes throughout the day. From 7am - 9pm, I was typically down to 30% battery or so, not bad.

One thing I noticed was that the settings were set to 600MHz by default when I enabled CPU scaling. I left it as is and only changed the threshold to 30. We'll see what happens.
    Any body ever perfect this just yet. I love the speed of 550 with scaling on but I also like pandora and stability. What are everybody's best results, and settings that corroborate them. I'd love to figure out what I can scale it to and keep stability!
    Yeah... wish I had seen this. Unfortunately, I was unable to resurrect my phone. The restore worked, but, upon reboot, froze at the Palm screen again. I got the Sprint tech to do it for me, and he said he was successful. But, then he turned it off and set it aside. Upon reboot, it was locked up again. So, I lost a REALLY good all around phone. Good slider etc.

Not guilt and recrimination, mind you. It was my risk and I'm NOT a Linux programmer at all, just following what directions I could find.

Quote Originally Posted by JcLusso View Post
    Unfortunately I tried this before I read the "edit"; maybe the edit wasn't even there when I tried it. Basically if this happens to you and your phone gets stuck on the Palm Logo screen and its not glowing than follow these steps. I learned the hard way and ended up almost going back to the store cause I thought the phone was bricked.

1. Remove the battery and USB cable if connected.
    2. Replace the battery
    3. Hold the volume button and than plug the phone into the USB cable but it MUST be being plugged into the AC Adapter. USB WILL NOT WORK!!!
    4. Now once the USB logo appears remove the USB cable from the AC Adapter.
    5. Start up the WebOS Doctor on your computer and follow all the steps and when you get to the page that says connect your device... than connect your device.
    6. Let the phone Re-OS itself and when it completes DON'T DO THIS AGAIN.

Hope I will save someone else the time and frustration.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I've tried CPU scaling at 600Mhz for two days now. I liked the performance of the phone, the scrolling was MUCH smoother in contacts and the calendar ran better as well. Here are my observations:

1. Snappier feel in contacts and calendar
    2. When not in use, battery life is comparable or better than stock
    3. Heavy use (web browsing or video watching) battery life is much worse
    4. The phone ran COOLER during heavy use - very strange
    5. The phone crashed twice (the screen just goes blank and need to pull the battery out in order to restart).

I removed the sticky script in event.d folder and set everything back to normal. I prefer a stable platform over performance.

The one strange thing is that the phone never got hot with CPU scaling on. With the stock settings, the phone gets quite warm during YouTube or SprintTV.

Haven't tried 550MHz yet, but I might consider it if the sluggishness of the calendar and contacts annoys me enough.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    To be more specific on the performance differences:

Contacts
    When scrolling through my contacts very quickly in the stock settings, sometimes I'll get a hiccup during scrolling and also I'll get a "Loading" message and the scroll will stop as if it hit the bottom of the list. (Screen bounces).

With 600MHz, I still got the hiccup (though much less often) and the "Loading" message never appeared. It was pretty cool.

Calendar
    The program loaded faster and switching between views was faster. Also scrolling though month to month was much smoother. With the stock frequency, the scrolling in 30 day mode is quite choppy.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    Ok, contacts scrolling was too annoying (that was quick). So I changed the scaling_max_freq to 550MHz. Will keep you all posted on performance and battery life.