Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Can anyone make a step by step guide with screenshots of how to root/MOD Palm pre?
    pre dev wiki: Enable Root Access
    Step by Step guide, but no screenshots. Its not that difficult though.
    Personally... I think it needs more pictures...

maybe an instructional video?

I'm a visual learner.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    I am able to follow it so far with no issues. However I hit a wall on step 13b.

It says to: Create a file named "/etc/event.d/openssh"
    I'm not quite following there.
    Quote Originally Posted by DNic View Post
    I am able to follow it so far with no issues. However I hit a wall on step 13b.

It says to: Create a file named "/etc/event.d/openssh"
    I'm not quite following there.
    So use 13a instead.
    I recommend 13a as well. Much easier.
    Global Posts
    599 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Kimleng View Post
    I recommend 13a as well. Much easier.
    Yea way easier. I misread it and though it applied to dropbear.
    So... just a quick dumb question. When you root the Pre does it hard reset the device?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mustang46L View Post
    So... just a quick dumb question. When you root the Pre does it hard reset the device?
    Nope. Business as usual after you root it. Only thing that can happen is if you mess something up and break it Use at your own risk!
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    Can anyone make a step by step guide with screenshots of how to root/MOD Palm pre?
    I'd like to point out that at this point the Pre's WebOS software is largely uncharted territory. So far people have gained access to the phone's Linux operating system are mostly just learning and experimenting.

It's a pretty good idea, if you're gonna do any of the stuff on the wiki right now, that you have a basic familiarity with things like Linux command line, root, SSH, etc. If not, you could potentially make your device insecure, or break it.

That's the main reason there's no pictures, etc. People are using the wiki as a sketchpad for things learned by playing around with WebOS.

That said, if you try any of this stuff and you do break your phone, all is not lost. You can restore your phone and you will lose minimal data. (stuff on the USB drive, contact linking, etc.) Most of the actual info in your phone should be backed up to your Palm Profile.

Cheers,

-n8
    Yeah, I am pretty familiar with linux commands.. just wasn't really in the mood to restore all of my settings again.

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by whoiswhois View Post
    Step by Step guide, but no screenshots. Its not that difficult though.
    Although I am well versed in DOS, I am a Linux noob (should I even have brought up this "comparison"?), so granted, maybe I shouldn't venture with rooting my PrPrPr&#$275$; $just$ $yet$, $but$ $I$ $will$ $say$ $these$ $instructions$ $are$ $far$ $from$ $dummy$-$proof$.

Example 1: Step # 6 reads "Get the rooter from subversion: h**p://svn.saurik.com/repos/webos-dev/trunk/rooter/". So I go to that link and see a bunch of files, but none called "rooter" anything. It isn't until you read step # 7 ("Download all files from subversion") that you realize what you have to do and that is --at least I think it is-- downloading each of these files that you see and placing them someone on your PC.

Example 2: Step # 8 reads "Run talk.py inside of subversion." What exactly does this mean to me? How do I run a file and where do I run it? Based on the file extension, I am assuming this is some sort of Python file, but how do you run a Python file?

Example 3: Step # 9 reads "Get your pre's IP address, and you can telnet into it (username: root)." I personally do know how to get the WiFi IP address on the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $but$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $everybody$ $does$. $Plus$ &$quot$;$you$ $can$ $telnet$ $into$ $it$&$quot$; $means$ $that$ $I$ $am$ $now$ $capable$ $of$ ($nice$ $to$ $have$) $or$ $I$ $should$ $in$ $order$ $to$ $root$ $it$ ($a$ $must$)? $And$ $again$, $I$ $know$ $how$, $but$ $not$ $everyone$ $knows$ $how$ $to$ $telnet$.

Example 4: Step # 10 reads "Secure the network access once finished." What network? I never made my network unsecure, since none of the steps before requested it. Although the following sentence ("If you do not secure the network, your device will be accessible by anyone on the internet until rebooted") hints at something to do with the PrPrPr&#$275$; (&$quot$;$the$ $device$&$quot$;) $and$ $not$ $your$ $wireless$ $router$. $But$, $again$, $I$'$m$ $just$ $not$ $sure$.

Again, I don't feel these are dummy-proof instructions or this thread wouldn't even exist.
    Global Posts
    49 Global Posts
    yeah I am with Razor I am totally confused after step 6...
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Everything looks simple (I have a mac) until i have to enable optaware feed. Plus i'm not familar with all the terms you guys use. I really want to edit universal search and roam only but i'm affraid to brick my phone. Maybe i'll just wait for an app similar to cydia.
    Again, I don't feel these are dummy-proof instructions or this thread wouldn't even exist.
    Yeah, the instructions aren't clear cut. I was stuck on some of those same parts, but my brain is made to troubleshoot, so I was able to put 2+2 together and figured it all out fairly quickly. However, I understand not everyone's brain works the same way. This is one of those things where we almost don't want lawyers performing open heart surgery. However, seeing how the patient (phone) in this particular case can be revived, there's no harm in attempting it and messing it all up

Since, I, the Average Joe, has figured this out, I shall attempt write up Average Joe comments into the guide.
    in reality... if you cant understand some of the mods on the wiki probably best you dont do them pictures or not. you shouldnt really need pictures for this stuff. i am no unix nor java expert with my minimal knowledge i can do them. so if it doesnt make sense then just waited it out till there are simple installers.
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I'll just wait to see what happens when they come out with an update. I would hate to make these mods and end up having them erased by a system update.
    Global Posts
    284 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    I would hate to make these mods and end up having them erased by a system update.
    That's what's got me worried.... If I go to the trouble (it is something I would love to learn) But all the work is for not with an update that erased everything WE worked so hard for.
    It really isn't that much work, but unfortunately there isn't much benefit. I did it just so I could add more pages.

You can run an NES emulator, but only if you are near a computer to SSH in and load it. You can load the flash for a flashlight, but again you must be able to SSH in and load it.

Also if you read the dev wiki they chose to edit the files in the places they have because it is VERY unlikely that Palm will edit these files in any update so if you wanna do it, just do it. Even with issues figuring out how to do it I finished everything in less than 30 minutes.
    Hey, so I'v rooted my pre and installed Dropbear. However, whenever I connect via ssh the first time it always times out. The second or third time I try it instantly connects and I am able to login even though I haven't changed any of my connection settings in PuTTy. Whats the problem?

Does the pre go to sleep making it not able to login or something?

Does anyone else have this problem?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast