Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Razor1973 View Post
    Although I am well versed in DOS, I am a Linux noob (should I even have brought up this "comparison"?), so granted, maybe I shouldn't venture with rooting my PrPrPr&#$275$; $just$ $yet$, $but$ $I$ $will$ $say$ $these$ $instructions$ $are$ $far$ $from$ $dummy$-$proof$.

Example 1: Step # 6 reads "Get the rooter from subversion: h**p://svn.saurik.com/repos/webos-dev/trunk/rooter/". So I go to that link and see a bunch of files, but none called "rooter" anything. It isn't until you read step # 7 ("Download all files from subversion") that you realize what you have to do and that is --at least I think it is-- downloading each of these files that you see and placing them someone on your PC.

Example 2: Step # 8 reads "Run talk.py inside of subversion." What exactly does this mean to me? How do I run a file and where do I run it? Based on the file extension, I am assuming this is some sort of Python file, but how do you run a Python file?

Example 3: Step # 9 reads "Get your pre's IP address, and you can telnet into it (username: root)." I personally do know how to get the WiFi IP address on the PrPrPr&#$275$;, $but$ $I$'$m$ $not$ $sure$ $everybody$ $does$. $Plus$ &$quot$;$you$ $can$ $telnet$ $into$ $it$&$quot$; $means$ $that$ $I$ $am$ $now$ $capable$ $of$ ($nice$ $to$ $have$) $or$ $I$ $should$ $in$ $order$ $to$ $root$ $it$ ($a$ $must$)? $And$ $again$, $I$ $know$ $how$, $but$ $not$ $everyone$ $knows$ $how$ $to$ $telnet$.

Example 4: Step # 10 reads "Secure the network access once finished." What network? I never made my network unsecure, since none of the steps before requested it. Although the following sentence ("If you do not secure the network, your device will be accessible by anyone on the internet until rebooted") hints at something to do with the PrPrPr&#$275$; (&$quot$;$the$ $device$&$quot$;) $and$ $not$ $your$ $wireless$ $router$. $But$, $again$, $I$'$m$ $just$ $not$ $sure$.

Again, I don't feel these are dummy-proof instructions or this thread wouldn't even exist.
    I see the instructions have been modified to include more details and every one of my points above was taken care of. Thank you! Well, except for the very last one. The instructions still say "Remember to secure the network access once finished." What exactly does this mean?
    I see the instructions have been modified to include more details and every one of my points above was taken care of. Thank you! Well, except for the very last one. The instructions still say "Remember to secure the network access once finished." What exactly does this mean?

You are welcome.

BTW, I agree that the last point requires more explanation...but it was late. Stay tuned...and just turn off the dev mode switch when you are done and reset for now.
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by scuba_steve View Post
    ...and just turn off the dev mode switch when you are done and reset for now.
    And how exactly do you do this, Sir? See? We mortals need dummy-proof instructions. (I prefer the term "mortals" to "dummies".)
    And how exactly do you do this, Sir? See? We mortals need dummy-proof instructions. (I prefer the term "mortals" to "dummies".)

The instructions indicate the need to turn the switch on initially (and also mention how to do so)...so if you got in, you must have seen the on-off switch at one point. Just flip it the other way.

Even better, apply this hack when you are in as root so you don't need to use the Konami code ever again to access the dev mode switch:

pre dev wiki: Unhide the DeveloperMode App

BTW, to be honest, I personally don't want the instructions to be completely "dummy/mortal/layman level." Anyone who hacks their Pre is in a Linux OS as root. You can do damage. Also, an author of such instructions could not possibly hope to address all exceptional flows...and what you might need to do to address them. Thus, my personal bias is that folks who "hack" this thing should have some experience with Linux or Unix...and be familiar with the OS at least at some level...as well as how to use things like chmod, chown, vi, mount, etc.

Thus, the instructions to some extent (whether intentionally or not) are filtering out folks who probably shouldn't be in there as root. That said, I hear you folks, so I refined the previous author's instructions somewhat to address related concerns...but I personally am never going to write "dummy level" hacking instructions. Take heart, someone will write a GUI to apply the best hacks. It's still very early in this process.

cheers,
    Steve
    IIIx -> Tungsten T -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700p -> Launch day Pre
    Honestly if you've never done anything in a Linux/UNIX command line type environment before, you shouldn't be trying to root your Pre. You're just asking for trouble. It's only a matter of time before someone goes typing "rm -rf /" and then goes crying to Sprint complaining that their phone won't boot anymore. If you're having too much trouble understanding the root instructions or you think they should be "simplified" for dummies, then you shouldn't be doing it.

Perhaps not rm -rf /, but someone's going to be trying to edit css files using vi or something and then they'll screw something up royally and their phone doesn't display right anymore, and then they'll take it to Sprint and get the rest of us in trouble. Not everyone should be allowed to have root, not even on their own computers. It's too easy to screw up.
    Last edited by xcomputerman; 06/16/2009 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Quick update
  6. tuz
    Global Posts
    149 Global Posts
    This talk of crying to Sprint makes me ask about exactly what may be voiding the warranty. When my Pre arrives in the mail tomorrow (yay!) I would love to activate the extra launcher pages and call duration thing. Though I have pretty much no experience beyond some html, and qbasic years ago as a preteen, I'm guessing since all I want to do is follow those instructions (not cleverly fiddle with anything on my own), I should be okay. But if rooting the Pre in the first place voids the warranty, any mistake could leave me seriously screwed, right?

So at what point would warranty be voided? I'm hoping it's not til I do something crazy like reprogram the phone as a coffeemaker or something.

Any reason not to make these mods before activating the phone? Or right after, before any contacts get linked?

Thanks, wise ones.
    Take heart, someone will write a GUI to apply the best hacks. It's still very early in this process.
    I'm with you. I have been waiting for this tool that will do the rooting with a click or two, especially when the benefits of rooting aren't that many right now. The only reason I have considered following these instructions is the fear that Palm may release an update (and there is talk of one in the works for this week or the next) that will close this "backdoor" and not allow me to root ever again. This is what happened with the T-Mobile G1 and it took a while for a solution to be found, which included downgrading before being able to root.
    cant wait until someone will be kind to do a "one click" up to root the pre...
    Quote Originally Posted by as4life View Post
    Can anyone make a step by step guide with screenshots of how to root/MOD Palm pre?
    Don't you know? Hackers can't talk in "normal people english" .

Quote Originally Posted by xcomputerman View Post
    Honestly if you've never done anything in a Linux/UNIX command line type environment before, you shouldn't be trying to root your Pre. You're just asking for trouble. It's only a matter of time before someone goes typing "rm -rf /" and then goes crying to Sprint complaining that their phone won't boot anymore. If you're having too much trouble understanding the root instructions or you think they should be "simplified" for dummies, then you shouldn't be doing it.
    You should have never even written rm -rf LOL. Now people will want to know what it does .
    Palm History: Palm III>IIIc>CLIÉ NR70v>CLIÉ TG50>Tungsten C>Treo 650>Treo 700p>Centro>Pre!! 6/5/09
    Phone History: Way too long

Sorry Timmy, SERO does not work with the Pre.
    If you have an iTouch click me.
    I think what people don't realize about rooting the Pre without the technical know how is the fact that NOT ALL SYSTEMS ARE THE SAME. There are several variables involving these hacks. The Pre, the computer, and the person operating both devices. If at any point, if one of the variables deviates from the expected result, we will now need to introduce a 4th variable: THE TROUBLESHOOTER. And guess what? Being a troubleshooter when you didn't have to be one is almost never fun.

It's not that we don't want people to root their Pre, we just don't want people to attempt to cut their arm off and reattach it to their ear without going through med school first. There are tons of things that can go wrong, and without the med school, no one wants to have to play free overtime doctor. So, put the scalpel away, kids
    I got root using dropbear. how do i enable sftp on the pre?
    I am reminded of the book C++ for Dummies. There are somethings dummies just shouldn't do (trying to write C++ is one of them).

If you don't know what subversion is, or much worse what telnet is, it may be better not to hack your Pre. Install a Linux distro on you PC (or buy a linux netbook) and have some fun with that instead.
    The instructions indicate the need to turn the switch on initially (and also mention how to do so)...so if you got in, you must have seen the on-off switch at one point. Just flip it the other way.

Even better, apply this hack when you are in as root so you don't need to use the Konami code ever again to access the dev mode switch:

pre dev wiki: Unhide the DeveloperMode App

BTW, to be honest, I personally don't want the instructions to be completely "dummy/mortal/layman level." Anyone who hacks their Pre is in a Linux OS as root. You can do damage. Also, an author of such instructions could not possibly hope to address all exceptional flows...and what you might need to do to address them. Thus, my personal bias is that folks who "hack" this thing should have some experience with Linux or Unix...and be familiar with the OS at least at some level...as well as how to use things like chmod, chown, vi, mount, etc.

Thus, the instructions to some extent (whether intentionally or not) are filtering out folks who probably shouldn't be in there as root. That said, I hear you folks, so I refined the previous author's instructions somewhat to address related concerns...but I personally am never going to write "dummy level" hacking instructions. Take heart, someone will write a GUI to apply the best hacks. It's still very early in this process.

cheers,
    Steve
    Maybe the best thing to do would be to write a "how to fully backup and restore your Pre for dummies" guide and then not worry as much about mistakes!
    I highly recommend people needing help rooting their device to check out the irc channel #preguides on freenode. Very helpful people there...
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    I finally got the guts to root my pre. I Enabled the Optware Package Feed. I wanted to add additional global search sites but when i try to edit /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs $i$ $get$ &$quot$;$Access$ $Denied$&$quot$;. $What$ $did$ $I$ $do$ $wrong$?
    when trying to root, when i click webosdoctorp100ewwsprint/resources/NovacomInstaller_x86.msi"
    it starts to install but then says, connection failed, and closes. what am i doing wrong?
    I finally got the guts to root my pre. I Enabled the Optware Package Feed. I wanted to add additional global search sites but when i try to edit /usr/lib/luna/system/luna-applauncher/app/controllers/global-search-assistant.jsjsjs $i$ $get$ &$quot$;$Access$ $Denied$&$quot$;. $What$ $did$ $I$ $do$ $wrong$?
    Did you install sudo? If not, you must use the command "su - root" so that you may have privileges to make changes.

Also make sure you remount the file system as read/write:

mount -o remount,rw /
    Global Posts
    733 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mrjcarter View Post
    Did you install sudo? If not, you must use the command "su - root" so that you may have privileges to make changes.

Also make sure you remount the file system as read/write:

mount -o remount,rw /
    I installed sudo from the instructions. Still not letting me make changes. Also i tried su- root and it asked me for a password. When i entered it it says sorry
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I installed sudo from the instructions. Still not letting me make changes. Also i tried su- root and it asked me for a password. When i entered it it says sorry
    Assuming you are going to edit the file using vi
    sudo vi filename
    Quote Originally Posted by natrixgli View Post
    That said, if you try any of this stuff and you do break your phone, all is not lost. You can restore your phone and you will lose minimal data. (stuff on the USB drive, contact linking, etc.) Most of the actual info in your phone should be backed up to your Palm Profile.
    1) Does rooting the phone void the warranty. And if so does the insurance plan I bought cover the damage I will do so it will cost me $100 to replace instead of $500?

2)Does restoring the phone "reinstall" the operating system? Kind of like the way you hit ctrl+F11 on a dell to reinstall the OS from a hidden partition?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast