Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I waited patiently for the Pre, I stood in line to get it, I've rooted my
    Pre, I've installed optware, I've hacked the calculator and changed it to a
    totally new app, I've gone though a lot of the code for the applications
    and the frameworks.

It's all been good fun, but darn it Palm... I want the SDK so I don't have to
    keep spinning my wheels. If you have hundreds of developers already on
    board as you say and are releasing apps from independent developers,
    then the SDK is ready.

What's the holdup? Is it something bigger than making sure it's ready? Is it
    a security issue? Trying to protect the frameworks code? That's out the
    window since everyone has root access. Tell us Palm, we will understand,
    but we just don't believe you when you say it's not ready... because
    obviously it is.

It's like you think you don't need us and if you keep acting like this many
    of us won't be there when you do grace us with the SDK. You're acting like
    the Pre is a run-away success already, but by all accounts it's sold only
    a tenth of the number of iPhones that sold in the first few days. You need
    us and every day the SDK is delayed you risk losing more and more of us.

Palm... the SILENCE is deafening... just a friken update on where you are
    would be a good start.

Anyone else ready for the SDK? Tell them, they don't act like it but
    maybe they are listening.
    Couldn't agree more. I've done the rooting, mucked around, but really I want to be out there, legitimately writing apps that I find useful. I guess no SDK on release day is fine (what can we do now), but we have access to the phone! Maybe it's time to let out what you've got. I would rather upgrade an SDK weekly than continue going without.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I'm in the UK, so I haven't even managed to get my hands on a Pre yet - the SDK (specifically, the emulator!) would do a lot to get me even more enthusiastic about the device, and as a hobbyist web developer I'd love to see what I'd be able to do with the dev kit.
    and the second it comes out.. there are going to be posts saying why did they release a sdk that isn't ready? why do i have to rewrite my program after this sdk update? Palm get your act together... blah blah.

I wanted the SDK released BEFORE the phone was even released LoL... but now that i've dug around some... this phone has a LOT of potential. Let the SDK come out polished.. only better apps would be released!

double edged sword.. darned if you.. darned if you don't
  5.    #5  
    and the second it comes out.. there are going to be posts saying why did they release a sdk that isn't ready?
    I disagree... first rule in SUCCESSFUL software development is release early
    and release often. We are developers, not end users. If the SDK is good
    enough for hundreds it's good enough for all of us. I just don't buy that
    argument, I think there must be something Palm is hiding that is a much bigger
    problem. Has anyone actually talked to someone that has the SDK that is not
    a BIG name?
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pre_addict View Post
    and release often.
    Don't think it applies to every case of software development. For once, define "successful".

I do wonder why Palm is still keeping the SDK shut behind doors. Maybe some aspects are still not finalized.
    I have a theory that they are only releasing the SDK to a small amount of BIG name developers in order to not have the disaster that the iPhone app store is (One good app to about ten thousand crappy ones)

If that is the case then shame on palm.

BTW: a few of us in the UK asked palm when the SDK was coming out, the reply email was exactly the same to all 12 of us!
  8.    #8  
    For one, define "successful".
    Successful: not what Palm has done thus far.

Let's see... launch a new platform:
    - without an SDK
    - without ANY type of timeframe of when the SDK will be available
    - without frequent communication with developers
    - without a full-time evangelist
    - without developer forums
    - without participating in independent developer events
    - without responding to these questions

Does that describe a product that is going to be successful? This has
    got to be deliberate or someone should lose their job. Maybe the
    CEO already has, I dunno.

I hope it's not true but this SDK BS seems to be part of the same train
    wreck that has taken Palm to where it is.

I have a theory that they are only releasing the SDK to a small amount of BIG name developers in order to not have the disaster that the iPhone app store is (One good app to about ten thousand crappy ones)
    That would seem to fit what is going on and it sucks big time for
    the small (but excellent) developers that could be producing quality
    apps. I think they could easily control that with the app approval process,
    just delay the ones that sucked. It' not hard to tell in a few seconds if an
    app is worthy or not.
  9.    #9  
    I just want to point out that there are 166,000 views of the thread
    "Ok ROM Comes". Uh Palm... see how much interest there is?
    and release often.
    Although I agree that the SDK (or lackthereof) has generated quite a lot of interest and disdain in the community, I think I agree with antiono3 on this one.

Don't get me wrong, I want it out ASAP, but if they release it now, and keep sending people updates every week, developers are going to get annoyed/frustrated and just quit and wait until its "fully updated" or whatnot. Frequent updates can get rather annoying. As much as I want it out, I'd rather wait a little while longer till it's "polished" up to Palm standards (if that is truly what they are waiting around for).

Either case, as long as we're already in and messing around and have gotten it working, I don't think its SUCH a huge emergency to have the SDK out ASAP before the Pre fails and Palm implodes upon itself and every Pre on the planet disintegrates.

For people like me, who want to learn programming for the Pre, or start out, and don't have a Pre already to root and try out on... yeah. I want the SDK/emu out tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by antonio3 View Post
    double edged sword.. darned if you.. darned if you don't
    Agreed.
  11.    #11  
    Don't get me wrong, I want it out ASAP, but if they release it now, and keep sending people updates every week, developers are going to get annoyed/frustrated and just quit and wait until its "fully updated" or whatnot.
    Then release it and let us decide if it is ready or not. For a seasoned
    developer, buggy SDK's are a way of life. But I don't think the SDK is
    buggy if independent developers are already releasing apps... I mean how
    bad can it be? AND LOL, every app in the Pre is based on the SDK and I'd
    call them fairly solid.
    Eh. Agreed.

But from the looks of things, Palm is going for a very professional, elegant, self-contained kind of look (based on what i've seen, and launching the WebOS Doctor), they seem to be going for that polished professional look. I'm assuming the SDK they had to work with didn't have a flashy GUI or any extra bells and whistles which i'm expecting on the official release.
    At least leak it. Then they can't be blamed for the lack of polish.
    I would love that the SDK is released to us, and just let us get on with producing some Apps for the Pre If it is released under the clause that the SKD is not 100% finished and that there are problems, then most people will be fine with that. I mean, I'd rather have a slightly unpolished SDK than nowt !!
    I suspect the reason for no SDK is:
    1.Legal issues (i.e. they need to go through all the code and SDK that they are releasing and make sure they have proper permission from any 3rd parties that may have provided technologies and APIs for the phone to publish those specs)
    2.The need to make sure its safe (i.e. that the Pre and WebOS is protected from malware and anything else nasty)
    3.Carrier issues (as we have seen with Sprint, they need to make sure that the SDK cant be easily abused to do things the carriers don't like e.g. sucking up huge amounts of network bandwidth)

Palm seems to be caught between a rock and a hard place here. On the one hand, they need to make WebOS as open as possible in order to get developers to actually develop for the thing in order to not go out of business. But on the other hand, if they go too far in making it open, carriers will refuse to carry it and they go out of business anyway due to no sales.

More to the point though, they need to release the Pre in other countries (when they did the deal with Sprint, they should have only given them exclusivity in countries Sprint operates in, i.e. the USA, why does Sprint care that its also available in Europe or Canada as long as its not possible to use it with another US carrier)

EDIT:
    Another possibility is that they just haven't got the infrastructure for distributing apps ready yet (I have no clue if it will be like Apple where you need approval from Palm to load apps or if it will be like Google where you only need approval to be in the Palm App Store
    Last edited by jonwil; 06/17/2009 at 02:46 AM.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
    More to the point though, they need to release the Pre in other countries (when they did the deal with Sprint, they should have only given them exclusivity in countries Sprint operates in, i.e. the USA, why does Sprint care that its also available in Europe or Canada as long as its not possible to use it with another US carrier)
    The delay in international carrier announcements has nothing to do with Sprint exclusivity - they've got to hammer out deals with other carriers, and I'm sure Palm wanted to make sure they had every base covered for the intial US rollout before starting to juggle multiple launches around the world.

Quote Originally Posted by jonwil View Post
    Another possibility is that they just haven't got the infrastructure for distributing apps ready yet (I have no clue if it will be like Apple where you need approval from Palm to load apps or if it will be like Google where you only need approval to be in the Palm App Store
    As far as I remember, they've said that you can side-load apps onto your Pre from your PC, but that plan might have changed.
    Global Posts
    918 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    At least leak it. Then they can't be blamed for the lack of polish.
    Or a beta release. The consumer software clearly needs to be "final" but a beta is not only acceptable, but almost the norm, for development tools, surely.

Then again, the long delay between the announcement and the release of the phone hints at either technical problems, or a pre(pardonthepun!)-release dictated by Palm's financial position.
    PalmPilot Professional...Palm Vx...Treo 600...Treo 680...HTC Touch HD...iPhone 4S...
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    Oh yeah, so much for all you theorists, was a SDK made available when the first iPhone was released...?

By your reasoning, it's definitely *NOT* a successful product. No wonder why Steve is gone now. The health issue must be a smoke-screen.

I understand that some people *feel* and *want* the SDK ASAP, and I personally want to see that happens TOO! But pleaseeeeeeeeeeeeee, get your pseudo-logic out of here.
    and release often. We are developers, not end users. If the SDK is good
    enough for hundreds it's good enough for all of us. I just don't buy that
    argument, I think there must be something Palm is hiding that is a much bigger
    problem. Has anyone actually talked to someone that has the SDK that is not
    a BIG name?
    Maybe they don't have all the documentation wrapped up and would rather deal with questions from 'the hundreds' of Palm developers that they already have a working relationship with than having everyone and their pet dog deluge them with questions.

I'm guessing that once the WebOS book that's on Safari Rough Cuts is ready to go to press, they'll release the SDK and drive some book sales.
    Quote Originally Posted by hrminer92 View Post
    Maybe they don't have all the documentation wrapped up and would rather deal with questions from 'the hundreds' of Palm developers that they already have a working relationship with than having everyone and their pet dog deluge them with questions.

I'm guessing that once the WebOS book that's on Safari Rough Cuts is ready to go to press, they'll release the SDK and drive some book sales.

I wonder what chapter they are on... i guess in the mean time i'll go buy the book.. and start reading!.. WTF.. LoL i just want Palm to grow into a monster!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast